SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 September 2019, 05:43
Drawing my cutlass

18 Years

Never forget. I’m headed to NYC today. I will pay my respects to the fallen at the memorial.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 11 September 2019, 06:14
been ***** **** that

I have not seen anything on the news yet this morning. This generation of school kids need to know what happened on this date. I was pouring a big basement and garage slab with Chip, Bones, Pinky, Jojo, and Todd that morning in Winter Park, Colorado. It was a grim morning as we six skated that slab four times.
Old 11 September 2019, 07:02
Confirmed User

Never forget.
Old 11 September 2019, 07:04
Been There Done That

Lest we forget.....
Old 11 September 2019, 07:09
Authorized Personnel

Still vivid.
Old 11 September 2019, 07:17
Problem Solver

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 11 September 2019, 08:17
Confirmed User

I can vividly remember. My Dad called, told me to turn the TV on. I thought it was a bad joke. He said No son, we are being attacked. So, I said, I need to go to work Dad.
Off to my boat, USS Tucson SSN 770. 4 days in lock down, awaiting for something to tell us to go do Gods work. We just got back from WestPac.
Surreal day..
Old 11 September 2019, 08:31
0311/8651

Second plane hit bldg. I ended up with a 12ga in my hand,downtown OKC, federal bldg.
Old 11 September 2019, 08:44
Drawing my cutlass

Moment of silence in 3 minutes at KFLL.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 11 September 2019, 09:06

RIP to all those we lost then and since.

Never forgive. Never forget. Never quit.
Old 11 September 2019, 09:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I have not seen anything on the news yet this morning. This generation of school kids need to know what happened on this date. I was pouring a big basement and garage slab with Chip, Bones, Pinky, Jojo, and Todd that morning in Winter Park, Colorado. It was a grim morning as we six skated that slab four times.
Fox Business covered it well. They had on Dick Grasso who was the head of NYSE during 9/11.

I was scheduled to work 10-6 that morning. I was at the gym running on the treadmill and saw something on the news but did not know what and wasn't;t paying attention to be honest. I took a quick shower and went to my Jeep to make my way to work, still unaware of what was going on.

I put on the Howard Stern show and heard what was happening. I switched around the news dial for any info but to be honest, the best coverage I heard of the attacks that morning was Stern.

Things I learned as the day went on: My wife's cousin, a bond trader and a really good guy, worked on the upper floors of the north tower. He took the morning off to take his daughter to her first day of school. He watched the carnage from the ferry dock in Hoboken as he tried to get to work.

My wife's good friend was a fight attendant who had been regularly working flight 11 as her husband was laid off. He landed a job in mid August that summer so she cut back her hours.

Both are still with us due to simple luck.

Never Forget.

Last edited by Macka; 11 September 2019 at 09:35.
Old 11 September 2019, 09:24
Confirmed User

Unforgettable and unforgivable.
Old 11 September 2019, 09:31
Confirmed User

Never forget
https://youtu.be/4Of1BaExX9A
Old 11 September 2019, 09:32
Administrator

109 minutes

http://web.archive.org/web/200401031...ls.asp?PRID=32

Excerpt:
Quote:
At 8:48 a.m. Mohammed Atta took a jet headlong into the north tower of the World Trade Center. Eighteen minutes later and accomplice did the same to the south tower.

When Jeremy Glick called his wife, his first question was an attempt to confirm something another passenger had heard on his spousal call: was the World Trade Center story true?

Lizzy Glick paused, thought for a minute, swallowed hard, and told him the truth. Yes, they had. Moments later, still on the line with her husband, Lizzy Glick saw that another plane had run into the Pentagon. She passed that information on as well to her husband, who relayed it to the other passengers.

Jeremy Glick then told her that the passengers were about to take a vote and decide if they should rush the hijackers and attempt to foul up whatever evil plans they had.

He put down the phone and a commotion was heard by those on the other end of the line. Then nothing. A dead line. An aborted missile launch against the town where I live.

That was 10:37 a.m. on Tuesday, September 11… just 109 minutes after Mohammed Atta rammed the first plane into the north tower of the World Trade Center.

Just 109 minutes after a new form of terrorism — the most deadly yet invented — came into use, it was rendered, if not obsolete, at least decidedly less effective.

Deconstructed, unengineered, thwarted, and put into the dust bin of history. By Americans. In 109 minutes.

And in retrospect, they did it in the most American of ways. They used a credit card to rent a fancy cell phone to get information just minutes old, courtesy of the ubiquitous 24-hour news phenomenon. Then they took a vote. When the vote called for sacrifice to protect country and others, there apparently wasn’t a shortage of volunteers. Their action was swift. It was decisive. And it was effective.

United Flight 93 did not hit a building. It did not kill anyone on the ground. It did not terrorize a city, despite the best drawn plans of the world’s most innovative madmen. Why? Because it had informed Americans on board who’d had 109 minutes to come up with a counteraction.

And the next time a hijacker full of hate pulls the same stunt with a single knife, he’ll get the same treatment and meet the same result as those on United Flight 93. Dead, yes. Murderous, yes. But successful? No.
Commentary from Glen Reynolds www.instapundit.com
Quote:
If George W. Bush had been a better, braver, man, he would have recognized that new reality instead of creating the TSA and the Department of Homeland Security. But both the Democrats and the establishment Republicans are heavily invested in making ordinary Americans feel powerless and helpless. And their worst nightmare is that it hasn’t really worked.
Old 11 September 2019, 10:35
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Never forget.

After all these years, I wonder what would have been a better deterrent to further terrorist attacks... The response we had, or if that part of the world was still glowing.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 11 September 2019, 11:00
Isiah 52:13-53:12

Never forget.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 11 September 2019, 11:21
Confirmed User

Never forget.
Old 11 September 2019, 11:43
Take care

It is sad that some have in fact forgotten. Such a terrible thing for such a terrible event that altered the lives and paths of so many. Untied we stand, there’s a sentiment that seems to be long forgotten.

Never forget!
Old 11 September 2019, 11:51
On the Extract Bird

Lest we ever forget the lives that were lost that day and since....
Old 11 September 2019, 11:56
Been There Done That

Never Forget!!!!!

logged into FOX and they had great coverage this morning. Went into the living room and turned on the today show as they came on and they had everything but 9-11 on their intro 2 min lead in. The top news for them was the resignation of the National security Advisor. Seven segments later they had a 30 sec mention of 9-11. They are so jacked up.

Guess that day was not in their interest to cover. I listened to the whole reading of the fallen as I always do and then went to work.

Our new posting rules