SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 9 September 2019, 16:34
Confirmed User

Snowden on Netflix

I searched for it, but didnt see it in SOCNET.
It was okay. Put a few things into perspective of what NSA and our government did/does..
I felt they tried to make him out to be a good guy, even though what he did was pretty bad in my eyes. And he made most of the spyware...
Exposing to the world what we did was screwed up..
It has some good acting, and even Nicolas Cage..
Old 23 October 2019, 21:24
Life is simple, not easy.

Joe Rogan had Snowden on his podcast via remote location - Joe in his studio and Snowden in some room somewhere. I only watched for an hour because I had to leave my office and actually do some work, but some of the stuff he said about programs he discovered pissed me off. Not at him but at our government.
Old 24 October 2019, 11:46
Been There Done That

Anyone who is still convinced that Snowden is a problem in all of this is missing the forest for all the trees.
Old 24 October 2019, 16:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Anyone who is still convinced that Snowden is a problem in all of this is missing the forest for all the trees.
Glad I am not the only one here who believes the same.
Old 24 October 2019, 17:48
Authorized Personnel

I kept going back and forth, and there's still folks in old communities that I argue with, but overall, the scope of his actions highlighted some serious bullshit. Map everything he disclosed with our current political landscape and you can see some pretty easily-abusable paths. Not much more to say there.

I'm not convinced he was ever an asset. Going to Russia, however bad the optics, was likely his best play in the entire game. They won't ever give him up to US authorities.

What he did was illegal, but not immoral. Nothing in his dump revealed HUMINT or sources, only capabilities.
Old 24 October 2019, 18:38
Involuntary Yoga Guy

I was not prepared to view the guy in a favorable light, but he was well measured, thoughtful, and not making unrealistic statements at all. A nre respect for the guy and what he did.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 24 October 2019, 18:50
BTDT

When I go to Russia, his Wodka is on me.

Too Funny, Has To Be My Sig For A While...

"FACT: School aged children are more likely to die from the influenza than from the COVID-19... but teachers unions are demanding schools stay shut until we de-fund the police"
Old 24 October 2019, 18:52
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
What he did was illegal, but not immoral.
Hiding Anne Frank was illegal too.

P.S. - I know you get it, just using you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itsillegal.jpg (32.8 KB, 133 views)

Too Funny, Has To Be My Sig For A While...

"FACT: School aged children are more likely to die from the influenza than from the COVID-19... but teachers unions are demanding schools stay shut until we de-fund the police"
Old 31 October 2019, 13:37
Doc McNasty

I saw the movie and the Rogan show. I'm still mixed. Keep in mind that he's had a LOT of time to polish that message and his delivery. And you know damn well there's a Snowdenski watching every keystroke and call he makes, and has been for 6yrs.

Some of the comments on the podcast were pretty good:
Rogan: "There's no such thing as off topic here"
Snowden: "Hold my beer"
Old 31 October 2019, 17:07
giving you a number

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
I kept going back and forth, and there's still folks in old communities that I argue with, but overall, the scope of his actions highlighted some serious bullshit. Map everything he disclosed with our current political landscape and you can see some pretty easily-abusable paths. Not much more to say there.

I'm not convinced he was ever an asset. Going to Russia, however bad the optics, was likely his best play in the entire game. They won't ever give him up to US authorities.

What he did was illegal, but not immoral. Nothing in his dump revealed HUMINT or sources, only capabilities.
I think he may have been misdirected but, like you, I'm not convinced he was/is a recruited asset. He seems too pro-American in the interview. Let's face it, there's no advantage to waving the flag at this point. No one's going to give him a TS/SCI sysadmin job ever again.

I watched the Rogan interview and am just getting into reading the book. He seems like a real believer in his cause and at a certain level I agree with his position. When I was active there was one sacrosanct rule - you did not collect against US citizens. You could use them as assets but our operations were foreign intelligence. Anything domestic was either CI or a criminal investigation. Pointing US collection capabilities inward was/is a bad idea.

He would have ended up in jail if he didn't flee the US but there were others who walked his path, stayed in the US, and took the heat. If he had stayed, he would have been in some deep shit but the optics of asylum in Russia give his opposers good talking points.

With him living in Russia now he's out of sight, out of mind. His location adds enough confusion that any chance of a pardon is off the table. If he wants to live in America any time before his 80th birthday he's going to need to swallow hard and face the shitstorm. Either that or accept the fact that he will live the rest of his life in exile.

Our new posting rules