Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 10 August 2016, 21:22
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Bolded part was probably ripped from my brain about 4 years ago when I first started hearing about these damn things.

There is NOTHING about the Yeti coolers that justifies the price tag. Yetis are expense and "in demand" because it's now a 'status symbol' for all the stupid "saltwater life" frat-tacular fuckbois that want to peacock-signal to other suburban faggots that they are in the same bi-curious dick-sucking "club".

I used to float the Guadalupe river a while back in my college days and we'd all do the 'rip apart/cut holes in the igloo cooler and turn it into a beer-storing stereo system' thing. And it was cool because it was like $75 of work, was fun to do, and it kept our jello shots and beer cold and fed us tunes all day on the river with a go-kart battery.

One day it all went to shit when, of course, some group of fucking greek faggots in sperry's, 80s sunglasses, and plaid shorts took their lawyer daddy's allowance money and bought a 75qt Yeti cooler (~$500) and took it to an actual fab shop and ruined it by having it holes and shit drilled in it. And to add insult to injury, these fucking kids filled the thing with shitty Natty Lite beer. Not to mention we're all trying to jam out to Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin and these cunts decide to start playing Katy Perry and other gay pop songs.
You seem swell.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 11 August 2016, 10:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegnr View Post
I picked up the Academy copy of the yeti. 50 quart for 199. Works great keeping ice in the back of the truck in Alabama summer heat. The time I have trouble is in the back of my truck with the trifold cover.
Is that this one? Magellan Outdoors
Old 15 August 2016, 09:13
Authorized Personnel

We put in only 1 bag of ice into the 52 qt OT cooler and a bunch of chilled items from the fridge (no frozen items). It then went inside a 5x8 Uhaul trailer on Friday morning at around 7:30 am. Opened at 3 pm on Sunday afternoon after driving across the country. No ice, but the water was still very cold and so was everything inside it.

Not sure how real-world that was given it was inside a metal box in the sun for 3 days but there you go.
Old 15 August 2016, 18:33
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post

Yeti is made in China, so are these.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're made in the same factory, and the only difference is that at the end they slap an Ozark logo on there instead of a Yeti.
Old 15 August 2016, 23:29
Been There Done That

cant get the picture to load.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 17 May 2017, 15:27
Confirmed User

The Ozark Trail ones are back in my local store and found them online with free ship to store. 70 L is still $195. Claims to hold ice for 9+ days.
Old 17 May 2017, 15:44
Been There Done That

I've been runni g one of the Ozark trail ones for almost a year now. I can load it up with the same amount of bottled water and ice as the comparable Yeti and they are the same. I smile bigger as mine only cost $100 to the Yeti's $350.

I'm a fan of buying quality gear, but the same is the same. This isn't a "my spikes tactical AR is the same as a Noveske" BS comparison. Yeti, Rtic, Ozark Trail are all the same. I can afford to put better beer in it though.
Old 17 May 2017, 21:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34RX View Post
The Ozark Trail ones are back in my local store and found them online with free ship to store. 70 L is still $195. Claims to hold ice for 9+ days.
I just bought one. Free shipping, haven't had a chance to take it out yet. Big reason I like/want one or more of these coolers is because they are bear proof. Otherwise I'd probably just get more Coleman Extremes.
Old 17 May 2017, 21:37
Been There Done That

Cabelas has one of their own now, too. I bought one last year and it's great. Priced around the same as the Walmart brand. It's too freaking big, though. When it's full of beer and ice I can lift it but I damn sure can't carry it very far.
Old 18 May 2017, 03:04
Confirmed User

The Cabela's looks like it has a better warranty than Ozark's 5 year limited. I've definitely noticed a difference in weight compared to my less expensive coolers. Something to be mindful of when rigging our rafts. Thanks to KidA for bringing this up.
Old 18 May 2017, 15:29
Nurse Ratched

I have not done a long term ice test on the 73qt Ozark trail cooler yet in summer temps. However last November in 50F ish weather I put a bag of ice on the bottom 2 entire quartered bucks and a second bag of ice. I usually change the water every 24 hours for 7 days to drain the blood to reduce the gamey taste. 24 hours later the ice on top welded itself on top with the back straps and I had to break it apart to keep them from freezing solid. Over 7 days the meat floated in ice water with me only adding ice 1 time before final processing.

I bought my dad and myself the 26qt for Christmas and his only complaint is the 16lb weight. We both keep them in our truck all week so will see how well it does this summer.

In April I took a mix of frozen shrimp and fresh seafood in the 26qt on a 16 hour drive in the trunk of a black car from Florida to Kentucky with only 3 small ice packs. When I got home the shrimp were still frozen.

Walmart is now doing free shipping on them.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 18 May 2017, 16:36
Old Scroll

Picked up one of the big Ozark Mtn coolers a few weeks ago from a friend, and must say that I'm pretty impressed.

The "feet" are held in place with a 1/4" bolt that can back out, potentially loosing your plastic corner foot, if you don't keep watch and perform periodic 10/20 PMCS on your gear, to include keeping bolts torqued to specs

The ice maintaining capacity is superior.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 20 May 2017, 15:58
Confirmed User

For my money, Canyon Coolers beats the bigger name brands. Lifetime warranty is what sealed the deal for me, but the price was better than Yeti too. It's also a smaller outfit based in Flagstaff, which I always prefer to deal with vs. a big company.
Old 20 May 2017, 16:12
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
... Not to mention we're all trying to jam out to Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin and these cunts decide to start playing Katy Perry and other gay pop songs.
Sorry, brah.. hate to call you on this, but your music decisions are much worse than any decisions you will ever make, on a cooler. Faux Metal.. c'mon, dude..
ETA: Big fan of Coleman, btw, cheap and never felt the need to see how long my ice would last.

Last edited by Gumby2/6; 20 May 2017 at 16:17. Reason: thread relevance.
Old 20 May 2017, 18:04
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Sorry, brah.. hate to call you on this, but your music decisions are much worse than any decisions you will ever make, on a cooler. .
Pretty much. Three Days Grace? DAFQ?
Old 21 June 2017, 22:26
killjoy

3 days camping in near 100 degrees. Only 2 bags of ice(small 7# ones). 52 quart Ozark one held up just fine to the abuse I put on them because I keep warm beers in the car and as I pull out a cold one I replace it with a hot one. Still had ice on day 3 even after doing this and not trying to keep the cooler out of the sun.

$150 well spent. It's not about the ice for me, it's about the precious time with my family while out in the bush. The money is worth it because it prevents the needed half day trip to refill ice in the middle of our vacation.
Old 21 June 2017, 22:40
Six Minutes!

Say what you want about GAY weekend warriors using these overpriced coolers as a status symbol, but staying remote, off grid in my cabin, or doing a 3 week float down a river in Alaska, I prefer cold meat (and beer).

Just because a 12 hour float down a sewer in the Texas sun doesn't require expensive gear, doesn't mean that the rest of us should be "cooler shamed" for actually needing good shit. (and yes, it's still overpriced and made in China).

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 7 July 2017, 09:29
Been There Done That

Got the OT version of the 20oz Rambler and they work great especially for $8 a piece compared to $25 for the Yeti. Also just picked up the 64oz bottle at $15 compared to $70 for the Yeti. Left it in the car for over 36hrs, outside air temp was in the 90's during the day so inside the car was probably well over 100, and still had ice in it when I opened it the next evening.

Sorry Dark Helmet but got to disagree with you, these products are just as good quality as the Yeti but at a quarter the price.

Oh and the whole Yeti made in the USA, this is taken directly from their website as of five minutes ago.

Quote:
"Our Tundra coolers are manufactured in the USA at facilities located in Iowa and Wisconsin as well as at a facility located in the Philippines. Our Hopper coolers and Rambler drinkware are manufactured in China."
What they dont tell you is the percentage of coolers made in the Philippines compared to the US and I would bet over 50% are made outside the US. And its 100% made outside the US for all of their other products.

Candygram for Mongo!
Old 7 July 2017, 10:02
Confirmed User

I bought one of the RTIC 30 oz. tumblers on sale from Amazon for $10 a while back and it has been damn great. Holds ice and keeps my drink cold for a 10 hour shift easily.

Other people at work love their Yeti tumblers; I couldn't justify the price difference.
Old 2 November 2017, 09:17
Midgetologist

My OT cooler came in handy during recent 4 day power outage. I have the smallest one they make and considering going up a size. Wasn't quite able to save some stuff.

Our new posting rules