SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 2 March 2019, 14:50
The Copenhagen Kid

All Things Garage Gym

If you could do it all over again, what would you have in your garage gym? Or if you've never had one but are considering/planning for one, What are your must haves? Any secrets or garage gym hacks are welcome as well.
Old 2 March 2019, 16:11
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Heating and A/C. Relying on window/floor units is a pain, and has kept my garage gym from being nearly as useful as I had hoped.

I put down rubberized mat flooring, which was a good investment.

I also had to run an extra electrical outlet to it on a different circuit, as my garage was originally on the same circuit as my kitchen, so heat/ac, treadmill, tv all running at the same time as microwave and coffee maker was an issue.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 2 March 2019, 16:15
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Oh, and make sure you have other dedicated workspace, so it doesn't become a gym/garage/workshop/storage space ... that definitely impairs it's utility as a gym.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 2 March 2019, 17:16
Custom User Title

Insulation.
Old 2 March 2019, 17:49
Confirmed User

I bought cheap horse stall mats for my rubber matting. Covered the entire gym for $200. And they’re much thicker than many of the purpose made gym mats I priced out.
Old 2 March 2019, 19:16
Legal Immigrant

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...ight=ideal+gym
Old 2 March 2019, 22:41
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
I bought cheap horse stall mats for my rubber matting. Covered the entire gym for $200. And they’re much thicker than many of the purpose made gym mats I priced out.
I was going to say the same thing. They work great and protect the concrete. ABout 2-5 bucks per square foot. I have a resistance machine, kinda like a bow flex, an elliptical, a treadmill and of course, kettle bells. A set of adjustable dumbbells is also helpful, but I personally didn't use them, so I gave them to the son in law.
Old 2 March 2019, 22:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Insulation.
As others have said. Mine is hot as hell in the summer and cold in the winter.....

I've got a good set up other wise. Enjoy it for sure.
Old 3 March 2019, 08:19
Been There Done That

I have no garage but a nice setup in my Florida room, that is comfy yet functional even in the worst of weather. I usually watch sports, turn up the volume, close the door and work out as much as i want. I was personal trainer for years ,and i don't have a lot of equipment. It is the knowledge of training and exercise programs that have helped me recover from some key injuries that has got me back on my feet in a short period of time.
I have a Nautilus elliptical that is commercial quality, and a Bowflex with maximum load on their power bands. Also used a professional grade sauna suit that looks more like a divers suit for extreme workouts. My I touch is loaded up with over a thousand tunes for motivation. ROCK ON !
Old 3 March 2019, 10:03
BTDT

I built a 900 sq ft gym inside a metal pole barn. I'll leave out the actual construction stuff and assume you at least have, or can - insulate a space yourself (I had the contractor do Closed Cell Sprayfoam on exterior walls, and Batting on the interior):

Mini-Split HVAC that also does heat (if in a "winter" area) - pretty cheap, although that's relative I guess ~$2K installed? You can buy online and install yourself, or pay a buddy/local to do it. Or a Window unit I guess = even cheaper. If it gets below ~10 degrees either one will suck at/take forever to heat - supplement with a small propane heater. I went with a DynaGlow, extension hose, and a 20lb propane tank.

Tractor Supply Co. (or similar) Stall Mats - yup. They are F'N HEAVY though! Have help.

You can build an 8'Wx 12'L Lifiting Platform for about $150 from Lowes/Home Depot. I used this guy's as a model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TzR_mPEo04

As far as equipment - before the Anti-2A crap, I got two, 600lb Olympic Barbell sets from Dick's for ~$200 ea (Edit: I tossed the bars in the corner and bought a nice CAP Barbell off Amazon). Now you're going to have to shop around (I hear Craig's List is a good option). Everything else I bought, was from:

https://www.titan.fitness/

Went down to Walmart and got the cheapest 50" LCD TV they had. I made sure I had internet access in there - using an old, unused laptop.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"

Last edited by Polypro; 3 March 2019 at 10:28.
Old 3 March 2019, 10:18
Another pool cleaner

Don't forget the lunk alarm.

I really want to talk to the idiot who thought of that.
Old 3 March 2019, 10:21
Hard to Kill

My gym is in the basement so its consistently at about 65 degrees. Ref the stall mats, the good ones weigh about 80 lbs a piece. I lined 8 horse stalls before I found these EX grip tools. Worth the money as they have no way to grip them. Its like dragging an 80 lb piece of flaccid plywood. There are other types, the one I have works like an ice tong.
Old 3 March 2019, 10:48
Confirmed User

I'm in the process of setting one up; should be done in a week or two.

I'm limited by space in the garage, so I'm shooting for an efficient setup without having an excess of equipment, sacrificing the utility of the garage, or have it looking like something from the hoarders TV show.

So far the plan is to have the "main gym" in the garage, and then some additional stuff in the backyard (climbing rope, rings, dip/pull up tower).

The list so far:

Squat rack/bench/pull up bar combo
Oly bar
45lb bumper plates and assortment of standard plates
Kettlebells
Plyobox
TRX
Rings
Paralettes
Jump Rope
Battlerope
Slam ball
Dip bars
Hangboard (climbing finger strength training)
Misc mobility stuff/bands/accessories

I ordered most of it from Titan; seems to be decent quality and their sitewide free shipping is pretty awesome.

The majority of the stuff should be compact enough to store in a large bin and a milk crate. The squat rack, plyobox, and hangboard take up their respective footprints along the walls. So most days half of the garage will be setup as the gym, while the other half has the workbench, toolboxes, compressor, and a jetski sitting in it. If I need more space, I'll push the jetski into the driveway.
Old 4 March 2019, 08:50
Confirmed User

This is a great thread. Not much else to add other than check Craigslist for used equipment; there is always someone trying to dump quality stuff for good prices. That, and I bought a lot of my weights, OLY bars and some other stuff from Play It Again Sports; I really don't care if my plates or dumbbells are dinged up or a little rusty. Things like TRXs and heavy bags are way cheaper even slightly used...

Not really anything insightful, but I also bought a large white board from Lowe's and mounted it on a wall and use dry erase markers to track workouts etc. I can fit a week's worth on there before wiping out and starting over.
Old 4 March 2019, 11:56
Fan ar an gcosán

Large Shed/Garage Gym

I started with a homemade pipe pull up bar across rafters, kettlebells (35# pair then 61# pair), 40lb weight vest, resistance bands, and heavy bag w/wraps and gloves. Over the past couple of years I built my own box for jumps, got free old school standard free weights with barbell, curl bar and dumbells. In good weather I break out equipment onto my grinder (basketball court slab), otherwise I suffer in hot and cold like others without insulation. I'm moving soon and next setup will be insulated for sure.

After some clean up and getting a weight stand:

Out on the grinder. Log is from Lake Erie I do atlas stone carries with:
Old 4 March 2019, 22:27
The Copenhagen Kid

Love it. Keep it going people!!!!
Old 7 March 2019, 08:41
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Don't forget the lunk alarm.

I really want to talk to the idiot who thought of that.
Hahahaha! Planet Fatness really contradicts themselves with the no judgement line of shit.

Should be called the No Gain zone.

I concur with others on insulation and heat/AC.
Old 7 March 2019, 09:25
Hard to Kill

Our water lines have been frozen to the barn, so my gym has been outside doing farmer carries with 5 gallon buckets of water.
Old 7 March 2019, 10:19
BTDT

In progress pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg start.jpg (173.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg concrete.jpg (28.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg foam2.jpg (33.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg platform.jpg (32.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg platform2.jpg (27.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg complete.jpg (42.4 KB, 144 views)
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 7 March 2019, 10:32
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
In progress pics:
Nice rack. What brand is that? Is the idea for the rubber sides and wood middle to provide flat area for feet and soft area for bumper plates?

Our new posting rules