SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 25 June 2019, 20:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve788 View Post
Ammo cans rust if you look at em sideways...
A 30mm ammo can will stay dry inside for the rest of your life time.

Right before you put on the lid apply a bead of silicone seal on the rubber seal and on the edge of the can. Put what ever you want in ziplocks.

Geo-cachers use them all the time.

YMMV
Old 25 June 2019, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
A 30mm ammo can will stay dry inside for the rest of your life time.

YMMV
Buried?
Old 27 June 2019, 15:50
killjoy

Too many metal detectors out there, not to mention rust over time, and they tend to be too big for my needs here.

I pulled the box and it looks 99% good. No drops of water and just a hint of dampness to the paper towel. Gonna add a few desiccants and run with this one. Will check the box every couple of months at first to make sure it's still good. If it makes it one winter, I won't have to check it any more.
Old 28 June 2019, 19:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
The purpose of this is to protect important documents and electronics from wildfire. The box will be buried in the ground and must survive the wet winters.
Just wondering why it has to be buried? Surely there are plenty of fire-proof containers out there for the express purpose of protecting documents.
Old 30 June 2019, 18:23
killjoy

There are not that I've ever seen. All are rated for 30 minutes or one hour, and for low temp fires.

A bad wildfire, like the Camp one not too long ago, will make ash of them all. Metal was melted. People were turned into skeletons. That's not the kind of fire any of those boxes are made for.
Old 30 June 2019, 23:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
There are not that I've ever seen. All are rated for 30 minutes or one hour, and for low temp fires.

A bad wildfire, like the Camp one not too long ago, will make ash of them all. Metal was melted. People were turned into skeletons. That's not the kind of fire any of those boxes are made for.
The cloud is fireproof.

I've lost everything twice over due to flood then fire, so I'm probably not that stressed about keeping original documents as opposed to electronic copies.
Old 1 July 2019, 15:32
Administrator

In the diving world, there is no such thing as a "waterproof" container. There are a lot of claims out there, but at 120', everything leaks - some more than others.
Old 1 July 2019, 15:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
In the diving world, there is no such thing as a "waterproof" container. There are a lot of claims out there, but at 120', everything leaks - some more than others.
Pressurized SCUBA tank.
Old 2 July 2019, 14:21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Pressurized SCUBA tank.

And submarines. . . You can put gear in those.
Old 3 July 2019, 14:57
killjoy

It could double as a fallout shelter.
Old 6 July 2019, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Just wondering why it has to be buried? Surely there are plenty of fire-proof containers out there for the express purpose of protecting documents.
I think it's important in this day and age to not ask questions why people are burying things in non-metallic containers in their yard.
Old 6 July 2019, 21:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I think it's important in this day and age to not ask questions why people are burying things in non-metallic containers in their yard.
I hadn't thought of that. Good point.
Old 9 July 2019, 08:02
Been There Done That

Here's what I do with Pelican cases. Make sure that the o-rings are clean and lubricated with silicone grease then conduct a negative pressure check. Close the lid then apply a bit a pressure on the top of the lid to expel excess air. After a while the case pressure will equalize through the automatic pressure valve.

These cases are not meant to be buried. I would look for a time capsule case such as this.

https://tinyurl.com/y4rkngkb

You could always just build one out of PVC.
Old 9 July 2019, 17:11
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Oh no, not in my yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
These cases are not meant to be buried. I would look for a time capsule case such as this.

https://tinyurl.com/y4rkngkb

You could always just build one out of PVC.
I tried ABS. Didn't work well as water seeped through the threads of end caps. I'd prefer not to glue it because then I'd have to break it and redo it anytime I want to check on it.

I'd rather avoid metal because this is gold country and people run around with metal detectors. If I check back on my current setup and see it fail, I may have to switch to a time capsule like this one. But then I'd have to climb higher up the mountain and dig a lot deeper.
Old 10 July 2019, 00:16
Been There Done That

Quote:
I tried ABS. Didn't work well as water seeped through the threads of end caps. I'd prefer not to glue it because then I'd have to break it and redo it anytime I want to check on it.
Did you use pipe dope on the threads?
Old 10 July 2019, 11:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
Did you use pipe dope on the threads?
I've buried lots of stuff in PVC pipe, never had a leak...

2 points on that program:

1. Always solvent weld a clean-out fitting to the end of the pipe. Then, use a threaded plug - never a screw-on cap...

2. Dope-tape-dope...

All water-tight, under pressure threaded fittings should get, on the male threaded fitting, pipe dope, then PTFE tape, then another coating of pipe dope. Dope-tape-dope - ALWAYS...

I've used this same set-up to create sub-surface floats (8" PVC, capped on both ends, then chained on both ends to an I-beam at the bottom of a pond) and I've never had one leak. My buried caches are built this way.

Go to Napa Auto parts and order/buy the huge engine packing/pickling dessicant packs. They are 2" x 6" and meant to lay in the cylinder bores of engines while in storage or transport (great for use in the safe...) and throw a couple in the cache tube you've built. I doubt this set up will ever fail you, but test it for yourself...
Old 10 July 2019, 12:07
killjoy

Wouldn't the pipe dope cause the container to not be able to be opened and checked without damaging it and thus, having to replace it?

Also, what's the difference between threaded plug vs. screw cap? I used an end piece with threads and tightened it a lot(without tape or dope).

If the tape/dope would allow for access without damage I'd like to give this another try. Thanks.
Old 10 July 2019, 15:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Wouldn't the pipe dope cause the container to not be able to be opened and checked without damaging it and thus, having to replace it?
Pipe dope/thread dope is non hardening. You can open years after application. If it does harden where exposed to air - just put some JP4 / kerosene / or other petroleum-based product on it and let it soak for a bit...

Again, I stress that it should be dope on the threads, then tape over the dope, then dope over the tape. Dope-Tape-Dope - always !

Quote:
Also, what's the difference between threaded plug vs. screw cap? I used an end piece with threads and tightened it a lot(without tape or dope).
A threaded cap is no different than the lid on a peanut butter jar - it goes over the outer dimension of a threaded pipe...

A cleanout plug threads into a cleanout, like a bolt threads into a nut. So, you get a straight cleanout fitting and solvent weld that to the end of a pipe, then you use the cleanout plug to seal the cleanout...
Old 14 July 2019, 19:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve788 View Post
Buried?
Yup

Our new posting rules