SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 21 March 2019, 09:32
Confirmed User

'Greasing the Groove' Workout Theory

‘Greasing the Groove’ Workout Theory

Came across this recently and I find it interesting because it takes a different approach to strength training. This method was supposedly developed by the Russian military for their Spetznatz training, and I’ve always found that the Russians have some interesting idea’s and a ton of research on performance training for their athletes.

The premise with GTG training is that strength training is a ‘skill’ (never thought of it that way), and like any skill, needs to be practiced daily.

Unlike Traditional strength training (‘tearing muscle down to failure in order for it grow back stronger’). In the GTG theory, you are working at 40-70% of your max, and NEVER to failure in order to strengthen the neurological pathways hence.... ‘greasing the groove’. So, some basic exercises multiple times a day, 20 sets on up and never to failure.

Their heavy lifting days are only a couple times per week, and always at a percentage of their 1RM, then supplemented with a similar movement (say the squat) on the ‘off’ days.

I’ve been doing something similar now (although I train one 45 minute session per day) in my ‘Full Potato Workout’ (which I’ve modified). Also, when hiking with the wife, I’ll do 10-20 pushups multiple times over a 4.5 mile course and hit about 400-500 (using various boulders along the way, so different elevations)….kinda similar idea.

Leopardprey has some similar thoughts in his 3x 15 minute per day workout thread. Anyway....some interesting reading.

https://johnfawkes.com/greasing-the-...endurance/amp/

http://www.100pushups.com/greasing-the-groove/

Thoughts??

(no shovels were thrown in the making of this thread)
Old 21 March 2019, 09:35
Pirate and Rogue

Shovels. Now that's funny. You probably get cross points for that sir

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 21 March 2019, 14:50
Confirmed User

GTG is the foundational thesis underneath the "hard-style" version of kettlebell and strength training, as originally brought to the US (and elsewhere) by Pavel Tsatsouline. I'm not saying he invented it - but he certainly helped spread the word. When it was first introduced to me about 8 years ago, it was revolutionary. "Strength is a skill", and that a good deal of strength is sourced from the nervous system. Eye-opening. Anyhow, I have embraced these concepts as the core of my training, and have adhered to them faithfully over the years. The benefits, for me, have been excellent.
Old 21 March 2019, 17:09
Been There Done That

Want to train like a Russian, use steroids.
Old 21 March 2019, 18:47
Confirmed User

It's nothing "new" per se. A good example is that I've been slacking on training for way too long, but I will still do considerably more push-ups / pull ups etc. than the average Joe off the street - while for example my max. bench press will not be too different from his.

The reason is that there is way more to strength than the "isolated" strength of the muscles used for any particular exercise. Doing a push-up efficiently, not only on the macro level (as in executing them efficiently for your specific body type), but also on the physiological and neurological level is indeed a learned skill. The way your body deals with the exertion on the physiological level and the way your nervous system learns to have the muscles work together efficiently... I don't think you truly unlearn it.

One of the reasons that free weights and more complex motions will be more beneficial in most cases than "unnatural" motions that go straight from point A to point B. The body will still learn on the above mentioned level, but it will not be well translated to more real-life applications.

I hope I made sense.
Old 21 March 2019, 19:18
Supporterator

Learning in my 20s that strength was a neurological function (thanks to the aforementioned Pavel Tsatsouline) was a major training aid in and of itself.

Wish I had known in my teens!
Old 22 March 2019, 10:53
Doc McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
GTG is the foundational thesis underneath the "hard-style" version of kettlebell and strength training, as originally brought to the US (and elsewhere) by Pavel Tsatsouline. I'm not saying he invented it - but he certainly helped spread the word. When it was first introduced to me about 8 years ago, it was revolutionary. "Strength is a skill", and that a good deal of strength is sourced from the nervous system. Eye-opening. Anyhow, I have embraced these concepts as the core of my training, and have adhered to them faithfully over the years. The benefits, for me, have been excellent.
Concur with all. I started Pavel's Beyond Bodybuilding in my 40s and loved it. Bottom line, is you always train within 70% of your 1RM, and you always leave reps in the tank - never train your muscles to go to failure.
My only prob was that my connective tissue couldn't keep up with my gains. The "itis" started in around 3mos, and then it's switch up time.
Old 24 March 2019, 07:17
BTDT

Pavel marketed this big time, back in the (?)90s. Sure it'll work - EVERYTHING WORKS... until it doesn't. It's not like if you GTG only, that you will improve forever. CNS adaptation eventually stops (CNS adaptation is what happens big time, in new trainees - it's why they can make "gains" without adding appreciable amounts of muscle tissue). You then need some type of overload to continue (you can of course, maintain good fitness, with a lot less than it takes to continually improve - no Sprinter is going to win a Gold Medal by only sprinting at 70% forever though).

If you've never done it, do it - it'll be good for you. But there is no magic "this is the program!" - program. You should periodize and do different stuff throughout the year, for 99% of us.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 24 March 2019, 07:18
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Want to train like a Russian, use steroids.
Or an American... or (Insert country here)
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

Old 24 March 2019, 07:22
Administrator

Concur.

This method has been around as long as training has. Research the Saxon brothers or Sandow.

It seems to me many are looking for the magic solution instead of facing the fact that consistancy and effort are what it takes to improve, regardless of the metodology you follow.
Old 26 March 2019, 10:42
I aim to misbehave

So...slap a nifty name onto the idea of training for CNS-based strength gains. I really thought 2/3 of the strength training world had been shooting for CNS gains for years already, but I reckon I was wrong.

While true:
Continue
Old 30 March 2019, 09:38
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
So...slap a nifty name onto the idea of training for CNS-based strength gains. I really thought 2/3 of the strength training world had been shooting for CNS gains for years already, but I reckon I was wrong.
Pavel came along at the exact same time as all the hoopla over "Special Military Hand To Hand Programs". Remember in the 90's, when you couldn't pick up a "Cool Guy" gun or knife mag, without seeing "advertorial" after advertorial for the latest VHS video training program to train just like "Delta", "SEALs", or "Spetnaz"?

That's where I remember "Pavel" from - early 90's.

Our new posting rules