SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 1 December 2018, 13:23
Confirmed User

Killing the SS - O'Reilly

It was an OK book - I've probably learned as much watching Smithsonian or Discovery. The subject is pretty wide and deep so I felt like it could have gone into more detail but was limited by page count. It jumped around a lot instead of focusing on each person before moving on to the next.

Some great themes that could be expanded upon in future books, like SA countries ties/complicity to/with the SS, Weisanthal's efforts, US gov't involvement and decisions made, etc.

Not bad but after reading I felt like there are probably better books about the SS and post-war effors to hunt them down.
Old 1 December 2018, 22:39
All Star Benchwarmer

I don't put much stock in O'Reilly's books. He doesn't document where his information comes from. He only says something along the lines of their were numerous documents and historians agree. At the end of his books there is no bibliography or notes about his work. For a historian, that's just about as no-go as you can get.

On top of that, he seems to punch out a new book each year. That's a lot of books for the amount of "research" that must be done. I don't think he does much of the work himself, but relies upon ghost writers and researchers to do the real work for him.

But, that's just my two cents...
Old 1 December 2018, 22:41
All Star Benchwarmer

Oops...double tap.
Old 2 December 2018, 10:45
Freelancer

Enough quality books about the SS out there. I'll pass on this one. Always felt the Waffen SS were one of the toughest outfits in WW2.

Our new posting rules