SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 5 July 2019, 20:09
In Vino Veritas

Who Knows about Cattle?

I debated putting this in the lounge, but here it goes, who here knows about cattle? As in raising and selling them. Yes, I know there are multiple ummmm "varietals" but in the most simplest terms; you put them on land, the eat, procreate, and you eventually sell them. My biggest question is how much care do they require? Is it only at certain times of the year? Do certain breeds do better in certain areas? What huge pitfall am I not thinking about?
Old 5 July 2019, 20:30
Been There Done That

My brother runs a couple thousand acres with cattle in NM...

To raise your own beef - if you have the acreage & time, good deal. ..

As a business - its a whole different level of 24/7 work. Who's buying, what regs are going to impact you, land use & water run off, beef futures fucktardery by huge producers...

Ask my brother & he'd tell you buy land and lease it to some other guy to run his cattle on... Then subdivide the land and sell it.

Care - they are ignorant animals that spend their days destroying the infrastructure you build to keep them alive. Fences, water lines, hay stations...

Certain breeds do better in certain places. Brangus are pretty hardy for lots of places, angus good in others, etc. What sells at the local auction? That tells you a lot about what breed dors well physically and monetarily in a location.

I'm sure that's not the help you're looking for, but maybe it is.

Last edited by sixgun; 5 July 2019 at 20:36.
Old 5 July 2019, 20:36
Red Headed Stepchild

I’m a Montana kid, there’s a bunch reasons I never had any interest in owning cattle and sixgun just listed some of them. Also good advice on the land by the way...

Having said that, there’s at least a couple guys here that run small herds, I’m sure they’ll check in.
Old 5 July 2019, 22:36
Confirmed User

My neighbor has a herd of 15-18 and sells them to individual buyers in whole, side and quarters. He is out there every damn day doing something with them. They are defiantly not a get and forget animal to raise. Feed whether hay, or feed corn is a major issue for him at times especially now with the bad wet weather growing seasons.

He has about 6-8 acres in two separate, fenced pastures and it is no where near enough for grazing that many without supplemental feed. I see them bring in a "round" of hay about twice a week. The grass takes at least a week to grow out per each individual pasture area and a day for them to graze it down. Long periods of wet weather delays it even more. From what I gather he is barely keeping his head above water on cost and he works a day job as well.

Seems to me that raising one or two for meat or a milk cow or two is doable on a small 10-15 acres farm without billing out for supplemental feed but it is a lot work keeping that area suitable for large animals. Water is another issue they drink A LOT from I see and hear.

This is from my observations of my neighbor and not personal experience but it has convinced me not to do it as a hobby. I will let him focus on that while I continue to garden and expand as my skills develop. I am surrounded by farms and cows so I will leave raising cattle to the experts.
Old 5 July 2019, 22:52
Been There Done That

Your local County Extension Agent can ball park for you how many head per acre are sustainable in your area.

(In NM, its how many acres per head...)
Old 6 July 2019, 00:08
Been There Done That

MP18D is in the business too. This will be interesting to follow.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 6 July 2019, 00:23
In Vino Veritas

Thank you everyone. Buying land, leasing it, then dividing it, and finally selling it appeals to me. Specially if the lease covers the note. I am a tad familiar with running a stable, which is a good way to lose money slowly from what I’ve seen. But I’m my quest to find a business that is scaleable and a little hands off I looked at cattle. I’m still interested in anyone’s in put.

I am aware of a new grazing technique where the cattle are slowly moved so that the grass they eat regrows by the time they return to the start of the pasture. You can fit more head on a given piece of land that way.
Old 6 July 2019, 06:18
Been There Done That

Done it all my life...I'll help you out all I can my man--(maybe give a look at running goats). You'd be surprised what those fuckers are bringing at the stock market these days, and you can lease them out to the city for "green cleaning"...meaning no weed eaters or harmful spray, the goats do all the work.
Old 6 July 2019, 08:34
I reckon so. . .

My County here in S.E. Ga has just implemented a program leasing goats to do the dirty work in hard to reach places.

Concur with the *w.o.r.k.* observations r/t cattle.

"they are ignorant animals that spend their days destroying the infrastructure you build to keep them alive. Fences, water lines, hay stations.."

LMAO. nailed it!
Old 6 July 2019, 08:57
Administrator

I thought all Rangers were experts in cattle...
Old 6 July 2019, 09:39
0311/8651

In 1970 I moved from the city, Overland Park, Ks to Oklahoma. I’m still trying to figure out what a hefer, heffer? That cow thing
Old 6 July 2019, 09:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Hogs, experts in hoggin...

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 6 July 2019 at 10:40.
Old 6 July 2019, 10:11
Been There Done That

Well...claymores are kinda indiscriminate when it comes to stock animals--but the hand that does the clacking, and all of the giggling lies that follows such ass-fuckery...that's another issue.
Old 6 July 2019, 10:41
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Hogs, experts in hoggin...
I am confident that was Marines......

Cows are not plant and forget (as stated) you need to manage every aspect of their lives from ensuring their birth to accurately selecting the day to die (Actually go to market). Breeding, water, chow, disease, coyotes...... You should have enough ground to put up your own hay and silage. Each phase of raising a cow is a PhD's worth of knowledge and research that is passed on from one generation to the next that you will have to learn, based on where your herd will live. You have to manage their "procreation" to prevent in breeding and promote muscle mass. You need to put both arms inside a cows vagina and pull a calf that is breech or stuck. Feeding them is another issue. They need supplements and spray to manage pests in the summer and hay and silage in the winter. If you have to buy the hay, you will go broke. Same with silage. Then after they reach a certain age, you have to wean them from momma. If you think a litter of puppies is bad, try a pasture of 50 balling calves. Then there is the equipment. Perfectly OK to buy used. You will need at least 2 80 - 100 hp tractors with front end loaders with the ability to at least move hay. If you put up your own, which is another PhD in research, you will need a mower, a rake and round baler at a minimum. If you have sick livestock, you will need square bales as well. Probably about $100k initial investment in equipment easy if you buy used, just for hay. Then add on the vet bills and as 6 gun stated, all of the shit they break. My neighbors have been doing this all their lives and they typically get an operating loan each year for app $100k - $150k to run the year, pay their bills and maybe have a bit of fun.

So in short, the answer to your question is "No".
Old 6 July 2019, 10:48
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Thank you everyone. Buying land, leasing it, then dividing it, and finally selling it appeals to me. Specially if the lease covers the note. I am a tad familiar with running a stable, which is a good way to lose money slowly from what I’ve seen. But I’m my quest to find a business that is scaleable and a little hands off I looked at cattle. I’m still interested in anyone’s in put.

I am aware of a new grazing technique where the cattle are slowly moved so that the grass they eat regrows by the time they return to the start of the pasture. You can fit more head on a given piece of land that way.
My neighbor does this. None of the other stuff I posted about goes away. You just have to move them a few times a week.

Buy the land and lease it, get all of the USDA subsidies you can (They pay you to grow grass for fuck's sake). And let a pro manage the work. Invest in someone else's cow operation. You are way too lazy to do all of this work.
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Pigs, we are experts in pigs. Marines are experts in cows, whales, buffalo, etc
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
My neighbor does this. None of the other stuff I posted about goes away. You just have to move them a few times a week.

Buy the land and lease it, get all of the USDA subsidies you can (They pay you to grow grass for fuck's sake). And let a pro manage the work. Invest in someone else's cow operation. You are way too lazy to do all of this work.
TFG, you know me only to well
Old 6 July 2019, 11:48
Never to old to learn

Quote:
TFG, you know me only to well
Watch out for Cow patties, when they are wet! Now if they are dry they make a great source for a FIRE burn great put off good heat, an best of all NO Smell
Old 6 July 2019, 12:53
0311/8651

Mingo, got in a firefight one day, dang clacking!!
Old 6 July 2019, 13:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I debated putting this in the lounge, but here it goes, who here knows about cattle? As in raising and selling them. Yes, I know there are multiple ummmm "varietals" but in the most simplest terms; you put them on land, the eat, procreate, and you eventually sell them. My biggest question is how much care do they require? Is it only at certain times of the year? Do certain breeds do better in certain areas? What huge pitfall am I not thinking about?
My old high school has Tractor Day. IE there’s enough farmer’s kids to get a gaggle of them together and all drive their tractors and 500k combines to school. I can put you in touch with an outstanding SME on cattle.

I didn’t participate in FFA but cattle is a big way of life here in Lorain County.

Last edited by 256; 6 July 2019 at 13:23. Reason: FFA part

Our new posting rules