Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 17 May 2017, 20:45
Authorized Personnel

Any WordPress Pros Here?

I am having a tough time using the plugin Yoast for my on-page SEO.

Is the 'readability' tool accurate? It says I have a paragraph on my Homepage that has more than 150 words. I do not have a paragraph that long, yet it shows an orange light instead of green. I dont understand what it is reading at this point.

I HATE THIS SHIT!!!!!!!

Someone please help me so I don't have to ram my face into my monitor.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell
Old 18 May 2017, 00:09
Vivat Fraternitatis

Yoast is finicky. Try turning off essential grid. Make sure WP and Yoast are both upgraded to the most recent versions. Might also be a conflict with your theme or page builder.

Go to their Github issues page: https://github <dot> com/Yoast/wordpress-seo/issues and in the search bar replace "is: issue is: open" with "word count." Scan the previous issues people have posted about shitty word count and see if one of those remediation steps helps.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:34
Authorized Personnel

Thanks MB!! I spoke with someone who told me it is likely that Yoast is reading the code in my theme along with my text. Will this affect my on-page SEO?

I will hit your links and read through the issues page(s). I appreciate your input.

I barely know what I am doing as it is. So any and all the input I can get is a big deal.

Use WordPress they said. It is so easy they said. Making a site is cake they said. I am going to kill "They" when i find em!

On a positive note, my site is up and functional. So there is that. Searchable? I have no clue ha! One calamity at a time.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell
Old 18 May 2017, 01:41
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Thanks MB!! I spoke with someone who told me it is likely that Yoast is reading the code in my theme along with my text. Will this affect my on-page SEO?

I will hit your links and read through the issues page(s). I appreciate your input.

I barely know what I am doing as it is. So any and all the input I can get is a big deal.

Use WordPress they said. It is so easy they said. Making a site is cake they said. I am going to kill "They" when i find em!

On a positive note, my site is up and functional. So there is that. Searchable? I have no clue ha! One calamity at a time.
Shouldn't affect your SEO. Google algorithm is smart enough to parse out the code.

Yeah dude - I fucked around with WP back in the day and between maintaining the themes, upgrading every time a security vulnerability came out, and all the other bullshit I got sick of it. I use Squarespace now and I will never look back. Highly recommend if it's not too late.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
Shouldn't affect your SEO. Google algorithm is smart enough to parse out the code.

Yeah dude - I fucked around with WP back in the day and between maintaining the themes, upgrading every time a security vulnerability came out, and all the other bullshit I got sick of it. I use Squarespace now and I will never look back. Highly recommend if it's not too late.
Oh its too late. I have already spent way too many hours learning and fucking things up in WP to get where I am now. I am on the 5 yard line finally, no way am I giving up now! I am pretty damned proud of what I accomplished to this point.

Our new posting rules