SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 4 July 2019, 00:49
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Nuclear Blast Simulator

4th of July has me thinking about the explosive simulators we used in the Army......anyone else remember or ever see what I remember as the Battlefield Nuclear Blast Simulator? IIRC it was about 2x the size of those large smoke pots.

I wish I had one for tomorrow.....

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 5 July 2019, 09:08
Fan ar an gcosán

Nukeblast is a pretty good one. Used this or one similar for emergency planning in the past - https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
Old 5 July 2019, 09:41
Been There Done That

I had three of them back in the mid 90's. The ones that I had were pretty big, the size of a small garbage cans. It came in two pieces, one a "sound device" and one the "blast device". I got to light one off (took a car battery) when I say Bang it really went BANG!!!
Old 5 July 2019, 11:08

At Ft.Bragg in the late 70's one of our tasks in the summer was the training of college ROTC cadets. On year at the .45 range we decided to have some fun at their expense and placed a nuke simulator downrange. Then the range officer made a big show of carrying out a red painted ammo can and giving a bullshit lecture on the new " Top Secret" .45 round! With much fanfare and more bullshit, it was loaded up and fired, with the simultaneous setting off of the nuclear simulator! The look on there faces still makes me smile when i think about it....I am sure this shit would never happen in todays Army.
Old 5 July 2019, 11:46
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc P View Post
Nukeblast is a pretty good one. Used this or one similar for emergency planning in the past - https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
That should keep DD busy for a while.
Old 5 July 2019, 12:18
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
That should keep DD busy for a while.
LMAO! Just load an old fridge with Tannerite.
Old 5 July 2019, 12:24
Confirmed User

I just nuked my office - why am I here today?
Old 5 July 2019, 13:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
I just nuked my office - why am I here today?
Welcome to Hell?
Old 5 July 2019, 13:52
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
I had three of them back in the mid 90's. The ones that I had were pretty big, the size of a small garbage cans. It came in two pieces, one a "sound device" and one the "blast device". I got to light one off (took a car battery) when I say Bang it really went BANG!!!
That sound's like the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglework View Post
At Ft.Bragg in the late 70's one of our tasks in the summer was the training of college ROTC cadets. On year at the .45 range we decided to have some fun at their expense and placed a nuke simulator downrange. Then the range officer made a big show of carrying out a red painted ammo can and giving a bullshit lecture on the new " Top Secret" .45 round! With much fanfare and more bullshit, it was loaded up and fired, with the simultaneous setting off of the nuclear simulator! The look on there faces still makes me smile when i think about it....I am sure this shit would never happen in todays Army.
Probably not......too much fun.

Old 5 July 2019, 14:41
Red Headed Stepchild

Speaking of fireworks...

Back in the 90’s my A-10 squadron did quite a bit of JRTC support out of Barksdale AFB, which was a great opportunity to fill live fire squares at Redleg impact area.

We had MK-84s on the schedule one afternoon, and about 50 bombs into the second go we got a call from range control asking how many more we were planning on dropping.

“You guys are aware there’s a range limit on 2000 pounders right?”
“Uh, no.”
“Well wrap it up soon, folks in Leesville are calling in asking if you guys are dropping nukes.”
Old 10 July 2019, 13:53
Never to old to learn

Out at Ft Irwin CA we use to tie 5 or 6 Artillery Simulator together an set them off, it would cause a big cloud of dust in the air.

Heck only one of them would blow a probable shit house's to little bits of shit
Old 10 July 2019, 17:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Speaking of fireworks...

Back in the 90’s my A-10 squadron did quite a bit of JRTC support out of Barksdale AFB, which was a great opportunity to fill live fire squares at Redleg impact area.

We had MK-84s on the schedule one afternoon, and about 50 bombs into the second go we got a call from range control asking how many more we were planning on dropping.

“Uh, no.”
“Well wrap it up soon, folks in Leesville are calling in asking if you guys are dropping nukes.”
Up at Drum the A-10s would come up from Syracuse routinely. There was a hard rock stratum though the impact area. Drop some 500s just right and it’d rumble the nearby towns pretty well. I don’t think they dropped heavier than Mk82s
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 10 July 2019, 17:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Speaking of fireworks...

“Uh, no.”
Up at Drum the 16s would come up from Syracuse routinely. And 10s from I don’t know where. There was a hard rock stratum though the impact area. Drop some 500s just right and it’s rumble the nearby towns pretty well. I don’t think they dropped heavier than Mk82s
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 10 July 2019, 20:13
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

Here's the folks that probably made it: https://www.inverse.com/article/3346...are-grucci-dod

The division that makes the nuke blast simulation devices is Pyrotechnique By Grucci. I can't find the illustration I recall from an FM that I read once upon a time, but I definitely remember the two-part construction. One was flash and blast, and the second was the mushroom cloud.
Old 10 July 2019, 21:30
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

FOUND IT! Atomic Explosion Simulator M142 (Army TM 9-1370-207-10, March 1991):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nuke.sim.diagrams.jpg (32.3 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by kpel308; 10 July 2019 at 21:39.
Old 13 July 2019, 20:24
Been There Done That

I remember them at Fort Stewart being filled with 'molasses residium', a sticky brown fluid to simulate blister agent. One simulator would cover approx. a grid square with the gooey mess.
Old 13 July 2019, 20:50
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpel308 View Post
Here's the folks that probably made it: https://www.inverse.com/article/3346...are-grucci-dod

The division that makes the nuke blast simulation devices is Pyrotechnique By Grucci. I can't find the illustration I recall from an FM that I read once upon a time, but I definitely remember the two-part construction. One was flash and blast, and the second was the mushroom cloud.
I'm thinking they won't sell me one......

Our new posting rules