SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 23 May 2019, 18:29
Been There Done That

SOCNET Ranchers, Farmers, and Butchers

Over the past five years, I've led a mostly sedentary professional life, something I'm actively in the process of changing. During that time, I've tried a few different dieting protocols. I've done IIFYM, tracked macros, strict-paleo, and the last one was Keto.

The common thing for me in terms of successfully decreasing bodyfat and feeling better seems to be a combination of ultra-low carb and lots of animal protein.

I first found this out years ago, through a crazy set of circumstances, when I accidentally ordered our team close to 400lbs of steaks, roasts, and minced meat. I (and everyone else on the team) ate steak every single day for lunch and dinner. It was insane. The best part about it was that I dropped fat like there was no tomorrow, while feeling fantastic.

Enter what's now known as "the carnivore diet".

With that said, the price of meat, especially here in CA (bring the one-liners) is quite high. I've been looking at purchasing a half or full cow. Not tied to where it comes from but I'd prefer something that is not grain-fed.

Anyone here have any recommendations or owns a business that sells this type of volume?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 23 May 2019, 21:48
Confirmed User

I don't know anything about your location. I went to the local sale barn, where a weekly or monthly auction of cattle is held. You could buy a cow and have it sent it sent to a local processor. I also went to the local feed store/co-op store and got some contacts for small cattle producers.

Most "ranchers" only run 10-20 head of cattle, the ones I cultivated relationships with welcomed a known,solid buyer. Plus, you get to know the ranchers who raise free range vs the ones who finish off in a feed lot, etc.

I eventually found one guy who had a partnership with a local butcher. For a few extra bucks, the butcher would dry age the beef for 30 days. I'd put that beef against any steakhouse anywhere. All my kids are now out of the house, so I don't go thru that much beef anymore.
Old 24 May 2019, 01:30
Confirmed User

Maybe try a local farmers market. There are a couple of farms that do this at my local market.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 24 May 2019, 05:44
BTDT

Start searching something like "California Farm Co-Op" or the like. Not knowing whacky CA laws - that's where a lot of the rest of the country gets meat and raw milk - like you said, they "buy into" a percentage of the livestock.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 24 May 2019, 06:02
A/1/75

We sell Grass raised steers once or twice a year. Normally take them to the local stock sales. However we have been encouraged to get certified "Organic Grass" raised as this brings in a few extra $'s
I suggest you look around near you for certified raiser and buy direct and get it hauled to a butcher.

Charlie
Old 24 May 2019, 06:46

Buying a 1/4, 1/2 or whole beef is very common here in WV. Lots of local farmers you can buy from and that way you know exactly what you are getting (grass fed, no crazy steroids, not raised in a stall standing in it's own shit up to it's knees, etc.). Buy a deep freezer and stick in your garage and buy a half or whole is the way to go. Google a local butcher and most likely they'll have contacts with local farmers that have exactly what you're looking for. And in our area, it ends up being significantly cheaper in the long run compared to buying at the grocery store.
Old 24 May 2019, 08:57
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman2 View Post
I don't know anything about your location. I went to the local sale barn, where a weekly or monthly auction of cattle is held. You could buy a cow and have it sent it sent to a local processor. I also went to the local feed store/co-op store and got some contacts for small cattle producers.

Most "ranchers" only run 10-20 head of cattle, the ones I cultivated relationships with welcomed a known,solid buyer. Plus, you get to know the ranchers who raise free range vs the ones who finish off in a feed lot, etc.

I eventually found one guy who had a partnership with a local butcher. For a few extra bucks, the butcher would dry age the beef for 30 days. I'd put that beef against any steakhouse anywhere. All my kids are now out of the house, so I don't go thru that much beef anymore.

Oh, to have some of that tasty treat! Tender!

In other news, perhaps to hold you over. I've ordered these regularly. I like them. Cut to desired thickness.

They come to you fast and well packaged & frozen.

Link->https://grasslandbeef.com/primals
Old 24 May 2019, 09:50
Been There Done That

I am just happy reading this post. I have been stressed out over the last year, worrying Mixedload might end up a soy milk latte sipping vegan, him living in Kalifornia (and having European blood). So this post has brought me much comfort knowing that he is still a red meat eating gun slinger.
Old 24 May 2019, 10:36
Another pool cleaner

ML, our family buys half a cow every year.

(1) Go find a cow, go to the local 4H or state fairs.

Find the cows that are grown by the 4H participants. These young folks are dedicated and reliable. They should be rewarded. Bid on said cows at auction.

Or sift through the local farms for beef cow, pork pigs, meat birds, etc...

The local State Univ Ag Co-op may have a list of local meat farmers.

(2) Find a partner. Someone whom you can go half or quarter cow.

(3) Then find a local butcher who is reliable and sanitary.

We partner with another guy. He does all the leg work.

I pay about 1/2 to 2/3 of grocery price for beef.

You need freezer space. I have 2 large freezers to keep the meat. Remember to have a generator that can sustain the freezers during power outs. Otherwise, you'll have cubic feet of fetid carcass to deal with.

Good luck.
Old 24 May 2019, 11:09
Been There Done That

Mixedload, in all seriousness, besides buying a grass fed cow for butchering - have you looked into Deer or Elk hunting? Come fall, you might really enjoy the challenge and stalk of a bow hunt, and the pure organic venison it produces. If you have not done before (cannot remember if you hunt/hunted before).
Old 24 May 2019, 12:24
Policeman Officer

No more all soy diet?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 24 May 2019, 12:41
Confirmed User

Yep ... Couple of cow elk should keep you stocked up.

Being from the rural South ... a pellet rifle and squirrels are a challenge. But good eats as well.

Don't forget Easter SEAL's

"DJT 2016"... He didn't know it couldn't be done
Old 24 May 2019, 16:15
been ***** **** that

I am in agreement in the wild game with a bow or gun. There is some good hunting near you, or so. The bidding on an animal through the local 4H is also a great idea. Living on a farm , I would go to the farm kids and see if you could pay for a steer that is not being raised as a show animal, way cheaper, just may not have the desired blood lines, but just as tasty. One other option is if you know a farmer that has an injured steer , heifer, or cow that is critical but still standing. I have butchered a few this way as I could not see all that meat going into dog chow!
Old 24 May 2019, 16:38
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman2 View Post

That is great insight. I'm going to search for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
We sell Grass raised steers once or twice a year. Normally take them to the local stock sales. However we have been encouraged to get certified "Organic Grass" raised as this brings in a few extra $'s
I suggest you look around near you for certified raiser and buy direct and get it hauled to a butcher.
You guys get that going and I'll buy one from you. And it appears a few others will too. :thumbsup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Start searching something like "California Farm Co-Op" or the like. Not knowing whacky CA laws - that's where a lot of the rest of the country gets meat and raw milk - like you said, they "buy into" a percentage of the livestock.
I did. It's almost cultish here when it comes to co-op. Was trying to get into one to get a better deal to raw feed my dog and ended up just saying fuck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Maybe try a local farmers market. There are a couple of farms that do this at my local market.
Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
No more all soy diet?
I'm really trying to be mature in my response here but you make it so hard.

Old 24 May 2019, 16:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
In other news, perhaps to hold you over. I've ordered these regularly. I like them. Cut to desired thickness.

They come to you fast and well packaged & frozen.

Link->https://grasslandbeef.com/primals
Those look fantastic. The price is not terrible either. Thanks for the pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I am just happy reading this post. I have been stressed out over the last year, worrying Mixedload might end up a soy milk latte sipping vegan, him living in Kalifornia (and having European blood). So this post has brought me much comfort knowing that he is still a red meat eating gun slinger.
Aren't you too busy campaigning for your Mayor Pete to worry about me, Sensei?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
ML, our family buys half a cow every year.

(1) Go find a cow, go to the local 4H or state fairs.

Find the cows that are grown by the 4H participants. These young folks are dedicated and reliable. They should be rewarded. Bid on said cows at auction.

Or sift through the local farms for beef cow, pork pigs, meat birds, etc...

The local State Univ Ag Co-op may have a list of local meat farmers.

(2) Find a partner. Someone whom you can go half or quarter cow.

(3) Then find a local butcher who is reliable and sanitary.

We partner with another guy. He does all the leg work.

I pay about 1/2 to 2/3 of grocery price for beef.

You need freezer space. I have 2 large freezers to keep the meat. Remember to have a generator that can sustain the freezers during power outs. Otherwise, you'll have cubic feet of fetid carcass to deal with.

Good luck.
That is a great step-by-step process to follow. Will check into that as well. Thank you for taking the time to write it all out, brother.

Quote:
Mixedload, in all seriousness, besides buying a grass fed cow for butchering - have you looked into Deer or Elk hunting? Come fall, you might really enjoy the challenge and stalk of a bow hunt, and the pure organic venison it produces. If you have not done before (cannot remember if you hunt/hunted before).
I've never hunted before, but in this case I can clearly see the benefit. Finding the time will be the challenge for me. I'll look into it. Do you hunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I am in agreement in the wild game with a bow or gun. There is some good hunting near you, or so. The bidding on an animal through the local 4H is also a great idea. Living on a farm , I would go to the farm kids and see if you could pay for a steer that is not being raised as a show animal, way cheaper, just may not have the desired blood lines, but just as tasty. One other option is if you know a farmer that has an injured steer , heifer, or cow that is critical but still standing. I have butchered a few this way as I could not see all that meat going into dog chow!
Great insights. I'll add those to my list of questions for the local farmers. Thank you!

Old 24 May 2019, 16:47
Been There Done That

For geographical reference, I'm in the greater San Francisco Bay Area / Silicon Valley.

It's not only expensive to buy groceries here but everyone is either a complete slob or damn-near biohacker. So prices for good quality stuff here are jacked up like crazy because the demand is here. The challenge for me will be to find a good, ethical, non-price gouging supplier.

Old 24 May 2019, 17:19
Been There Done That

Yes, I hunt. When here in Indiana. Rabbit and Deer.

For Deer I use Bow, Crossbow, and modern muzzle loader. Sometimes a rifle. Try to get at least one deer a season.

Think of hunting as Hiking with a purpose.

Putting those Ranger skills to work. Being out in nature. The peacefulness along with the adventure. Combined with the conservation management benefits and having a better understanding of ecology.

The reward is the pride you have of harvesting your own game - pure organic meat. Not to sound too esoteric, but really tunes you into nature and puts one mind back into that primal hunting mode we were made for. We were designed to be hunter/gatherers not cubicle dwellers chained to a desk staring at a computer screen. Since many have to do that for work, hunting fuels a primal need.

Here in Indiana we have many organic grass fed cattle places now to buy from, and getting more in demand. Have several friends and neighbors that buy a half cow every year. Or a whole pig or a lamb. Two of my grocery stores here have a organic grass fed meat section as well, mostly from local stock, and prices are usually just a few bucks more per pound so I usually just go that route. If I get 1-2 deer, that gives me several months of venison.

Mixedload, thanks for posting as well, as reminds me need to get back more on my primal/keto/carnivore route as have been sliding back into the easy to do processed carbs/fast food/pizza route.

Last edited by leopardprey; 24 May 2019 at 17:25.
Old 24 May 2019, 18:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Yes, I hunt. When here in Indiana. Rabbit and Deer.

For Deer I use Bow, Crossbow, and modern muzzle loader. Sometimes a rifle. Try to get at least one deer a season.

Think of hunting as Hiking with a purpose.

Putting those Ranger skills to work. Being out in nature. The peacefulness along with the adventure. Combined with the conservation management benefits and having a better understanding of ecology.

The reward is the pride you have of harvesting your own game - pure organic meat. Not to sound too esoteric, but really tunes you into nature and puts one mind back into that primal hunting mode we were made for. We were designed to be hunter/gatherers not cubicle dwellers chained to a desk staring at a computer screen. Since many have to do that for work, hunting fuels a primal need.

Here in Indiana we have many organic grass fed cattle places now to buy from, and getting more in demand. Have several friends and neighbors that buy a half cow every year. Or a whole pig or a lamb. Two of my grocery stores here have a organic grass fed meat section as well, mostly from local stock, and prices are usually just a few bucks more per pound so I usually just go that route. If I get 1-2 deer, that gives me several months of venison.

Mixedload, thanks for posting as well, as reminds me need to get back more on my primal/keto/carnivore route as have been sliding back into the easy to do processed carbs/fast food/pizza route.
Prices here tend to be about 50% more, minimum, for grassfed protein. It’s crazy expensive.

As for the food choices you talk about at the end of your post, I just read the summary of a CICO diet analysis. People who consumed the same net amount of calories on processed foods (in that study) gained fat while those who ate whole foods lost fat.

The whole processed food thing is a treacherous lifestyle impediment masking as convenience.

Old 24 May 2019, 20:42
Been There Done That

If you know dudes who live well outside the Bay Area you may be able to get a good hookup on beef. I get mine from family back east and in other locations and find myself hooking up other family members who don’t have easy access to cattle. It’s easy to find quality meat. Finding it for a good price can be difficult if you’re in the city or burbs.
Old 24 May 2019, 21:06
Confirmed User

Maybe check out 5280 Meat (5280meat.com). Right now they are saying they only do wholesale, but in the past they would do 1/4, 1/2, full - and even pre-butchered bundles. Me and a friend would go in on 1/2, which would last me quite a long time. The meat was excellent. Hopefully they will open up sales to retail again - when/if they do - I would consider going in with someone here if interested.

Our new posting rules