Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 15 June 2018, 10:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
They wont ship it either...
That sucks.

This defy is on sale today.

https://defybags.com/collections/freaky-friday/products/bucktown-backpack-black-semi-tarp
Old 19 June 2018, 14:31
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I recently picked up one of these (huge fan of Frost River, have other luggage of theirs). If I'm picking a go bag it better last me for if SHTF, meaning a year. or 10. This will.

They have all kinds of other bags, from day packs to roll tops. Made in USA, by Americans, using high quality last forever material.

And you don't look tactigay either

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/cano...shcraft-packs/
Yeah, Frost River, Duluth, etc make great waxed canvas bags. I have the LL Bean waxed Canvas for about $100 or so less the FR/DP.
They're damn near bomb proof, they blend in, BUT, they are heavier and it's harder in some models to get to pockets, etc if you need something quickly. But, they are old-school bad ass
Old 22 June 2018, 06:15
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
They wont ship it either...
Really. That surprises me. My last time downrange I ordered a few SOG things through amazon with no problems.

Curious, did you try to place an order and have the "not eligible for shipping to your location" tag pop up or did you find out some other way?

In Alaska I run into the "not eligible" thing frequently when I try to order something with a lithium ion battery in it, but have never heard of a pack being an issue.

Last edited by hawkdrver; 22 June 2018 at 06:25.
Old 22 June 2018, 12:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Really. That surprises me. My last time downrange I ordered a few SOG things through amazon with no problems.

Curious, did you try to place an order and have the "not eligible for shipping to your location" tag pop up or did you find out some other way?

In Alaska I run into the "not eligible" thing frequently when I try to order something with a lithium ion battery in it, but have never heard of a pack being an issue.
"This product requires special handling and is not available for shipping to your location".

Problem solved- I went onto MidwayUSA's site and they WILL ship to me but their Amazon sales wont???
Old 22 June 2018, 16:13
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
"This product requires special handling and is not available for shipping to your location".

Problem solved- I went onto MidwayUSA's site and they WILL ship to me but their Amazon sales wont???
Who knows. I made the mistake of calling Amazon to ask WTF once. Not worth the effort.

e: I have too much free time today so I called SOG. Their rep was pretty surprised to hear that you you were having problems. Which pack was it again?

Last edited by hawkdrver; 22 June 2018 at 16:23.
Old 22 June 2018, 16:45
Been There Done That

SOG Responder Bag-no big deal now that my other bag is on the way.

I'll be using it to carry 2 motorolas and the other things needed to perform as a Site Lead...
Old 22 June 2018, 18:34
Red Headed Stepchild

Since I run into this so often I decided to make a couple more calls just out of curiosity.

If a pack isn't on the SOG website, it's made under license by Torg Outdoors. Neither they nor SOG have any issues shipping to an APO address by the way.

I picked one of the countries that Amazon ships to, and tried to ship a bag there...got the same message RGR M did. I called customer service, actually got a supervisor from the US, and told her what was up. The only explanation she could come up with was that certain third party shippers just don't accept international orders. I pointed out that APO addresses aren't international, at which point she said "then I have no idea."

Glad you got it through MidwayUSA. There have been a couple of times where I had to have Amazon send an item to my in laws in Florida and have them remail it.
Old 5 July 2018, 15:10
Been There Done That

Just found out that Midway cancelled the order saying dont ship to forwarders or international accounts; I got on their chat and explained that I live in TN but I work in Baghdad, and that the item was shipping through a DPO.

The CS rep was courteous but in the end, no bag.I'm going to try SOG
Old 6 July 2018, 08:57
Confirmed User

17 straight years of this and we still can't get a bag shipped to someone in Iraq? RGR. M, sir, if you can't get them to ship it to you please let us know and we will get you what you need.

Absurd situation.
Old 6 July 2018, 09:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Just found out that Midway cancelled the order saying dont ship to forwarders or international accounts; I got on their chat and explained that I live in TN but I work in Baghdad, and that the item was shipping through a DPO.

The CS rep was courteous but in the end, no bag.I'm going to try SOG
Good lord.

Ship it to me. I'll ship it to you.
Old 6 July 2018, 09:41
Been There Done That

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help but I found a Condor Bail Out bag on amazon that will ship. Now to wait 2-4 weeks - again..

The CS person at Midway couldn't figure it out either...

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 6 July 2018 at 09:47.
Old 6 July 2018, 10:38
The Sagacious One

Have your wife buy it and ship it to you. Is there an ATRRS restriction on them?
Old 6 July 2018, 10:45
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Have your wife buy it and ship it to you. Is there an ATRRS restriction on them?

No, it's just a bag. Both of the manufacturers said they have no problem sending to APO addresses, so it's not clear why Amazon (and Midway USA, I guess) put that restriction on them.
Old 6 July 2018, 12:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I'm good now. I'll probably get it in the mail here after I get home on vacation...

Our mail flow has dropped to a trickle- I have stuff sitting at the DPO (according to UPS and USPS) waiting to be shipped over. Some of it has been there for over a week.
Old 11 July 2018, 11:44

I added contact/communication cards to all my kits and to my friends and families' wallets. On one side, there is a list of phone numbers. On the other side is a series of symbols I made up. These include a symbol for "I left house, meet at rally point 1", "I left house, will return", "danger present", etc.

We discreetly mark predetermined areas with symbols in case the wife is home and has to leave while I am out, so I will know where she is.

Symbols are for when phone connectivity has been lost or cell towers are overloaded (happens frequently in my town when there is a large gathering of people at one area).

@Joker - late to the game but WRT 5.11 rush 12 & 24: 12 = too small for me so didn't give it a serious test. 24 is a good bag. I gave it a workout over a few months, carried it no more than 14 miles with 30lbs and beat the heck out of it with an adventure race. It's comfortable, wears well and carries well. I didn't ultimately keep it because it has way too many pockets for me and doesn't completely open up (I prefer total clamshell opening bags). These are nitpicky personal preferences, so I would recommend the 24.

Our new posting rules