SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27 May 2019, 19:07
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,244
Warrior Healers

The story of the birth of the Special Forces Medic.

Really good read about the formalization of medic training for SF in the 1950s. And about the early Laos missions as well, that created many lessons learned incorporated into SF medic training.

Interesting to read how Col. Banks insisted on each team having a medic and had to fight to get it. Something he swore to do, since he dealt with the absence of medic from his OSS days.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/05954...b_b_asin_title
__________________
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27 May 2019, 19:33
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Intermediate Area
Posts: 7,773
Best job in SF.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28 May 2019, 18:57
Guy's Avatar
Guy Guy is offline
"We're all bad in someone's story...."
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: CONUS @ the moment
Posts: 13,392
Lightbulb Commo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Best job in SF.
You can't call in or do shit until my comms is operational.
__________________
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
2019 Trump wins < YOU ARE HERE
2020 Trump wins & Democrats go wild!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28 May 2019, 19:14
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Intermediate Area
Posts: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You can't call in or do shit until my comms is operational.
Commo dweebs...you can talk about us but you can't talk without us...the one category that commo guys are unbeatable at is Star Trek trivia...
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28 May 2019, 19:28
Dangerous's Avatar
Dangerous Dangerous is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Best job in SF.
Nope. The best job in SF is being the Team Sergeant or Team Leader of a very squared away ODA. All forward leaning type A personalities striving for the same goal.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28 May 2019, 19:56
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Intermediate Area
Posts: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Nope. The best job in SF is being the Team Sergeant or Team Leader of a very squared away ODA. All forward leaning type A personalities striving for the same goal.
That's what I spent 16 years in SF waiting for and hearing about...and...when I became a Team Sergeant...it was the worst job I ever had in the Army, period. I wasn't the only Team Sergeant that thought so...all of us in the company agreed on that...

Times change.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28 May 2019, 20:20
Dangerous's Avatar
Dangerous Dangerous is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,594
^^^ I can believe it. The subordinates as well as the Co and Bn leadership have a great hand in it. Luckily I had very good teams (2) and very supportive Company SGM and Cdr. the Bn CSM and Cdr. stayed out of the way and let the ODBs and ODAs be.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28 May 2019, 20:39
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,244
All MOSs, including the CPT and WO, are ultimately there to support the 18Cs.

Blowing shit up, or teaching LBGs how to blow shit up, is what SF is all about.
__________________
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28 May 2019, 20:59
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Intermediate Area
Posts: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
^^^ I can believe it. The subordinates as well as the Co and Bn leadership have a great hand in it. Luckily I had very good teams (2) and very supportive Company SGM and Cdr. the Bn CSM and Cdr. stayed out of the way and let the ODBs and ODAs be.
During my Team Sergeant time, I did not have the benefit of a supportive Co SGM or Co Cdr...nor did I have a Bn CSM who had a spine, and...both of the Bn Cdrs during my Tm Sgt time were malignant narcissists that lived by the ethos "The Mission Is Me, and The Men are My Supporting Effort."

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
All MOSs, including the CPT and WO, are ultimately there to support the 18Cs.
Times have changed there, too, Big Sarge. 18Cs are overworked supply guys now. When every ODA has about 20 MILVANs worth of expensive shit, much of which doesn't fall into the 18B or 18E realm, the 18C has to keep track of it...endless layouts and inventories.
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28 May 2019, 21:04
Dangerous's Avatar
Dangerous Dangerous is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,594
gavin, sorry to hear that.

But I am glad we are retired now.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28 May 2019, 21:44
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Intermediate Area
Posts: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
But I am glad we are retired now.
Yep...I am just fine being retired!
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29 May 2019, 09:34
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,222
<---not at 18D, but been around enough to very much appreciate their skillset and what they offer. I have a former 18X, just finished the Q as a Delta, reached out through another channel, he's at Bragg chilling until MFF next month. He asked to come up to where I work to shadow and hang with our people so as to keep his head in the game.

He is smart, confident but not arrogant or cocky, knows what he doesn't know. If he is representative of your community, y'all are set.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29 May 2019, 09:58
Guy's Avatar
Guy Guy is offline
"We're all bad in someone's story...."
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: CONUS @ the moment
Posts: 13,392
Well said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
<---not at 18D, but been around enough to very much appreciate their skillset and what they offer. I have a former 18X, just finished the Q as a Delta, reached out through another channel, he's at Bragg chilling until MFF next month. He asked to come up to where I work to shadow and hang with our people so as to keep his head in the game.

He is smart, confident but not arrogant or cocky, knows what he doesn't know. If he is representative of your community, y'all are set.
If I get into that program you pointed me to. I'm coming too shadow you to the point, you'll have to beat me off with a stick!
__________________
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
2019 Trump wins < YOU ARE HERE
2020 Trump wins & Democrats go wild!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29 May 2019, 10:00
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If I get into that program you pointed me to. I'm coming too shadow you to the point, you'll have to beat me off with a stick!
You are welcome anytime!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 20:23.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018