SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 10 December 2002, 03:46
QCO French Letter Vulcanising Company!

Brilliant!
Haney is one very smart man. And he doesn't lack humility.
From his argument with Beckwith at the Delta Selection panel, you could see this was no ordinary man. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Read it in one session.....

A couple of points though. Haneys statements about what happened to the Laotian POW's needs looking into. I just finished Jim Braces book about his time as a Civvy prisoner caught in Laos, kept in jungle camps, then finally taken to the Hanoi Hilton to spend the last few years of his captivity there with US POW's. At first the North Vietnamese tried to segregate Brace and two or three other prisoners from Laos, but when a young SFC was released early, he took the names of the Laotian Prisoners back to the US along with a lot of other names of POW's that had "disappeared/MIA etc." The North Vietnamese gave up trying to keep the Laotians presence secret from the other POW's. That being the case, why were 125 left to die in Laos, when the US clearly had knowledge they were there?
Who would suffer the most by the return of these people back to the US???? I think that's how Haney phrased it. Someone had cause to fear the return of those POW's. I wonder who that could have been......

Then when Haney described what happened with Saenz, it seems as though someone wanted Saenz and his men dead at all costs. As Haney said, they were to be given no quarter or chance of surrender, they had to be killed, end of story. Who's stuff up did this belong to???

Both situations stink to high heaven. I wonder if the truth will ever come out about them?

Johnno

"If you miss your Ex, reload and have another go!!"

Last edited by bsmart; 14 December 2002 at 00:01.
Old 10 December 2002, 05:27
Probationary User

Damn what a life!

I just finished it.......And thought it was great.

It gives me new insight into the life of a Delta......and what these guys gotta go through.

Man that POW part was hardcore.
Old 16 December 2002, 12:27
Confirmed User

Haney wanted to say more.

I finished the book last week and agree with everything I've read in this forum.

I believe Haney wanted to say more. His mention of the pow's didn't go very deep at all. And he almost got personal when he mentioned the mission in Honduras and finding out that he had just killed Saenz. He was told to shut up. And he did. But I still think he wanted to say a lot more about a lot of things.

I especially liked his insight into selection and the cross-country navigation courses they had set up. I could feel blisters on my feet again reading that story.

I recommend Haney highly and look forward to anything else he would write about.

Note: I'd like to take this opportunity to say that the pow issue is huge. There is so much information out there about exactly the things you guys have mentioned. The issue is so large that a separate pow/mia board could be started. If anyone is interested in this issue, contact me and I can give you more information on it than you want. It's an extremely frustrating and depressing issue to get into, so be forewarned. I have to leave it for weeks and months at a time just to cool down. It's definitely not something you can get into without getting very angry.

RLTW
Heat Seeker
Old 21 December 2002, 15:24
Confirmed User

Good book, its probably the most you'll read about Delta Force for a long time. Points out how politicians should keep their noses out of operations but like thats ever going to happen. The part about the hijacking of the plane by the old man was pretty fucking funny. I wouldn't have wanted to kill him either. Its obvious that he only scratched the surface of his career. The book could have been 4 times longer.

The issue of the POWs is a piss off but its reality. Politicians aren't Rangers, they have no problem with leaving men behind if it will save or better their career.
Old 15 May 2003, 15:00
BTDT

Quote:
Originally posted by garett
Points out how politicians should keep their noses out of operations but like thats ever going to happen.

The issue of the POWs is a piss off but its reality. Politicians aren't Rangers, they have no problem with leaving men behind if it will save or better their career.

Sad, but true:

Terry
Old 16 May 2003, 08:32
BTDT

Re: Haney wanted to say more.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bell

Note: I'd like to take this opportunity to say that the pow issue is huge. There is so much information out there about exactly the things you guys have mentioned. The issue is so large that a separate pow/mia board could be started.

RLTW
Heat Seeker
I concur:

Terry
Old 24 June 2003, 16:37
Super-Hero-In-Training

How does this book compare with Charlie Beckwith's book?
but rather a lack of will."- Vince Lombardi
Old 25 June 2003, 07:11
Crimson Guard

I think the biggest difference between this and Beckwith's book is that Beckwith's book was written from a command level perspective and Haney's was written at an operator level perspective.

It doesn't take anything from either of them though, they're both great books.
Old 26 June 2003, 17:29
Been There Done That

I havenít read his book but I met Haney several times, good guy, he's friends with Purdy and Spears thatís good enough for me. I asked him to come on here Iíll try again
Old 30 June 2003, 18:44
Probationary User

Wonderful!

I just picked this book up today at my local library and I'm half way through it, it's simply amazing at the training that those select few go through and what they accomplish. One of my favorite parts thus far is during the description of the "Shooting House" and when the instructors were demonstrating a raid to the *instructees*.

"Bill asked, 'Did everybody see what happened during the assault?'
'Hell no, Bill,' somebody croaked. 'All we saw was that damn flash-bang and then you guys were in here.'
'That's the way it's supposed to work,' replied Bill."

Another thing I found amazing was that even though these men are such a close unit and socialize with only each other, information concerning each other still remains on a need to know basis, for example when Haney described someone disappearing out of no where and then returning...No one asked him anything at all.

It's simply a wonderful and well-written book...Now I'm off to go read some more. :D
Old 24 August 2003, 09:29
Repaired SWATCop

Inside D.F.

I thought it was a good quick read. The selection section was probably the best part. These types of books always leave you hungry for what isn't written. What are you going to do?

Grumpy Mike
Old 26 August 2003, 13:05
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Can someone please explain to me how Haney is a founding member when he wasnt even the first class to do selection? Have any of the Batt boys who have read this book gone to the Army's scout swimmer course? I wont write down the quote but Haney said that on there final swim of the course it was an 18 miler. I went to Marine scout swimmer course and 2 mile helo cast open ocean swims were the norm and a 5 miler is/was the longest.Ive talked to a few of my ST friends and one from this board and their longest was about 7. I enjoyed some of the book but I kinda take everything with a grain of salt! Maybe someone can bring me up to speed.Thanks

SGTROCK

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 26 August 2003, 14:13
Do I smell chum?

I finished the book last week and enjoyed it, but it raised some questions for me. I'm no expert in this area, but the book struck me as addressing some subjects that ought to be classified.
Old 27 August 2003, 13:30
Confirmed User

Rock,

Pm sent.
Old 31 August 2003, 21:54
Just A Girl

Quote:
Originally posted by SGTROCK
Can someone please explain to me how Haney is a founding member when he wasnt even the first class to do selection?
It is my understanding that he was not a founding member. How do I know? Was I there? No I was not. A founding member and I go way back, he called last week and this subject came up. When I mentioned the book and the "founding member" bit, he made many negative remarks. Based on what he said, I decided against reading the book, although I am interested in anything regarding the POW/MIA issue.

Note: before I'm cussed out and fired, no I don't think I'm in the unit because I know a few who were. I am simply trying, in the best way I can find to explain it, to answer a question. Since I am not at liberty of disclosing names and such, you don't have to believe me.

Jennifer Martinez sends
"I believe this Muslim proliferation is prophecy. These people are the Anti Christ and the great holy war of Revelations is just beginning. They are the greatest threat that mankind has ever faced." - D. L. Mathers
Old 31 August 2003, 23:36
Arrogant Bastard

I will say it was an interesting book, but I would not put stock in some of the poop he put out.

It was a good way to kill 6 hours in the airport.
Old 1 September 2003, 00:54
Just A Girl

Now there's a good question, did DOD approve.

(Someone was dropped from the unit rolls)

Thanks for the welcome back, SGTROCK. I'm still undecided though.

Jennifer Martinez sends
"I believe this Muslim proliferation is prophecy. These people are the Anti Christ and the great holy war of Revelations is just beginning. They are the greatest threat that mankind has ever faced." - D. L. Mathers
Old 1 September 2003, 23:51
BTDT

Quote:
Originally posted by Teutates
Ditto...........

Hope/Glad you're back Jen.

T
What he said:

Terry
Old 2 September 2003, 12:23
Probationary User

Founding Member

Based on my understanding of what I read, Haney claims founding member because he was part of the group when it first became "operational." He wasn't in the first group that went through selection, but in the second that went through a short time later, if I recall. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

He was part of the first operators course, and therefore his claim to being a founding member. Sounds valid to me, but what do I know.

Also, the 18-mile swim was supposedly part of a Greek swimmer-scout course, but that distance has been disputed in a thread here.

He worked in quite a few jabs at Special Forces in the book.

Did DOD approve? Normally books on the CIA by former employees will have a note at the front that says the book was vetted by the CIA. ( Baer left in the blackened out parts the CIA censors put in See No Evil.) I saw no such note in Inside Delta (but that doesn't prove it wasn't vetted.)
Old 2 September 2003, 13:21
Swimming Upstream

Re: Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Leozinho
Based on my understanding of what I read, Haney claims founding member because he was part of the group when it first became "operational." He wasn't in the first group that went through selection, but in the second that went through a short time later, if I recall. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

He was part of the first operators course, and therefore his claim to being a founding member. Sounds valid to me, but what do I know.

Also, the 18-mile swim was supposedly part of a Greek swimmer-scout course, but that distance has been disputed in a thread here.

He worked in quite a few jabs at Special Forces in the book.

Did DOD approve? Normally books on the CIA by former employees will have a note at the front that says the book was vetted by the CIA. ( Baer left in the blackened out parts the CIA censors put in See No Evil.) I saw no such note in Inside Delta (but that doesn't prove it wasn't vetted.)
As far as vetting is concerned, I've seen other books written by ex military folks that weren't vetted. The details and topics discussed are still considered classified. What someone is supposed to do vs. what they do.....don't always jive. Don't know about Haneys book.

Our new posting rules