SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 28 August 2019, 11:27
Aww F**K it

Laptop recomendations

I am needing recommendations for a laptop for college. I decided to go and finish my degree and I need a new laptop. I know nothing about computers except how to get on SOCNET. I do not game or whatever. The ability to stream/watch movies would be cool though. I am not trying to spend too much money but willing to drop a bit of change on something I can use for the next three years or so. And something durable if that's an option, I tend to be hard on equipment.

Thanks guys.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 28 August 2019, 12:21
Confirmed User

You can't really go wrong with Mac-books Pro or Air. They are a bit pricey but I had my first one for 7 years and bought my second 2 years ago. They are pretty bullet proof. Good luck!
Old 28 August 2019, 12:58
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keganswar View Post
You can't really go wrong with Mac-books Pro or Air. They are a bit pricey but I had my first one for 7 years and bought my second 2 years ago. They are pretty bullet proof. Good luck!
Thanks! I was just looking at the Mac-book air.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 28 August 2019, 14:31
Aww F**K it

Quote:
You can't really go wrong with Mac-books Pro or Air. They are a bit pricey but I had my first one for 7 years and bought my second 2 years ago. They are pretty bulletproof. Good luck!
I just picked up a Mac-Book Air on this recommendation and from a couple of friends. I pick it up in about an hour. Thanks!

Old 28 August 2019, 16:11
Confirmed User

You can't go wrong with a MacBook.

My family's first MacBook Pro was my daughters that I just inherited after 7 years. It worked fine until it killed after spilling a glass of water on it.

I am currently using my wife's MacBook pro which is 7 years old.

They cost more but they run forever and system updates are usually good....and free.

You can also use Office on them if needed.

I am scoping out an Air for myself in the next few weeks.
Old 28 August 2019, 16:17
Confirmed User

I have a MacBook Pro (second one) and still love it but most everything operationally is Microsoft in college or at least it is at my school.

That includes all of the computer skills required classes, so there might be some overlap conflict with what you learn on in class and what you are personally using.

It might be an issue for you but I would check the schools systems and see what might be more compatible with what you use in class and what you have at home aside from the MS programs you can download onto a Mac for compatibility of documents. Just something to consider.
Old 28 August 2019, 16:34
Sub Rosa

Quote:
I second the MacBook Pro. In August 2014, I bought one when I went to law school at 50. I'm writing this post on that machine. It went thru school and bar exam study with HEAVY use and zero issues. The price tag is worth the reliability.
Old 28 August 2019, 16:54
Been There Done That

Mac's "Works" suite is analogous to and completely compatible with Office products. you can open an Office product in the Apple version, work on it, then save it as a Mac file, and an Office file. you don't need "Office for macs". Office 365 works well on macs too, if you get access for 365 through school. you simply don't need to buy Office for a mac.

additionally, you can create a hard drive partition and install a MS OS, and MS products on that partition (you'll have to buy/source those). I had to do this while I was still in because some gov/mil systems weren't apple compatible at all, and I couldn't do "remote" work on Army products on my mac otherwise. Garmin products were an issue too, back when.

as a civilian, all vendor products have been apple compatible since I retired that I've tried to use.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 28 August 2019, 22:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
Mac's "Works" suite is analogous to and completely compatible with Office products. you can open an Office product in the Apple version, work on it, then save it as a Mac file, and an Office file. you don't need "Office for macs". Office 365 works well on macs too, if you get access for 365 through school. you simply don't need to buy Office for a mac.

additionally, you can create a hard drive partition and install a MS OS, and MS products on that partition (you'll have to buy/source those). I had to do this while I was still in because some gov/mil systems weren't apple compatible at all, and I couldn't do "remote" work on Army products on my mac otherwise. Garmin products were an issue too, back when.

as a civilian, all vendor products have been apple compatible since I retired that I've tried to use.

Great info to know, thanks! I have office 365 for the email service from the school on my Mac, I didn't know it synced a lot more.
Old 28 August 2019, 23:13
Been There Done That

the only incompatability I've seen is not having all the same fonts, so Apple may change an Office font to an Apple one.

I haven't run or tried to populate outlook's calendar into Apple's calendar. I plug all my email addresses into Apple's mail server and have never had an issue, excluding a .mil address. back then, I just did that on my partition.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 28 August 2019, 23:21
Legal Immigrant

Having been through 5 or so non-Apple laptops, I realised that NONE of them lasted more than 2 years, and ssssllllloooowed down anytime I had multiple programs open, such as email, IE, excel and word.

Have had my MacBook Pro for about 18 months now, and am still amazed at the speed of it with the same number of applications/programs open. Wished I bought one years ago.

More cost up-front, but less in the long-term.
Old 29 August 2019, 05:57
Nexus Schemer

MacBooks typically also come with enough memory and hardr drive space you can put VMware fusion on it for 99 and install a windows vm fairly quickly. You don’t have to be a super geek yo get it running. The vm can be paused and closed when not needed.

I use that as a sand box for testing. The office products for macs is a good option as well. I think I have a personal 365 account for 99 a year that let’s me install on 5 devices (tablets As well)
Old 29 August 2019, 06:57
Been There Done That

Quote:

Same here. Been Mac user since 1984. IMO, they're the best 'package' out there of hardware and software.
Old 29 August 2019, 17:35
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post

I have 365 access through school so that's cool. This thing is pretty cool so far.

Old 29 August 2019, 18:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
I just picked up a Mac-Book Air on this recommendation and from a couple of friends. I pick it up in about an hour. Thanks!
Nice! Enjoy! They really are a great value.
Old 29 August 2019, 18:19
Confirmed User

nvm
Old 29 August 2019, 20:01
Hard to Kill

Dell XPS 13. I just bought another one after 5 years, I wore the keyboard out.
Old 29 August 2019, 21:34
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Dell XPS 13. I just bought another one after 5 years, I wore the keyboard out.
I have one too, I like it.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 29 August 2019, 22:00
Confirmed User

I switched from a laptop pc to a Chromebook. Best decision ever.
Old 30 August 2019, 04:50
Confirmed User

I have a Sager NP5160, bought March 2011. Couple minor things broke due to me. Keep cooling area clean and get rid of bloatware.. Still working pretty well.

Our new posting rules