SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 September 2019, 12:05
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Never Forget!!!!!

logged into FOX and they had great coverage this morning. Went into the living room and turned on the today show as they came on and they had everything but 9-11 on their intro 2 min lead in. The top news for them was the resignation of the National security Advisor. Seven segments later they had a 30 sec mention of 9-11. They are so jacked up.

Guess that day was not in their interest to cover. I listened to the whole reading of the fallen as I always do and then went to work.
I watched Fox this morning and they played the footage of that day and it really disturbed me. I thought of that day and what has changed since. Never Forget and God Bless America!
Old 11 September 2019, 12:17
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Never forget. Never forgive. Make them pay.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 11 September 2019, 12:46
Confronting the Reckoning

Never forgotten. Passed on to the next generation. Always.
Old 11 September 2019, 13:54

Was home eating breakfast & watched it all unfold on the morning news. Called a buddy & after a few quick words we both new to just jump in our cars & head to work. I was still in Narco at the time so I went to our office & suited up. They bussed us down to lower Manhattan using city busses. The 1st tower came down before we got there so they mustered us up quite a few blocks away. Then the 2nd tower came down. I just remember being in awe at the size of the massive pile. And remember that burning smell that was there for months. It was a crazy few weeks after that down there.

Never forget, & thank you to all you guys who went overseas and answered the call.
Old 11 September 2019, 14:04
What could possibly go wrong?

I’ll never forget the rage I felt that morning.....I will never forget and I will never forgive
Old 11 September 2019, 14:41
Authorized Personnel

Looks like Wikipedia chose to forget. On their front page, in the "On This Day" column, not a mention of 9/11.
Old 11 September 2019, 18:07
Confirmed User

Transcript of Passenger on Flight 93 Tom Burnett's Last Calls to Deena Burnett:

6:27 a.m.( pacific time) First cell phone call from Tom to Deena

Deena: Hello
Tom: Deena
Deena: Tom, are you O.K.?
Tom: No, I’m not. I’m on an airplane that has been hijacked.
Deena: Hijacked?
Tom: Yes, They just knifed a guy.
Deena: A passenger?
Tom: Yes.
Deena: Where are you? Are you in the air?
Tom: Yes, yes, just listen. Our airplane has been hijacked. It’s United Flight 93 from Newark to San Francisco. We are in the air. The hijackers have already knifed a guy, one of them has a gun, they are telling us there is a bomb on board, please call the authorities. He hung up.

6:31 Deena calls 911
6:34 The phone rang in on call waiting, Tom’s second cell phone call.

Tom: They’re in the cockpit. The guy they knifed is dead.
Deena: He’s dead?
Tom: Yes. I tried to help him, but I couldn’t get a pulse.
Deena: Tom, they are hijacking planes all up and down the east coast. They are taking them and hitting designated targets. They’ve already hit both towers of the World Trade Center.
Tom: They’re talking about crashing this plane. (a pause) Oh my God. It’s a suicide mission…(he then tells people sitting around him)
Deena: Who are you talking to?
Tom: My seatmate. Do you know which airline is involved?
Deena: No, they don’t know if they’re commercial airlines or not. The newsreporters are speculating cargo planes, private planes and commercial. No one knows.
Tom: How many planes are there?
Deena: They’re not sure, at least three. Maybe more.
Tom: O.K….O.K….Do you know who is involved?
Deena: No.
Tom: We’re turning back toward New York. We’re going back to the World Trade Center. No, wait, we’re turning back the other way. We’re going south.
Deena: What do you see?
Tom: Just a minute, I’m looking. I don’t see anything, we’re over a rural area. It’s just fields. I’ve gotta go.

6:45 a.m. Third cell phone call from Tom to Deena

Deena: Tom, you’re O.K. (I thought at this point he had just survived the Pentagon plane crash).
Tom: No, I’m not.
Deena: They just hit the Pentagon.
Tom: (tells people sitting around him “They just hit the Pentagon.”)
Tom: O.K….O.K. What else can you tell me?
Deena: They think five airplanes have been hijacked. One is still on the ground. They believe all of them are commercial planes. I haven’t heard them say which airline, but all of them have originated on the east coast.
Tom: Do you know who is involved?
Deena: No
Tom: What is the probability of their having a bomb on board? I don’t think they have one. I think they’re just telling us that for crowd control.
Deena: A plane can survive a bomb if it’s in the right place.
Tom: Did you call the authorities?
Deena: Yes, they didn’t know anything about your plane.
Tom: They’re talking about crashing this plane into the ground. We have to do something. I’m putting a plan together.
Deena: Who’s helping you?
Tom: Different people. Several people. There’s a group of us. Don’t worry. I’ll call you back.

6:54 a.m. Fourth cell phone call to Tom to Deena

Deena: Tom?
Tom: Hi. Anything new?
Tom: Where are the kids?
Deena: They’re fine. They’re sitting at the table having breakfast. They’re asking to talk to you.
Tom: Tell them I’ll talk to them later.
Deena: I called your parents. They know your plane has been hijacked.
Tom: Oh…you shouldn’t have worried them. How are they doing?
Deena: They’re O.K.. Mary and Martha are with them.
Tom: Good.

(a long quiet pause)

Tom: We’re waiting until we’re over a rural area. We’re going to take back the airplane.
Deena: No! Sit down, be still, be quiet, and don’t draw attention to yourself! (The exact words taught to me by Delta Airlines Flight Attendant Training).
Tom: Deena! If they’re going to crash this plane into the ground, we’re going to have do something!
Deena: What about the authorities?
Tom: We can’t wait for the authorities. I don’t know what they could do anyway.
It’s up to us. I think we can do it.
Deena: What do you want me to do?
Tom: Pray, Deena, just pray.

(after a long pause)

Deena: I love you.
Tom: Don’t worry, we’re going to do something...

That's American. You can tweet his daughter:

https://twitter.com/halleyburnett?s=17

I figure it might be nice to know he is NOT forgotten.
Old 11 September 2019, 21:33
Administrator

Seems like yesterday. I arrived at the Pentagon hours later and worked at the NMCC for 4 months straight. Why? One of my additional duties at JFCOM for 2 years at the time was to be in charge of Homeland Security. 2 weeks later, MG Casey (later COS Army) took that responsibility and I became an LNO between SECDEF, SEC Army and Buck Kernan. Just like no one forgets Pearl Harbor, I don't think anyone forgets 911.
Old 11 September 2019, 21:40
Confirmed User

Hard to believe it’s been that long and it certainly changed my life. The 9/11 Memorial Museum is a must see and worth the trip to NYC.
Old 11 September 2019, 22:10
Been There Done That

The anger and memories still burn as hot now as they did 18 years ago. Never forget the day, or the brothers we have lost smashing those vermin into dust. God bless all past and present who serve and answer the call. I love you guys!
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler

Last edited by Boyo72; 11 September 2019 at 22:12. Reason: Edit for content
Old 12 September 2019, 01:37
Confirmed User

RIP, wow 18 years.
Old 12 September 2019, 08:09
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Transcript of Passenger on Flight 93 Tom Burnett's Last Calls to Deena Burnett:

6:27 a.m.( pacific time) First cell phone call from Tom to Deena

Deena: Tom, are you O.K.?
Tom: No, I’m not. I’m on an airplane that has been hijacked.
Deena: Hijacked?
Tom: Yes, They just knifed a guy.
Deena: A passenger?
Tom: Yes.
Deena: Where are you? Are you in the air?
Tom: Yes, yes, just listen. Our airplane has been hijacked. It’s United Flight 93 from Newark to San Francisco. We are in the air. The hijackers have already knifed a guy, one of them has a gun, they are telling us there is a bomb on board, please call the authorities. He hung up.

6:31 Deena calls 911
6:34 The phone rang in on call waiting, Tom’s second cell phone call.

Tom: They’re in the cockpit. The guy they knifed is dead.
Deena: He’s dead?
Tom: Yes. I tried to help him, but I couldn’t get a pulse.
Deena: Tom, they are hijacking planes all up and down the east coast. They are taking them and hitting designated targets. They’ve already hit both towers of the World Trade Center.
Tom: They’re talking about crashing this plane. (a pause) Oh my God. It’s a suicide mission…(he then tells people sitting around him)
Deena: Who are you talking to?
Tom: My seatmate. Do you know which airline is involved?
Deena: No, they don’t know if they’re commercial airlines or not. The newsreporters are speculating cargo planes, private planes and commercial. No one knows.
Tom: How many planes are there?
Deena: They’re not sure, at least three. Maybe more.
Tom: O.K….O.K….Do you know who is involved?
Deena: No.
Tom: We’re turning back toward New York. We’re going back to the World Trade Center. No, wait, we’re turning back the other way. We’re going south.
Deena: What do you see?
Tom: Just a minute, I’m looking. I don’t see anything, we’re over a rural area. It’s just fields. I’ve gotta go.

6:45 a.m. Third cell phone call from Tom to Deena

Deena: Tom, you’re O.K. (I thought at this point he had just survived the Pentagon plane crash).
Tom: No, I’m not.
Deena: They just hit the Pentagon.
Tom: (tells people sitting around him “They just hit the Pentagon.”)
Tom: O.K….O.K. What else can you tell me?
Deena: They think five airplanes have been hijacked. One is still on the ground. They believe all of them are commercial planes. I haven’t heard them say which airline, but all of them have originated on the east coast.
Tom: Do you know who is involved?
Tom: What is the probability of their having a bomb on board? I don’t think they have one. I think they’re just telling us that for crowd control.
Deena: A plane can survive a bomb if it’s in the right place.
Tom: Did you call the authorities?
Deena: Yes, they didn’t know anything about your plane.
Tom: They’re talking about crashing this plane into the ground. We have to do something. I’m putting a plan together.
Deena: Who’s helping you?
Tom: Different people. Several people. There’s a group of us. Don’t worry. I’ll call you back.

6:54 a.m. Fourth cell phone call to Tom to Deena

Deena: Tom?
Tom: Hi. Anything new?
Tom: Where are the kids?
Deena: They’re fine. They’re sitting at the table having breakfast. They’re asking to talk to you.
Tom: Tell them I’ll talk to them later.
Deena: I called your parents. They know your plane has been hijacked.
Tom: Oh…you shouldn’t have worried them. How are they doing?
Deena: They’re O.K.. Mary and Martha are with them.
Tom: Good.

(a long quiet pause)

Tom: We’re waiting until we’re over a rural area. We’re going to take back the airplane.
Deena: No! Sit down, be still, be quiet, and don’t draw attention to yourself! (The exact words taught to me by Delta Airlines Flight Attendant Training).
Tom: Deena! If they’re going to crash this plane into the ground, we’re going to have do something!
Deena: What about the authorities?
Tom: We can’t wait for the authorities. I don’t know what they could do anyway.
It’s up to us. I think we can do it.
Deena: What do you want me to do?
Tom: Pray, Deena, just pray.

(after a long pause)

Deena: I love you.
Tom: Don’t worry, we’re going to do something...

That's American. You can tweet his daughter:

https://twitter.com/halleyburnett?s=17

I figure it might be nice to know he is NOT forgotten.
Don't know about anyone else, but this brought me to tears. Studs that remind me of how I should try to live my life. I am humbled by their sacrifice.
Old 12 September 2019, 11:56
Confirmed User

Me and mine will Never EVER forget, and never EVER forgive. It pisses me off to no end that my 17 year old son has never known a time that we have not been at war in one way or the other. My son was conceived literally days before this tragic event. My then-wife and I visited ground zero in FEB '02. Dust still everywhere, a burger king still spraypainted as a designated Police station, and we saw the conveyer belts where the lower levels used to be removing debris, and possibly human remains from the site. The surrounding buildings were still trashed.
Memorials, candles, and have you seen my signs/posters were still festooned on the privacy walls(whatever those fabric walls are they put up around construction areas are called), and it broke my f-ing heart.

I was at MEPS being sworn into DEP in JAN '02. Fast forward 18 years, and my 6 and 3 year old sons have never known a time without war as well, and that pisses me off too.

A high school buddy just started teaching 8th grade social studies, and showed a 9/11 video planning to discuss it for a while then get back to his regular planning schedule. That didn't happen as I told him that morning through bookface to discuss this with his students in detail as we were here to experience it(we were 18-19 years old when it happened).

He spent the rest of the period having an open discussion about the events that transpired that day, and disregarded whatever else was on the schedule that day. At least I know for a fact that every student he has will Never Forget.

“To look around at what you have accomplished in a day gives a man a good feeling. Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.”- Richard Proenneke
Old 12 September 2019, 12:39
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
M
He spent the rest of the period having an open discussion about the events that transpired that day, and disregarded whatever else was on the schedule that day.
I did similarly with my 10th and 11th graders. Afterwards, I gave them a creative writing assignment that put them into the cockpit of an unarmed F-16 with the mission to intercept and take down United 93. In real life the F-16s didn't get there in time, but the pilots had already made the decision to do a kamikaze ramming attack on the airliner to prevent another building full of people from being hit.

The first part of the assignment was to determine whether they would be willing to make that same decision to save the lives of Americans they had never met at the expense of their own life, and why or why not.

The second part was whether the people saved in the target building owed anything measurable to the dead kamikaze pilot, and why or why not.

The third part was whether people not born yet in 2001 (like themselves) owed anything measurable to the family of the dead kamikaze pilot, and why or why not.

The fourth part was, based on their answers to questions 1-3, whether they would approve or disapprove of their own boyfriend's or girlfriend's decision to join the military or become a police officer, and why or why not.

Credit was awarded not for their answers but for how well they articulated and supported their reasons to do or not do things.

Without revealing who wrote what yesterday, today I put tally marks on the board showing how many people had answers yes or no to each question as a springboard for a discussion.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 September 2019, 12:44
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

Never forget. Never forgive.

And now we have Rep. "Some people did something" (D-MN) in the US House of Representatives.
Old 12 September 2019, 12:52
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Without revealing who wrote what yesterday, today I put tally marks on the board showing how many people had answers yes or no to each question as a springboard for a discussion.
And? You can't just leave us hanging like that.
Old 12 September 2019, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
ditto
Old 12 September 2019, 16:30
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Question 1 = 7 yes, 22 no.
Question 2 = 19 yes, 10 no.
Question 3 = 4 yes, 25 no, but nearly 20 of the no answers agreed that appreciation and admiration was owed but not anything monetary or measurable.
Question 4 = 11 yes 18 no, but most of the no answers included the caveat that they can do whatever they please anyway.

The takeaway is that most of these kids appreciate that sometimes someone needs to be a hero and that heroes should be praised and admired for their sacrifices. However, most don't want to ever be a hero, don't want to face situations that could cause them to choose to be a hero, and don't think they should have to compensate out of their own treasure those who risk their lives for the sake of the rest of us.

I've got a few kids who are ready to sign up to carry the fight to the bad guys, and I've got a few bleeding heart liberals, but in general it is more of a libertarian vibe.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 September 2019, 20:08
Confirmed User

Whoa, wait a sec. What?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/12/polit...Lb6wK6JPgiW5Gg

Quote:
Washington (CNN)The Justice Department will reveal the name of an individual believed to be connected to the Saudi government and accused of aiding two of the 9/11 hijackers, prosecutors said in a court filing Thursday.

The person's identity will remain a closely guarded secret for now, though it will be shared with attorneys representing the families of victims of the attacks who have alleged the government of Saudi Arabia helped to coordinate the terrorists in a lawsuit. the attorneys can then petition the Justice Department to release the name wider.

-----

That the disclosure came under President Donald Trump is especially striking given the administration's efforts to maintain close relations with the powerful Arab ally, including by downplaying the kingdom's involvement in the recent murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Attorney General William Barr made the final decision, a Justice Department official said.
Please tell me we are finally Draining the Motherfucking Swamp, and bringing some real justice.
Old 12 September 2019, 20:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
However, most don't want to ever be a hero, don't want to face situations that could cause them to choose to be a hero, and don't think they should have to compensate out of their own treasure those who risk their lives for the sake of the rest of us.
Disappointing. Makes those who do step up all the more valued.

Our new posting rules