SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 31 May 2018, 16:10
Administrator

I am new to this...but I just bought a box of Cohiba Robusto 35th anniversary editions from Havana. They are nothing short of orgasmic. Best cigar I have ever had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cohiba Robusto.JPG (116.8 KB, 239 views)

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 1 June 2018, 22:37

I love a good cigar and drink. I've got a couple humi's, probably around 100 sticks total.

One of the best and cheapest ways to keep your sticks humidified is using tupperware (tupperdore in cigar speak). Get one on Amazon, wash it out with hot soapy water and let it air dry for a day or two. Buy some 68 rH Boveda packs (Amazon) and get some cedar wood (the thin stuff that comes packed in cigar boxes).

Do a bit of searching online and you will see tons of videos on what and what not to do. Cigarbum dotcom is a great board with lots of good advice. Don't forget the Cigar Dojo app for your phone!

People always get caught up on what is the best cigar, blah blah blah. The best cigar is the one you are enjoying at that moment. Just sit back and relax, and enjoy!
Old 1 June 2018, 22:39

And Nicaraguan tobacco is on par with Cuban tobacco. They are both great. A special Cuban cigar is just a little more special, for good reason.
Old 14 June 2018, 19:02
Anesthetized User

So, finally got my humidor cured.

Should I store in or out of cellophane? How about glass tubes?

Thanks.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 14 June 2018, 20:10
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
So, finally got my humidor cured.

Should I store in or out of cellophane? How about glass tubes?

Thanks.
In home I store out of plastic, mostly because I buy by the box and they aren’t in cellophane. I have an ammo can humidor for my daily driver and I leave them in cellophane. I haven’t really noticed much of a difference but I’m sure someone will be along soon who has been smoking since I’ve been alive who will give you some better info.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO

Last edited by Whitebean54; 14 June 2018 at 20:21.
Old 14 June 2018, 21:22
Authorized Personnel

If you were to go to Havana and wanted to smoke one cigar, what would you light up?

I haven't smoked in almost 30 years, so something mild, as my throat is still somewhat tender from cancer. Price, as I'm only going to try one, should stay under $100.
Old 14 June 2018, 21:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
In home I store out of plastic, mostly because I buy by the box and they arenít in cellophane. I have an ammo can humidor for my daily driver and I leave them in cellophane. I havenít really noticed much of a difference but Iím sure someone will be along soon who has been smoking since Iíve been alive who will give you some better info.
I am no expert but everything i've read says to keep them in. The cellophane is breathable so its not supposed to mess with how much humidity the cigar gets. Also if you are storing different brands in the same humidor its supposed to protect from the flavors melding together..... or so im told.
Old 14 June 2018, 22:04
Been There Done That

I rarely smoke a cigar. I always wondered what brand of cigar did Former POTUS Clinton shove Monica's cunt? I would try some of those.

Karl Childers
Old 14 June 2018, 22:09
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I rarely smoke a cigar. I always wondered what brand of cigar did Former POTUS Clinton shove Monica's cunt? I would try some of those.
Pickle Tickle.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 14 June 2018, 22:33
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpns4l View Post
I am no expert but everything i've read says to keep them in. The cellophane is breathable so its not supposed to mess with how much humidity the cigar gets. Also if you are storing different brands in the same humidor its supposed to protect from the flavors melding together..... or so im told.
Iíve heard the same but have never seen a difference in favor with multiple brands/flavors stored in the same humidor out of plastic.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 15 June 2018, 06:03

Expat, as you try different ones, keep the label for the ones you like. I'm partial to the Maduro full flavored sticks but there are a bazillion out there. My current choice is LFD and anything My Father as they are all good. Let your stock sit for a few days in your humidor if they are hard or dry when you purchase. Those barber poles that Dark Helmet posted look amazing! Enjoy and they are always better with whiskey...
Old 11 August 2018, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
If you were to go to Havana and wanted to smoke one cigar, what would you light up?

I haven't smoked in almost 30 years, so something mild, as my throat is still somewhat tender from cancer. Price, as I'm only going to try one, should stay under $100.
I would go with an H. Upmann petit corona, they are mild but flavorful. Not terribly expensive either. Of course, you can't go wrong with a Montecristo.
Old 11 August 2018, 01:56
Confirmed User

MAIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Pickle Tickle.
Stinky Pinky
Old 14 August 2018, 09:49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider510 View Post
Of course, you can't go wrong with a Montecristo.
Meh...

As stated previously, the best cigar is the one that YOU like, which is spot-on. That said, I have purchased and smoked three boxes of Montecristos this year....and I find myself looking for reasons to smoke something other than them when I open my humidor. Just not as impressed with them as my peer group.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 14 August 2018, 11:30
exquisitus asinus

The more you smoke the more you will see your palate change and your tastes fluctuate..

You'll also find that you like certain types of cigars at certain times, but gravitate toward other things at different times..

Cigars are like wines in many ways.. most "age" well and become more smooth and flavors become more pronounced and defined over time.. but they can "age out" if not stored properly or if the tobacco used isnt one known to hold up over time.. and will become flat and tasteless..

They also tend to "pair" well with certain drinks and foods..

And then people have their own personal tastes, likes, and dislikes..

For example.. most people arent going to enjoy a very light, delicate, and complex, aged cuban cigar that primarily has a floral and herbal flavor profile paired with a bold stout beer, or after a heavy meal..

but a spicy, bold, flavor bomb with a dark wrapper and a cocoa/coffee flavor profile from the esteli region in nicaragua might be just the ticket when youre sipping on room temperature guinness..

Personally I tend to gravitate toward lighter, lower nicotine (strength) cigars with grassy/hay type profiles with morning coffee for example..

But will fire up a full bodied and full strength cigar in the evenings after a steak and potato type meal, and pair it with a bold, peaty single malt or a spicy dark rum..
Old 14 August 2018, 11:59
Old Scroll

Been using these boxes recently for the guitars I'm making, seems to be a nice smoke, if you're into that sortta thing.... Partagas 160th anniversary serial numbered limited edition, they seem to be going for about $20 bucks a pop, is what I'm seeing. You get 10 per box.

BTW, the boxes are spectacularly good for making a good heavyweight guitar.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 14 August 2018, 14:54
exquisitus asinus

I dont have any of those particular boxes.. but I do have probably 100 or so empty boxes taking up space in the bottom of my humidor..

If you are in need of boxes, I'd be happy to scour my stash and see if I have a few that are more on the heavy weight/sturdy side of the house and send them to you...

let me know..

I dont have the skills or tools to build anything like a guitar out of cigar boxes.. But I occasionally toy around with artsy/crafty type projects with them.. I've made presentation boxes out of them, ash trays out of them, some wall clocks, etc..

Old 14 August 2018, 16:35
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Monica should have come out with an endorsement, she could have really cleaned up.
Old 14 August 2018, 23:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Monica should have come out with an endorsement; she should have really cleaned up her blouse.
Fixed it for you.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

Old 15 August 2018, 03:05

I am a total novice cigar man myself but I find the Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real's to be a good standby for a mellow smoke. Partagas' regular cigar is a pretty good one as well.

Our new posting rules