SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 3 August 2016, 11:01
Did...did I do that?

I think if you're eligible for VA care, you get the CPAP. I'm 30%, and I got mine.
Old 3 August 2016, 11:26
I aim to misbehave

It's fucking insane that I can't get a sleep study and CPAP from the VA without getting disability. I rate disability, sure, but I'm not asking for their damned money. Use it to take care of people who need it. I just want to wake up feeling like I slept.

While true:
Continue
Old 3 August 2016, 15:01
Grinder Monkey

I received the sleep study and CPAP through the VA, no one even mentioned disability, I've never applied or received a dime.
Old 3 August 2016, 21:52
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
I received the sleep study and CPAP through the VA, no one even mentioned disability, I've never applied or received a dime.
I am glad you chimed in for BOFH.

I hope he follows your lead. Life changing for me and those l know personally, that had a study and were diagnosted...

S
Old 3 August 2016, 22:12
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
Oh...well, I stand corrected. That's what the local VA rep told me. How does one go about scheduling this without applying for disability?

While true:
Continue
Old 30 August 2016, 22:24
The atomic zit

BOFH's question stands...

Me, my nose thing is sucking wind and I am looking into another and making sure insurance pays. My brother did the full upgrade thing and paid out the ass to replace parts that did not need replacing..
Old 30 August 2016, 22:40
Confirmed User

I just got a cpap a week ago. Insurance pays only after the huge deductible. So I'm paying $70 per month rental for now.
My blood oxygen was going down to .85 and I was not breathing 11 times per hour.
I delayed for 18 months. I'm glad I got it and I'm feeling much better all day.
Old 31 August 2016, 00:51
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Oh...well, I stand corrected. That's what the local VA rep told me. How does one go about scheduling this without applying for disability?
I just told my primary care doc at the VA I was stopping breathing at night/waking myself up with a snort, (my wife verified I would stop breathing so she shook me sometimes) he said he would schedule a sleep study. A week later they called me to come in. First visit to answer a few questions, they sent me home with a monitor to wear and mail back. About a week later I got a call to come in for a CPAP and a class on its use, went home with it the same day. They did indicate during the class not all doctors/clinics were so quick to issue the CPAP without tons of paperwork, guess it depends on your location. They did advise not to tell your employer unless required.

Last edited by BadKarma; 31 August 2016 at 01:03.
Old 31 August 2016, 09:40
Been There Done That

Saw this thread a month or so ago and didn't realize so many people had issues with this. My wife has been begging me to get checked for years so between that and reading this I finally scheduled one this month; initial consult is the 8th and the overnight study is the 21st.

I just cant see sleeping with a Darth Vader mask on

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 31 August 2016, 09:43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
I just cant see sleeping with a Darth Vader mask on
Takes some getting used to but the difference in how you feel when you wake up in the morning will have you loving that mask.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 31 August 2016, 09:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Takes some getting used to but the difference in how you feel when you wake up in the morning will have you loving that mask.
IDK i'm skeptical I roll over a lot, which could be a side effect from the apnea, so I can see pulling it off and breaking it but I'm going to give it a shot. I get between 6 and 8 hrs of sleep a night and still wake up tired and sometimes with light headaches and a sore throat. Woke up a couple times the other night by snorting and breathing like I had been holding my breath.

One nut in the ground!

Old 31 August 2016, 10:45
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
IDK i'm skeptical I roll over a lot, which could be a side effect from the apnea,
Ask for the nasal pillow mask. It's not nearly as large, and I can sleep on my side with it.
Old 31 August 2016, 10:55
Administrator

Quote:
IDK i'm skeptical I roll over a lot, which could be a side effect from the apnea, so I can see pulling it off and breaking it but I'm going to give it a shot. I get between 6 and 8 hrs of sleep a night and still wake up tired and sometimes with light headaches and a sore throat. Woke up a couple times the other night by snorting and breathing like I had been holding my breath.
You will go through several masks before you find the one that is right for you, just like everyone else. The one that I finally found that I can live with is called the Nano. Fits over your nose only, and is very small. My Mom uses a CPAP as well and she uses something that has the nasal pillows mentioned above. It is essentially an athletic mouthpiece with two small hoses that split off from the main hose and they fit right into each nostril. She loves it. I couldn't stand it. Not a mask so there is nothing strapped to your head. Your bite on the mouthpiece holds everything in place. So maybe that's an option for you as well.

One thing is for sure though, after the first time you wake up feeling like you actually slept and got some rest after not feeling that for years, you will use the CPAP and learn to at least have a love/hate relationship with it. I hate mine, but I like actually getting some rest much more.

On rolling over, my mask swivels so what I do is tuck the hose behind my pillow so that it runs over the top and around to my mask. If I roll over it just swivels to the other side. You have to play with it a bit but you will figure it out.

-ZZ Top
Old 31 August 2016, 11:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Your bite on the mouthpiece holds everything in place.

Wait...MOUTHPIECE also! Oh great now I'll look like Darth Vader getting ready to fight Zombie Danny Trejo

One nut in the ground!

Old 31 August 2016, 11:28
Administrator

Quote:
Wait...MOUTHPIECE also! Oh great now I'll look like Darth Vader getting ready to fight Zombie Danny Trejo
This is the one with the mouthpiece, although there is a different one also that blows air in through the mouthpiece itself, which wasn't for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPAP.jpg (18.6 KB, 84 views)

-ZZ Top
Old 31 August 2016, 11:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
This is the one with the mouthpiece, although there is a different one also that blows air in through the mouthpiece itself, which wasn't for me.
Ok I cant see sleeping with that, it just looks completely uncomfortable.

One nut in the ground!

Old 31 August 2016, 12:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Go to the local VA hospital and register with their eligibility office, depending on what priority group you are put in you may have a small co-pay

http://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/apply/index.asp

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/res...ity_groups.asp

Even if you are in a low priority group still make sure you get into the system, never know when shit happens and you may need it.
Old 31 August 2016, 16:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Ok I cant see sleeping with that, it just looks completely uncomfortable.
Me too. According to the spouse I need one. She has woke me up many times to see if I am breathing. I haven't done the sleep study. My O2 & HR drop significantly while sleeping.

You can do this study at home now? Correct?

Karl Childers
Old 31 August 2016, 16:19
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnrgr1sg View Post
..You can do this study at home now? Correct?
Yes.

As far as that thing on my face, I got used to it and take when I travel. It breaks down to about the size of a 3 inch thick tablet.
Old 31 August 2016, 17:16
Confirmed User

For you guys debating about the mask and sleeping with one, you get used to it.

The bigger thing is, don't put it off, get the sleep study done and if needed use the CPAP sleep apnea can mess it with your heart.

Since I started using mine I actually feel like I slept when I wake up in the morning even if for whatever reason I only get 4-5 hours, before the CPAP I'd wake up feeling groggy and foggy most of the time even if I slept 10 hours.

Our new posting rules