SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 September 2019, 15:00
Voodoo guru

SOCNET Golf Thread

I am not sure how it is possible, but there seems to be no Golf thread here. I know that there are golfers here.

So who here plays?
What clubs do you hit?
What's your handicap (don't just answer, yes).
How often do you play?
What do you like about it?

What about course recommendations for those that can travel?

I grew up in a golf family, and being the typical boy, I rebelled. Got into martial arts instead. So here I am, decades later, just now fully embracing the game. I've played because I have to for work, but never really made an effort to become good at the game. In light of a few injuries, professional position, and an urge to engage in more activities that tend to include others, where I'm not punching, kicking, elbowing, choking, or otherwise making someone else uncomfortable. Golf seemed like an enlightened choice.

Well, three weeks ago, I played for the first time in about 3 years. I haven't swung a club since I got through a broken back and a couple TBI's. And lemme tell ya, that was the most fun I've ever had playing the game. I was with my brother, uncle and cousin while up in the Pittsburgh area for my grandmothers funeral. The ego was checked and there was no expectation of even being able to hit the ball for the reasons just mentioned. Not only was it the most fun I've had playing the game, it was the best game that I've ever played.

I played a legit 94. No mulligan's, or any other version of a gimme. Wow, was that a satisfying game, and I suck. I can only imagine how you guys that are good at the game feel. It is immensely and physically satisfying as a game and way to spend time.

I'm all in now. To the point that I'm backing off MMA a couple days a week and trading those practice sessions for either range time, or 9 holes. It feels great. All of it. The ritual of that first hit from the T, the great chip shots, stopping for a beer rounding the bend after 9, to getting a great meal and drink at the 19th.

The biggest issue is going to be gear... I'm a gear head in whatever I take on. A year before I broke my back in 16, I had some Mizuno's made. That alone helped my "game" back then. My golf competent brother and cousin said to check out PXG clubs. A golf company started by former Marine and founder of Go Daddy to make the best clubs possible. They're some of the most expensive clubs on the market. But damn, do they make a difference.

I went to a PXG fitting, which takes at least an hour. I got warmed up with my driver and 6 iron. The driver is most most consistent club, I've always been able to drive the ball very well; but that's about it. The fitter config'd the PXG driver, and I flubbed my first shot with it, but it still went farther than my driver that I hit dead straight. Over the course of an equal number of swings with the PXG, I was hitting on average 17 yards farther.

I wasn't there for a full set of clubs, just a driver. But I had my 6 iron with me, so I warmed up, hit that, fairly well. Same story as before with the driver. More consistent, better feel, and farther.

I ended up buying a full set. Here's the cool thing if you don't know, PXG does a military discount. And they're aggressive about it. I think that it winds up being about a 50% discount. The clubs are still on the upper end of the price category, but if you're a golfer and want clubs that you're not going to out hit any time soon, it's a good investment. The model names are MOS id's.... 0211 and 0311.

Sorry if that sounded like a commercial. It's not. Just stoked about the new addiction.

One more thing I've found immensely helpful insofar as training is a guy named Adam Young. He's got some awesome online instructional's that are easily as informative as a lesson if you're honest with yourself in your practice. KISS principal at work.

If ya come to ATL, golf and beer.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 17 September 2019, 16:10
In Vino Veritas

You were a lot cooler when you talked about P cars...
Old 17 September 2019, 16:59
The atomic zit

I’m glad you’re digging it and found something a little less stressful on your old joints... :D.

Mark Twain has a quote about golf with which I agree. I will keep that one to myself.

There is another quote about the man who has to play golf as a part of his business. My best recollection, “If your score is under 90 you’re ignoring your business, and if your score is over 90 you’re ignoring your golf game.” Someone that knows more than me can tell you the magic number from that quote.

Take Care,

S
Old 17 September 2019, 19:18
Confirmed User

Best golf advice I've ever received; If you're not betting, then you're just out for a walk in the park with another guy.
Old 17 September 2019, 21:21
Going cyclic!!

Golf is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Once I figured out that I would never be Tiger Woods, I enjoyed it a lot more. I golf about a dozen or so times a year. The wife and I actually like to travel to places and just stop at a course along the way and jump out and play a quick 9.
I have no idea what my handicap is. When I golfed on a league 25 years ago it was around 12 or so.
My main thought is to hit more good shots than bad ones. Oh and I get a chance to drink and drive, lol
Old 17 September 2019, 22:08
been ***** **** that

Heck ya, I golf. It is the shit! I just started hitting balls again after a ten year hiatus. Shit happened, body going south, my good golfing buddy drank himself to death....you know , life , dude! I will chime in more later, I have to get some zzzzzzzzzzz's, I am working out the rest of the season on the golf course down the road, today all the old babes were playing and I had to keep ahead of them with the mower, some of em are still pretty feisty!
Old 18 September 2019, 08:09
Been There Done That

I have a pitching wedge and a 9 iron...got a 5 hole par three around my yard and field. Bout all I need, chug and swing...when I play shitty, sit on the porch, chug a little more until I play better. Never played on a real course...
Old 18 September 2019, 10:13
Confirmed User

I started to enjoy golf more when I watched some guys who had to be in there 70's doing the "old man" swing. 180 yards straight as an arrow and get to the green. I stopped attempting to murder that little golf ball and just went with a relaxed swing. That helped me get rid of a pretty bad slice and hit the ball straighter.

That one good hit that happens always brings you back to the greens.
Old 18 September 2019, 10:25
Authorized Personnel

Grew up playing with my grandfather, father, family and friends. Played a lot through college and for a few years after. Now just every so often... work related or if I visit my friends out in Cali and AZ. I値l go out and shoot 100 the first day, but if I play the following day, I知 in the 90s. Play regularly and I知 in the 80s.

Prefer to pull my bag and walk. Hard to do now though on a lot of courses. Equipment: Ping Eye 2 irons and Taylor Made woods with an Odyssey putter. If I start again, I値l update my clubs but keep my putter.

Watch the Golf Channel regularly and tournaments. Used to go to the TPC Sawgrass every year (89-00). Like the young players... Rory, DJ, Ricky... etc., go Koepka (FSU), and still root for Tiger.

P.S. The two best stress relievers are to go to the driving range and whack the shit out of golf balls or go to the gun range and sling lead bullets... Ymmv.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 18 September 2019, 10:31
Authorized Personnel

Many of the courses around here, have a cart driving around delivering cold beer, over priced hydration is always important, especially when served by skimpily clad young ladies.
Old 18 September 2019, 12:25
Confirmed User

I used to play quite a bit then life took over. My best game ever was an 84. I walked onto a nicer course near me one night after work in July 1996. My wife was away with our then 7 month old so I had the time.

I walked, carried my bag and was paired with some dude I didn't know. Everything jus fell together. I was like the Bishop in Caddyshack (minus the lightning). This particular year I had played a lot hitting the ball fairly well.

Up until a few weeks ago I hadn't played for several years. I played 9 with a couple of neighbors. Shot a 52, with 3 pars and a shit load of double/triple bogies.

Now being retired I'd like to play more but my hip/back is flaring up (seeing a surgeon today) so I'll probably hold off until next season to pick it back up with any vigor.

I am still using my 25 year old King Cobra Irons with a Big Bertha driver (all steel).
Old 18 September 2019, 20:47
Been There Done That

If I swung a golf club I would end up in the ER. I did play some. Fun & frustrating at the same time. Beer & golf cart racing made up for any bad score.

Karl Childers
Old 18 September 2019, 21:20
Authorized Personnel

Inside every golf course is a rifle range struggling for freedom.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

Life is forced upon the living without their prior consultation. -Me
Old 18 September 2019, 22:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post

-Stan
Now thats fucking funny right there.

Karl Childers
Old 19 September 2019, 08:40
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post

-Stan
Only you...

Old 19 September 2019, 08:41
Voodoo guru

Ever have a swing epiphany? As in change one thing, and all of a sudden some issues you were having is just gone?

Old 19 September 2019, 08:58
Sub Rosa

I use to play a lot. Now I play a little but coach the school's golf team and accompany my daughter on her junior golf association tournaments. Plenty of folks diss the game, and I understand why. But, as somebody above said, once you realize you're not going to get an invitation to play the PGA, then it becomes a lot of fun.
Old 19 September 2019, 09:03
Shakin' the bush Boss

I enjoy golf because I just get out there and drink beer and whale away. I don't care if I shoot 125. I have a local course that lets me play free with a .mil ID, cart and all. Sometimes I go by myself and just blast away without even keeping score.
Old 19 September 2019, 09:07
Authorized Personnel

I like golf, I even played a few times on the JRTC OPS golf team. I’m not good at it all but I do like the beer cart.

I do have a complete set of clubs but I normally only use a driver, several woods, a nine iron, pitching wedge and putter. I don’t remember playing with anything else in my bag.

Once a when I was on the tee, my son said that I suck so bad that I should give up and then I crushed the crap out of it... as far as my hairline has receded and as straight as the highway to Hell. It’s always that one shot and beer cart that keeps me coming back. It’s also family outdoor fun. We laugh at each other probably more more annoying to their players but we don’t care, we go quick and play best ball once we get off the tee.

One day I hope to crack 70 on the front 9. :)

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 19 September 2019, 09:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Ever have a swing epiphany? As in change one thing, and all of a sudden some issues you were having is just gone?
If I try to crush it, I値l slice the shit out of it. However, I致e learned to take my swing on a nice even tempo (back and forth) and I値l usually hit it straight on the fairway. Used to putt like a gorilla but I use a reverse grip and my putting has gotten much better.

And I agree with others, I just go out, enjoy the walk, and try to improve my game. Not looking to get my PGA card. Although, my friends who are scratch golfers all say they did it the same way... 的 had a lot of free time a while back and played almost everyday for the summer. The major breaks are 100s to 90s to 80s and then to the 70s.

Also, Agree with 10thvet. It痴 that one good strike that keeps me going. Was playing in Baja Mexico once from the Pro tees because my friends are scratch golfers and IDNGAF and said yeah I値l play from there too. We were on one hole with an elevated tee 100ft drop to long narrow fairway dog leg left. I hit a beautiful drive, which was the best out of our group. They were like Damn! Which is why I keep playing.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv

Our new posting rules