SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 18 December 2018, 16:47
Sub Rosa

Another tragedy.

This one hits close to home as I personally know his brother (also a vet-Naval Officer), sister-in-law, and his 3-nephews. They are an upstanding family, active in the local church and school, which is where I know them. I pray for Col Turner's soul and the family's peace! Also I don't know why Bay Pines has had more suicides then all of the other VA locations in the state combined so I won't speculate or comment. However, the contents of his suicide note along with the fact that he shot himself on VA property while seated on his military service record, pretty much is a clear indicator of his thoughts on the VA, albeit at the same time recognizing that he clearly had serious mental health issues. RIP Sir.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/militar...2013-20181217/
Old 18 December 2018, 18:14
Authorized Personnel

Bay Pines puts a lot of effort into a shiny outside.

Rest easy Col. Turner.
Old 18 December 2018, 18:19
giving you a number

Rest in Peace Col Turner
Old 18 December 2018, 18:20
Been There Done That

Well, I can tell you after receiving "decent" care outside Ft. Campbell post retirement, having my meds "tweaked" for 5 YEARS to get them right, and moving to Tampa...my FIRST APPOINTMENT at Bay Pines went something like this"
1. We don't want or need any of your previous records.
2. We will NOT write you ANY prescriptions for AT LEAST the next 18 months after we have exhausted all realms of more conservative treatment (which I had already gone through AND having current prescriptions for all of my medications to present to them from Nashville)
and last but not least....
3. You will be placed 90 day INPATIENT FOR DETOX AND CLEANSING of ALL MEDICATIONS FROM YOUR SYSTEM.

All this in a FOUR MINUTE INTAKE APPOINTMENT.

I walked out.

Over the next 6 months I ended up writing so many letters and garnering so much "attention" that my record was "red flagged" (as told to me by a VA rep at Bay Pines - and I had a personal visit from the head of Bay Pines VA to my home....where I was once again told that my previous records were not necessary (seriously? 31 years of med records? 16 MAJOR surgeries? A freakin BRAIN TUMOR removed months before I retired?) and that the new "conservative approach was the standard of care.

I found a local doctor who sees me twice a year, refills my scripts, makes sure I am GTG, and is there should something odd show up.

The VA has FAILED ME, as it has so many others. I simply pay out of pocket.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Despite my understanding of being on meds for YEARS and suddenly having them all cut off IMMEDIATELY with not recourse....and KNOWING the dangers of this being a provider myself....I can only imagine his state of mind after giving so much - to be turned into yet another 4 minute appointment.
Old 18 December 2018, 18:32
Authorized Personnel

Rest In Peace, Colonel Turner and thank you for your service. I'm sorry it came to that....
Old 18 December 2018, 18:47
Another pool cleaner

RIP Col Turner.
Old 18 December 2018, 18:54
Hard to Kill

Rest Peacefully, Sir. Hopefully your sacrifice will get the attention it deserves.
Old 18 December 2018, 19:08
Been There Done That

RIP Col Turner

ussfpa - The VA has failed so many in so many locales, yet help so many in other locales...

This is a huge piece of the puzzle - why is the standard of care so wildly variable? The standards are what they are, yet they are applied in vastly different ways in the varying regions and the varying hospitals, and even within hospitals

I've had both excellent care from the VA, and I've had "care" that, had I not refused it, was flat-out dangerous.

I had a provider send me to the pharmacy - when I got to the pick up window there was a bag with 9 different psychotropic meds waiting for me (SSRI + venefax + trazadone + divalproic acid + ... (The provider was supposed to simply renew a script for lorazapam 1 mg qd prn...)

I've woken up in the middle of a colonoscopy because the versed had been cut with water - the CRNA was stealing 15-20% of every other dose...

On the other hand - my post retirement reconstructive surgery (degloving injury to my face...) was excellent care and excellent out outcomes...

Cutting a guy off from his meds is obviously bad juju. The swing to a "conservative" approach to mental health treatment (and pain management...) done overnight so that a particular hospital director can show up on the rolls as having "significantly reduced XXX..." is the result of these directors and regional directors having far to large a say in how "their" personal fiefdom enriches them.

Anyway - anyone seeking care at a VA should know that there are good ones and bad ones - research the rep and OUTCOMES at a hospital before you consent to be treated there. If it is bad - seek care elsewhere...
Old 19 December 2018, 00:07
Been There Done That

RIP Sir.

FTVA

Karl Childers
Old 19 December 2018, 06:33
been ***** **** that

This is really , really sad and all these tragedies hit way too close to home for all of us. My prayers are with the family and friends. So much frustration and depression out there with so little empathy from some necessary administrative and possibly care giving personnel.
Old 19 December 2018, 06:37
Shakin' the bush Boss

I've had my own VA issues. Things like this just make me angry. I hope COL Turner finds the peace he was searching for. RIP COL.
Old 19 December 2018, 08:31
Authorized Personnel

Rest in peace. My condolences to you and his family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
The VA has FAILED ME, as it has so many others. I simply pay out of pocket.
This is my experience as well. I simply pay out of pocket for the treatment I need using Tricare Select for Retirees.
Old 19 December 2018, 08:35
Been There Done That

A former friend and teammate is mentioned in that article, Joe Jorden (RIP).

I am being treated at James Haley in Tampa. Top knotch trearment, took all my previous records and meds not changing any, and identified some additional issues that are being treated.

Rest in Peace Col.
Old 19 December 2018, 09:26
Authorized Personnel

John Haley VA, Tampa, notified after back operation that procedure was done by students across the street.
Bay Pines Va, St Petersburg, misdiagnosed cancer as acid re flux.
No recourse for either of these complaints, only frustration.
Old 19 December 2018, 13:21
Problem Solver

Rest in peace, Colonel Turner.

Semper Fidelis...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."

Our new posting rules