SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 14 January 2019, 09:06
BTDT

Sionyx Aurora Digital NV

https://www.sionyx.com/

This is making some waves. $800 Retail, may be possible to find it for $600 supposedly. Not currently able to replace Analog Intensifier Tubes for certain applications, but man - if you need some 720p Color NV, it is very attractive. There are people 3D printing angled adapter plates for Wilcox mounts, etc. There are 1913 Mounts as well. A lot of reviews from the Boating Mags. Good video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3SN-ZSG7ls

Some decent user, as well as mfg stuff - with further links here:

h t t p s://www . instagram . com/explore/tags/sionyxaurora/?hl=en
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 14 January 2019, 18:39
What could possibly go wrong?

Price is attractive for what your getting, while understanding the limitations
Old 31 May 2019, 05:53
BTDT

So, this came in. Currently on sale for Father's Day from Sionyx direct, but both Adorama and B&H Photo are matching the price without dealing with coupons. Adorama is on Amazon, but B&H ships even faster. $699

This thing is pretty amazing. It looks bigger online in pics and videos, than it really is - as you can see, it's about the same size as 14. It's completely symmetric, where as the 14 tube is smaller, but all the stuff jutting out makes them about even, IMO.

Getting the one negative out of the way (only one I can think of having only had it for 2 days): If you will be killed by turning on a supplemental IR light source in zero to very low illum conditions - then this is not for you.

But if you are anywhere that *isn't* a war zone - and have at least a 1/4 moon, any ambient, or grab an $18 940nm Fandy IR Flashlight off of Amazon, you get a 720p HD image, in color (or Grayscale if desired), at night.

Given those conditions, the image looks as good, or better, than the latest "buyable" generation, filmless, white phosphor analog units I've seen videos of - obviously I can't do an in person comparison, as I didn't want to spend $3,000-$10,000, LOL!

You may run across comments about digital lag: there is none (that is noticeable) once you tweak the settings (mainly turning image stabilization off). Waiting on a Wilcox dovetail to test some driving - but walk/jog is fine.

Quote:
Resolution/Frame Rate: 720p/30fps, Night Glow: Color or Grey Scale, EIS:Off, HDR:On, 1:1 Image, -0.7 or -1.0 Exposure Compensation, EVF Brightness: Low
Going down to 360p/24 and HDR:Off, may improve it even more, but still playing and I see no need to change anyway.

Can also record what is seen/heard in HD, has a Compass, GPS, a whole bunch of normal camera stuff, G Shock trigger event recording (for mounting on a weapon), can be networked, etc...

Anyway, big fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aurora I.jpg (21.3 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg PVS14.jpg (100.1 KB, 231 views)
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

Last edited by Polypro; 31 May 2019 at 06:26.
Old 31 May 2019, 06:58

Nice review, and good YT link in your OP, Poly; thanks.

Any idea if the reticle mentioned in the T.Rex overview is to be a new model or add-on to this one?

DaveP
Old 31 May 2019, 07:35
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Nice review, and good YT link in your OP, Poly; thanks.

Any idea if the reticle mentioned in the T.Rex overview is to be a new model or add-on to this one?

DaveP
No idea. I have Viz/IR LASER, so not really researching weapon mounted. There are rail mounts all over the place for it (It's a standard 1/4" x 20 camera mount - lug hole is a flattened oval. Most guys seem to be putting behind a Red Dot:

https://youtu.be/cPea2YpJ8Sc

If it's a magnified optic, I think it goes behind, but not sure - have to hit up the Googs.

Edit: Almost forgot ---> All you need to know, starting from day 1. There was even a Sionyx employee answering questions.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/S...491313/?page=1

Last edited by Polypro; 31 May 2019 at 07:56.
Old 3 June 2019, 23:51
Red Headed Stepchild

Looks pretty impressive considering the price. Big improvement in size and performance over the Bushnell and similar COTS NV I've used. 3 or 4 hundred bucks more would be worth it IMO.

Some interesting stuff starting to show up the past few years. FLIR One makes a smart phone attachable FLIR that's surprisingly capable Boson makes FLIR cameras compatible with drones you can get at Best Buy. The FLIR One product is a couple hundred bucks, the Boson is about 5K...but not for long I bet.
Old 4 June 2019, 07:47
Confirmed User

I’ve had one for a couple of weeks now. My previous NV was Gen 1. This blows it away.

Taking it to Africa this August, hoping to spy on some night time predators.
Old 4 June 2019, 09:41
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverescue View Post
I’ve had one for a couple of weeks now. My previous NV was Gen 1. This blows it away.

Taking it to Africa this August, hoping to spy on some night time predators.

And you can do that - no ITAR controls You doing Color or Greyscale? I keep switching back and forth trying to see what I like best. Greyscale sort of has the image like White Phospor analog. Under IR, it's all the same though, so maybe Color when Ambient/Moon is available, and Greyscale for IR.

I may go Duals in the future.

Old 4 June 2019, 10:02
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Looks pretty impressive considering the price. Big improvement in size and performance over the Bushnell and similar COTS NV I've used. 3 or 4 hundred bucks more would be worth it IMO.

Some interesting stuff starting to show up the past few years. FLIR One makes a smart phone attachable FLIR that's surprisingly capable Boson makes FLIR cameras compatible with drones you can get at Best Buy. The FLIR One product is a couple hundred bucks, the Boson is about 5K...but not for long I bet.

Sionyx recently won an Army contract in the Digital NV area. This will pick up fast. The Aurora can actually do something right now, that the $30,000 cool guy units can't do - but apparently the Devil will appear if you even talk about it

Old 6 June 2019, 08:17
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post

I may go Duals in the future.
You Just can't help yourself, can you?
Old 6 June 2019, 15:37
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Duals: You Just can't help yourself, can you?
$1400 vs at least $4k for crappy Gen 2+? It's almost mandatory, no?

Old 5 August 2019, 08:41
BTDT

PSA:

Due to the popularity of the Sionyx Aurora, the company has put out a new model to replace the original. It is the exact same device, except they have removed GPS functionality and dropped the price to $399. They targeted it at the Boating market, so it is Blue and White now... it's IP68(?) water resistent, so I'll be Cerakote "C"ing mine. I don't know if it's still going on, but they had a release special going that dropped it to $369 at sionyx.com

Screaming deal if you want to get into night vision without spending a couple thousand on analog.

Old 5 August 2019, 09:11
I reckon so. . .

Crikey! "Mount your Aurora Sport on your boat and use the Aurora smartphone app to remotely view imagery."
That is Cool!
Old 5 August 2019, 09:18
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Crikey! "Mount your Aurora Sport on your boat and use the Aurora smartphone app to remotely view imagery."
That is Cool!
Digital is coming. You should hear all the analog "elites" that spent $10K+ on duals, rationalizing (Now to be fair. the Aurora can't compete given the exact same environment, as L3, Film-less, White Phosphor - but if you won't die from supplementing with some IR in zero/very low illum, man it's a neat unit, and at Half-Moon or better...ooooooo boy is it close, if not equal or better).

InQ-Tel is funding them.

Old 5 August 2019, 09:24
I reckon so. . .

It's been coming for a decade. I'd watch and go "no. . .ugh!".

Looks more like, it's *here* LOL. finally. The price point is awesome.
Old 5 August 2019, 10:02

An 18650 generic battery is desireable!
Old 5 August 2019, 10:54
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve788 View Post
An 18650 generic battery is desireable!
Being digital, I just run a 15000mAh external battery pack in a Counterweight Pouch that can power it for days... If you use a battery with a built in solar panel, you could power it during the apocalypse, LOL!

Now, if you are talking just handheld/portable, maybe - but it will be bigger. OEM battery runs it for about 3hrs and spares are pretty cheap. On a boat, as installed tech, you can plug it in and run it forever...gotta love USB.

Our new posting rules