SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 26 November 2014, 05:00
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
I still think I got a whole hell of a lot more gun than I paid for at about $2850 all said and done.
It sure seems that way. You guys have sold me on the LMT, and I'll probably pay what I have to. That said, if I can get it for less....

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"
Old 26 November 2014, 08:19
Confirmed User

I have the LMT MWS and it is a great gun, very heavy but a great gun. I have 2 POFs in 5.56 and would never buy one again. One thing I do not like about the POF in 5.56 among others is that I can not use Pmags in them, the lower has a magwell so tight they just do not work.
Old 26 November 2014, 10:31
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndrgrbn82-85 View Post
I have the LMT MWS and it is a great gun, very heavy but a great gun. I have 2 POFs in 5.56 and would never buy one again. One thing I do not like about the POF in 5.56 among others is that I can not use Pmags in them, the lower has a magwell so tight they just do not work.
All I use are Pmags in mine. Mine is a little "older" however
Old 26 November 2014, 10:35
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
what's the deal on the roller head? And under what applications should it be used?
It should always be used. If you have a POF in .308 with out the caster looking roller wheel on the head of your bolt retention key, call POF and have them replace it. It makes the bolt operate more smoothly in a system with very tight tolerances.
Old 3 December 2014, 08:00
Confirmed User

I bought all the parts to do a custom build 20 months ago using an Iron Ridge Arms lower, a KAC URX rail and other quality parts. Sourcing quality parts that worked well was a hassle. There was a bit of trial and error.

At the same time, I also bought an LMT. As I look at the two, the LMT is the no brainer. My custom build is top notch, but I wasted a lot of time and money to get close to a production LMT.

I just bought some Lancer 308 mags and have not tried them yet. We were the first Lancer distributor back in 2007 or 2008. I always like their mags. I have been out of the business for a while, but wanted to T&E the new 308 mags. Has anyone used these?
Old 3 December 2014, 11:15
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDITheman View Post
I bought all the parts to do a custom build 20 months ago using an Iron Ridge Arms lower, a KAC URX rail and other quality parts. Sourcing quality parts that worked well was a hassle. There was a bit of trial and error.

At the same time, I also bought an LMT. As I look at the two, the LMT is the no brainer. My custom build is top notch, but I wasted a lot of time and money to get close to a production LMT.

I just bought some Lancer 308 mags and have not tried them yet. We were the first Lancer distributor back in 2007 or 2008. I always like their mags. I have been out of the business for a while, but wanted to T&E the new 308 mags. Has anyone used these?
Yeah, I received a few of the Lancers to T&E from an LGS a little while back. They work well enough that I would continue to use them regularly and would pack them for a trip into harm's way without hesitation. They are listed at a fairly high MSRP but when compared to the HK offerings that are very similar, the Lancers seem like a bargain.

One thing I like about the PMAGs over others, and I'm far from a Magpul fanboy for reference sake, is the easily removed base plate. When putting a mag through the ringer, the first thing to cause failure is the collection of dirt in between the rounds creating a slow or stop in the feeding. Even if you have a near-perfect balance of gas and buffer, having your rounds bind up and not freely move up and out of the mag, it doesn't take much to get the bolt caught on that stuck round. Where this is particularly relevant in a 7.62 gun is the tendency to be used in a precision role. When in the prone or a low kneeling position, you're gonna get more dirt kicking up (every muzzle device is going to make this different) and may be pulling mags and doing mag changes inches off the ground. When I have had the issues with dirty mags, I like how easily I can pull off the base plate of the mag to either field strip and completely reload, or to partially remove the base and relieve tension on the rounds, shaking out the grit.

As an aside, I wanted to briefly address the comment made in my thread about my owning a quality rifle and being in a rough spot for my family. For those interested, my purchase of the LMT was compensated at the time as I was expected to use it, and all of my own firearms that were applicable, as tools for my occupation. There are also vendors and shops who ask me to test products and give feedback. And finally, GPC and the few members who know the entirety of my situation know that my gun safe was part of the assets to be converted to funds upon my....demise. I only address that in the chance anyone else thinks that I am wading through this mess because of some expensive habits, which is far from the truth in this case.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 3 December 2014, 12:39
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
I wanted to briefly address the comment made in my thread about my owning a quality rifle and being in a rough spot for my family. For those interested, my purchase of the LMT was compensated at the time as I was expected to use it, and all of my own firearms that were applicable, as tools for my occupation. There are also vendors and shops who ask me to test products and give feedback. And finally, GPC and the few members who know the entirety of my situation know that my gun safe was part of the assets to be converted to funds upon my....demise. I only address that in the chance anyone else thinks that I am wading through this mess because of some expensive habits, which is far from the truth in this case.
All true,SOW is a solid honest dude.He did what he had to do enough said.
Old 3 December 2014, 14:33

SOW_0331

I would like to hear more about the lancer 308. I think they are a really good company, I love their 308 magazines. But I have yet to get under one of those 308 platforms they make. Please do tell.
Old 3 December 2014, 19:43
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo180 View Post
SOW_0331

I would like to hear more about the lancer 308. I think they are a really good company, I love their 308 magazines. But I have yet to get under one of those 308 platforms they make. Please do tell.
I believe he was talking about the mags.
Old 9 December 2014, 22:49
Been There Done That

CDNN is having an Armalite blowout -- 16 and 20-inch AR-10s for just under a thousand.

Armalites can run hot and cold. I have two and am building a third. When they're running right they're hard to be beat -- but it might take a little polishing.

The AR-10T is one of the first rifles I was able to get a teenager and a couple of other shooters to get first-shot, clean-cold hits at 1,000-yards -- from a rifle coming out of a bag and set at zero.

They share the same DNA as KACs and LMTs as Karl Lewis at LMT did work or got advice from Reed Knight on his work.

PSA's Christmas special is a 7.62 M4-like carbine right at $700.
Old 10 December 2014, 15:30
Confirmed User

You guys have pretty sold me on the LMT....As always great advice from SOCNET.

Thanks to all
Old 28 January 2015, 14:49
Confirmed User

Do you guys find the 16" 7.62 rifles throw out a lot of flash?
That LMT 16" looks like an excellent rifle. I'm seriously thinking about getting one. Expensive....
Old 12 February 2015, 13:57
Been There Done That

Question

Getting ready to purchase a new AR pattern 7.62 soon and wanted to see if anyone can provide feedback on the new DPMS Gen II? I know it's only been out for a few months.

http://dpms-gii.com/full.html
Old 15 March 2015, 12:49
Bitter old man.

Checked out a Colt 901 Modular carbine today.
Lightweight takes SR25 pattern mags.For $1600 you would think it would come with irons?
Old 15 March 2015, 21:27
Confirmed User

Everything I've seen indicates that LWRC, LaRue, LMT are excellent.
I too am curious about the the dpms gen II. It looks like they put some serious engineering into it.
I'll probably hold off until Arsenal Democracy comes out with theirs. I'm looking forward to seeing their design. Their stuff is very nice.
Old 15 March 2015, 21:45
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM View Post
Getting ready to purchase a new AR pattern 7.62 soon and wanted to see if anyone can provide feedback on the new DPMS Gen II? I know it's only been out for a few months.

http://dpms-gii.com/full.html
Short version.

Pros are the weight, it's not much heavier than its 5.56 cousins in most configurations and you can use standard AR handguards. And it's pretty well priced for a .308 gun.

Cons are...well it's a DPMS and they've been known to cut a corner or two. And in true DPMS fashion, there seem to be very few mags that will work well for the gun as is. Im not looking to have to take a dremel to my PMAGS to get them to feed right. And I know there's not really a "standard" for mag type when it comes to the .308 gas guns, but damn. Seems every serious contender providing them for military contracts across the world was able to get on the same page, barring FN and the SCAR. Also the weight saving might seem great on paper, but I'm fine with the extra weight of the LMT for the heavier barrel that I prefer for the larger, hotter burning round. And the recoil isn't even something to be compared to a 5.56 gun. That's like saying that a Mossberg 590 with a telescoping butt stock is inferior to a 500 with a pistol grip because it's longer.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 15 March 2015, 21:52
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
That LMT 16" looks like an excellent rifle. I'm seriously thinking about getting one. Expensive....
No not any more than you'll get out of a 20" barrel. Of course the real factors in that will be what ammo you're firing through what muzzle device, not really anything I can guess universally.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 23 March 2015, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
No, I've not noticed any excessive flash.

I've got a KAC SR-25 ECC and it's a great rifle. I've shot it out to 1100 yards making hits almost as easy as my GAP bolt gun, except that there's more drop due to less velocity. The gun shines in the 200 - 600 yard range while maintaining close-up capability, easy mobility and fast follow-up shots.
Old 29 May 2015, 18:39
Bitter old man.

Tried SOW's LMT the other day very impressed.Accurate and soft shooting.
Old 30 May 2015, 00:25
The Sagacious One

I just heard that POF is coming out with a lightweight version in .308. Supposed to weigh less than 7 lbs. I am waiting on that.

Our new posting rules