SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 July 2019, 16:07
Confirmed User

Well, there is a nexus between Ford and Boeing...Alan Mullaly.
Old 12 July 2019, 18:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Thats what Im saying. I like GM trucks. Still costly but Im not pulling a bunch of weight that my Frontier cant handle at 6500 lbs. GM's wreck real good too. Safe truck. Any 2500 would suit my needs.

I do like the Rams...but on a real quiet night you can hear one rust.
8 years old and not a speck. And Montana ain’t shy with the corrosives in the winter.

So, no.
Old 12 July 2019, 21:03
Red Headed Stepchild

My wife bought a Ford 2005 Ford Escape hybrid brand new while I wasn’t looking, first model year for the hybrid. Bad idea for a number of reasons (since debriefed), but by far the worst vehicle I’ve ever owned, and the last Ford I’ll ever have based on their customer service with that piece of shit.

Had to have the engine rebuilt at 47k, dealer wouidn’t stipulate that was anything but completely normal. Aluminum block. Oh well, at least we paid sticker price for it.

She (I) finally traded it in on a Toyota FJ, which she loves and as far as I can tell is going to run forever.
Old 12 July 2019, 23:59
Been There Done That

Ive really ony had 1 real good Ford outta about 5. The F-150 still sells well because it has several engines to choose from. The other guys are catching up and have more options now. They're (all) making a lotta power from smaller engines. Your gonna see a lot more small turbo diesel engines and turbo charged 4 cylinders.

They do everything they can to squeak a mile and a half more a gallon from the trucks to meet government fuel standards. I had a 2010 Silverado 1500 LTZ with a 5.3L. It took 5W30 oil. I bought a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain with the same motor. It took 0W20W. They made the oil ports smaller and used a thinner oil for that extra mileage.

Karl Childers
Old 13 July 2019, 08:52
been ***** **** that

My best running Ford was back when I was married and had a good concrete business. My wife thought I would look good in this '99 f150 Lariat. It was a sharp truck, sucked as a work truck, but I mostly did flatwork and had very little weight to haul around. It had a 5.4 Triton in it, and I had absolutely no complaints with it.....the best truck I ever had though was my '69 GMC 3/4 ton, 4 on the floor. It was sweet, wish I still had it!
Old 13 July 2019, 09:34
Make a desert and call it peace.

The problem with US automotive is doubtless the same as with Boeing and other corporate whores trying to squeeze the last bit of blood from a dying child. They hire street shitters and other fraudulently credentialed("but they have MS certs!") garbage to do the work, instead of 1st world humans.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hour-engineers

The Japanese shamelessly use JAPANESE to do critical work. They use gaijin grunts to do the rote assembly crap in southern states. The irony of former "slave state" status is tasty. Of course this is relative, and a job at Subaru is certainly acceptable by the basic standards of life, but Japan is doing the premium tier work, instead of Americans. It's all relative. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 13 July 2019, 09:49
Voodoo guru

Slight hijack:
Glad to see this thread because I've been kicking around a replacement for an old faithful. I've been trying to decide between repair/replace of a current stalwart, or getting something new. You guys just removed farce, err... ford from the list.

I've an 02 Tahoe with over 250k on it. She who must be avoided ran it with low oil quite often, it still won't die (thankfully). It's still on a truck frame, and a 5.3 V8. Aside from wear and tear on the interior, this thing is still basically solid, aside from one major repair or replacement that will likely need to be addressed in the coming year. The tranny started to slip a little bit. I'm concerned about the fix because of the trash parts on the market, and getting a replacement tranny that's as reliable.

Then there is the memory of being stationed at NTC. Grunt or not, you're ass is going to pull PAC's to replace engines. And it's then that you learn that new engines can break old tranny's and vice versa. So I am pondering simply replacing the engine and tranny at the same time. Any thoughts on sourcing a reliable engine/tranny?

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 13 July 2019, 11:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Slight hijack:
Glad to see this thread because I've been kicking around a replacement for an old faithful.
I have a 2015 Chevy 2500 Duramax with 106k miles on it. Best all around vehicle that I have ever owned. It hasn't even needed break pads yet.

The emissions system needed some warranty work. Def tank heater and intake heater were replaced. I also need to replace the oil pan gasket as it has a slight leak. Overall I consider these things to be minor and I believe that this truck has many, many more miles ahead of it. The 2020 2500 looks pretty appealing though.

Last edited by Shark0311; 13 July 2019 at 11:13.
Old 13 July 2019, 12:01
Been There Done That

I've only driven one Ford I liked, not for performance or looks, but that it took a severe beating and kept going. '85 Ford Ranger with a 4 banger and manual trans. Used a quart of oil every fill up, but had 350K miles on it when it died.

I've owned several Chevys and am now in a GMC. 1st Generation Silverado LS, '00, kept it 14 years. Two '14s, one for me, High Country 4WD 6.2L and an LTZ 5.3L for the Wife. Both were destroyed by hail. We were very satisfied with both.

Wife replaced hers with a 2016 LTZ 5.3L. Essentially the same truck as before. This was a total piece of shit. Trans sucked. Performance sucked. Just upgraded her to a 2019 GMC Denali 4WD short bed with 6.2L and magnetic ride control. She loves it and plans to hold onto it until it dies. We didn't need two trucks, so I lease a BMW 540i and we trade off.

True believer that Ford stands for Found on Road Dead and Fix or Repair Daily. Plus Ford's design shop is full of homos that build ugly machines. :)
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 13 July 2019, 12:31

Jasper or Blue Print are common sources for reman engines. LS's are common as dirt. Due to the oiling system and it's cylinder deactivation features, it tends to burn oil.

We've had several customers who have replaced their Yukon/Tahoe LS's with rebuilds we've done, often upgrading to 6.0 models with a little performance boosting. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 13 July 2019, 13:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Jasper or Blue Print are common sources for reman engines. LS's are common as dirt. Due to the oiling system and it's cylinder deactivation features, it tends to burn oil.

We've had several customers who have replaced their Yukon/Tahoe LS's with rebuilds we've done, often upgrading to 6.0 models with a little performance boosting. S/F....Ken M

I like big motors and I cannot lie....hell yeah. Put a 454 in that bitch.

Choke - I gotta an old 5.7L lyiing around here somewhere. It had 243,000 on it when the transmission went tits up.

I check the blogs specific to a certain vehicle for info. You can quickly tell which ones are bs and which one has folks that know what their talking about. They can tell you what to expect at about what mileage and common issues. I got an old 05 Durango to run around my 40 mile bubble in. It has an electrical glitch that involves the transfer case. Its common and I read it first on a blog about Durangos.

Schibbs. God loves you.

Karl Childers
Old 13 July 2019, 15:25

The LS can make a lot of power. We routinely build 383-427 CI examples that make 600-750HP NA, some on pump premium. Yeah, that's solid roller lifter and no warrantee, but you get the idea.

I have had good service from Jasper, they promptly replaced a 350SBC we put into our service truck, which threw a rod because it melted a vacuum line and I was driving it down the Kennedy at 4500+rpm in 2nd gear trying to get the POS back home. No tachometer, so I guess I need the ear re-calibrated.

I have also had good service from Blue Print, they replaced a 360 SB Mopar that was clearly caused by the customer and his tuning "knowledge." It would have been perfectly acceptable to tell that guy to pound sand after running it rich as Hell, and with retarded timing, it dropped an exhaust valve and the rest were clearly not far behind.

Blue Print makes an American cast, 598" GM big block , that with a nice set of heads could easily get that Tahoe down the street quick, fast and in a hurry. S/F....Ken M

- Robert E. Lee
Old 13 July 2019, 15:29
Freelancer

Choke, drop a 3208 Cat into it.

https://youtu.be/8mz4_Lc-VMo
Old 13 July 2019, 15:45
Been There Done That

Ford has a narrow crop of very good cars & motors. Like any manufacturer its got it fails. Even the indestructible Toyota. Check out the 2013 Tacoma. Its crap.

Karl Childers
Old 13 July 2019, 15:52

My local Toyota dealer had the entire backside of the dealership, lined 3x high with crates of frame rails for Tacomas, so yeah, the Japs can get it wrong too. S/F....Ken M

- Robert E. Lee
Old 13 July 2019, 16:24
Red Headed Stepchild

In all fairness, I did have a chance to drive a Ford Flex recently as a rental.

Not sure what the reviews are like but surprisingly I was impressed. Actually liked it enough that I would maybe consider looking into getting one if it wasn't for my previous experience with Ford customer service. Well, that and the fact that it looks like the automotive equivalent of Birth Control Glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
the Japs
I believe the preferred nomenclature is "Asian Americans."
Old 13 July 2019, 17:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
...Any thoughts on sourcing a reliable engine/tranny?
Yes.

Go to your local Chev dealer parts counter and get the Performance Parts catalog. .. Look up the replacement eng & trans in there. Order and pay the dealer to install. 3 yr/36000 mile warranty, and they are good engines...
Old 14 July 2019, 08:59
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Yes.

Go to your local Chev dealer parts counter and get the Performance Parts catalog. .. Look up the replacement eng & trans in there. Order and pay the dealer to install. 3 yr/36000 mile warranty, and they are good engines...
This might be the first time I've ever been recommended to use a dealer! I kinda get it in this case. Assuming you're not being sarcastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike
Your obvious gearhead posts.
Being a gearhead, definitely interested in keeping this old tank cranking... If I take Sixgun at face value and actually use a dealer, can you recommend a go to to tweak it a bit? I'm a German car guy, and have no clue about Chevy aftermarket. This damn Tahoe has been so flawless and reliable, I haven't felt the need to tinker. But I do love working on it, because it's so easy to work on.

Old 14 July 2019, 11:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
This might be the first time I've ever been recommended to use a dealer! I kinda get it in this case. Assuming you're not being ...
I never go to a dealer - except for this... GM Performance Parts crate engines and trans combos for daily driven tahoes and suburbans... I have 3 (2 tahoe and 1 suburban ), and the factory warranty, when dealer instalked, is worth the money when I'm out of town and the bride breaks shit...

They are excellent engines, btw. Lots of weekend racers start with these engines and tweek up...

The parts guys should gove you the catalog to study and choose from.
Old 14 July 2019, 14:36
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
I never go to a dealer - except for this... GM Performance Parts crate engines and trans combos for daily driven tahoes and suburbans... I have 3 (2 tahoe and 1 suburban ), and the factory warranty, when dealer instalked, is worth the money when I'm out of town and the bride breaks shit...

They are excellent engines, btw. Lots of weekend racers start with these engines and tweek up...

The parts guys should gove you the catalog to study and choose from.
Damn! Gotta say, this is one thing that I am happy to go to the dealer for. I am absolutely going in there tomorrow. My car needn't been tweaked any further, so the timing is perfect to have some fun with the Tahoe.

Thank you for this guidance!

Our new posting rules