Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > Recon Marines

Old 12 May 2017, 11:14
Been There Done That

Marines in SOF

Gentlemen,
A good friend of mine, Lt. Col. Jim Diehl (ret.) is putting together a list of Marines who served in SOF billets external to the Marine Corps. Examples would be those detailed to State/CT, CIA and those assigned to JSOC and ISA. This has the support of MGen. Munday and the information will go to the MARSOC historian.

For what it's worth, I support this effort. For years I heard "Marines don't do special operations!" This is a long overdue effort to document the contributions that many of you made in that area.

Some of you served in these billets and/or know those who did. I would ask you to contact Lt. Col. Diehl and identify the billet you were in, dates and who you relieved and who relieved you. If you prefer not to do this, no harm, no foul.

For those who do, please be patient. Although retired from the corps, Jim has a full time job and other obligations. This is truly a "labor of love." His email is: ajamesdiehl@aol.com.[/QUOTE]
Old 12 May 2017, 13:44
Administrator

How much does he want to expand the list? You have SOCOM, ASD SOLIC, WARCOM (as you know - ha ha)and J3-SOD (now DDSO) at the Pentagon.
Old 12 May 2017, 14:05
Been There Done That

Frog, as I understand it, he would like the name(s) of any Marine who served in a SOF billet external to the corps.
Old 12 May 2017, 20:18
Administrator

So I'm guessing here he is looking for a Marine was substituted for a 18X Army or 5326/1130 Navy billet? I think he needs to better define what he is looking for. Marines started serving in Joint SOF related commands after Goldwater/Nichols. The DCDR now at SOCOM is LtGen Osterman plus there was Laster, Waldhouser, Hejlic, Flynn, Yoo and more. Then there is MARSOC - all Marines there are in SOF Billets including MajGen Mundy. Is there a historical cutoff date? This could be quite an endeavor.
Old 13 May 2017, 08:41
Administrator

Part of the issue is that most of the enlisted are/were in SMU's and may not want their names shared.
Old 13 May 2017, 10:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Part of the issue is that most of the enlisted are/were in SMU's and may not want their names shared.
Indeed. The only one I know who was publicized was Major Zembiec following his death and detailing who he worked for. The Marine who was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions in Benghazi is still on active duty as are a few others who fall under MCATSU that definitely don't want to be named publicly. All this info should be readily available to MajGen Mundy.
Old 13 May 2017, 13:40
Confirmed User

Playing the devils advocate here, I see info being gathered and a book on the horizon. Each Marine that has served in that capacity (I was not one of them) has to make that choice. This sounds a lot like what happened to the Sniper community with the "Death From a far" books. Names, Info, Pictures, Platoon patches and T-shirt designs and stories were requested to put together for a history of Sniping compilation of sorts. The author made a killing and the Scout Snipers who shared their personal stuff (I did not participate) got "0" except the circumstances of being exploited in my humble opinion. The quality of the books not withstanding.

Not having been in a SOF billet or Recon but fully understanding the virtue of being a "Quiet Professional" it should be and still is a motto to many that have and still serve. I would think if this was a project at the highest levels for the Marine Corps in a historical capacity all of that information would be available through inservice record searches and if not it probably shouldn't be written down or compelled into some list. Just my two cents but obviously everyone in that category has to make their own choice about it.
Old 14 May 2017, 12:32
Been There Done That

Frog, answered by PM.
SB, you're correct but this is voluntary. If someone doesn't want to have his name in the mix, no pressure to do so.

As far as this information being readily available, actually it isn't. There's no database regarding Marines who served in SOF billets external to the corps. The fact that Gen. Munday supports this doesn't mean it is a priority to him or MARSOC. In many cases, when a Marine is in an external billet, his records are held by a headquarters unit somewhere else. In my case they were held, at various times, by HQ Bn, HQMC, HQ Bn, CLJ, and finally LFTCPAC.

Finally, at MARSOC request, I made a tape for their historical section. It was classified. I also posted my SOF assignments on my profile. Does that mean I'm not a "quiet professional?"

Frog/SB, you can close this thread. Thanks.
Old 14 May 2017, 13:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOC Marine 82 View Post
I also posted my SOF assignments on my profile. Does that mean I'm not a "quiet professional?

My Apologies, my comment was not an accusation and if it was taken that way My deepest apologies to you sir.

My intent was to highlight the possibilities of that kind of information being used in capacities beyond the control of the individuals providing it as it has happened before. We all know the amount of exploitation that is possible given todays climate of book deals and movies with Special Operations story lines in them. If the information is being gathered in an official context for the Services themselves is one thing but if it is being done on a private level, I would have many questions before providing it.

I was trying to highlight issues that arose from the same kind of information compilations in the past. I have no right to judge anyone and was not trying too but I felt I should express what has happened in the past because the situation seemed similar to current ongoings. Back to my lane now.
Old 14 May 2017, 19:05
Been There Done That

No harm, no foul. Your intention was good and you were right to bring this up. I should have mentioned that I've known this man for 30+ years and respect his character and integrity. No offense on this end.
Old 18 May 2017, 20:39
Administrator

Hey everyone, I talked to Lt Col Jim Diehl today at SOFIC. The scope of his search is only from MAC SOG V up to, not including, Det ONE. He knows Bob Coates and is talking to Maj Gen Munday. This is a not for profit project only for historical purposes. He has already reached out to many, some just hung up on him, and he completely understands why. He told me, "hey if you want to respond, please do, if not that's okay".

Our new posting rules