SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 31 July 2012, 18:56
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
so you're talking about a 'bowling ball' mortar? or maybe a grape shot?

The 'submunitions' will need to be heavy enough to flush someone out of hiding...maybe semi tractor ball bearings as grapeshot...
A Coehorn mortar?

For improvised indirect fire weapons, perhaps a look at 'barrack buster'?

Last edited by Starlight; 31 July 2012 at 19:18.
Old 7 September 2012, 09:28
Freelancer

I'm looking at a cheap way to make a Nebelwerfer.
Any Ideas on Rockets to use?

My friend has a black powder cannon.We had a bunch of super balls and made one hell of a non-lethal round.
Couldn't find a fool to stand downrange to see how it worked.
And to see if it was non-lethal.
Old 10 September 2012, 10:53
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'm looking at a cheap way to make a Nebelwerfer.
Any Ideas on Rockets to use?
Played around with model rockets and PVC pipe.
The challenge is to Ignite them all at once.

The biggest thing would be ammo in a SHTF scenario.
Old 10 September 2012, 21:40
Custom User Title

I would just ask one of the many painting crews around here made up of illegal Irish.
Old 11 September 2012, 08:45
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I would just ask one of the many painting crews around here made up of illegal Irish.
Off to Southie I go.
Old 11 September 2012, 08:52
<3>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
The always reliable old fashioned potato cannon -
x2 A plethora of tater guns can be made for a fraction of the cost of a cannon with rounds. Then again, you wouldn't want to be shooting your food supply at the enemy.

Then again, one could make some preformed plaster plugs for ammo if the weight was correct. Maybe seal up a glass vial of something nasty in the middle of the plug for good measure, perhaps a little ammonia and bleach.
Old 20 September 2012, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
x2 A plethora of tater guns can be made for a fraction of the cost of a cannon with rounds. Then again, you wouldn't want to be shooting your food supply at the enemy.

Then again, one could make some preformed plaster plugs for ammo if the weight was correct. Maybe seal up a glass vial of something nasty in the middle of the plug for good measure, perhaps a little ammonia and bleach.
In my youth I ignorantly upsized the materials on my potato cannon to C900 PVC, necked down to accept 1.5"copper as the barrel. Reinforced it heavily, used a Coleman lantern ignitor, bought little Indian rubber balls from a toy store as ammo.

We stepped it up slowly to a 1.5 second shot of oxyacetylene and it recoiled against your leg like a shotgun. Using a range finder, we were able to semi accurately strike a shipping container at 1600 ft.

I like the plaster slug with a surprise core idea. Maybe with a tannerite core, assuming the lift charge doesn't detonate it in the tube...
Old 20 September 2012, 02:55
Grumpy Bastard

Coke or beer cans full of cement work well.

So I hear...
Old 20 September 2012, 06:32
Hard to Kill

Quote:
so you're talking about a 'bowling ball' mortar? or maybe a grape shot?

The 'submunitions' will need to be heavy enough to flush someone out of hiding...maybe semi tractor ball bearings as grapeshot...
From what I have read on the Internet, Grape shot is not an indirect fire weapon. Its an indirect fire weapon, fired in the direct fire mode.
Old 20 September 2012, 08:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
From what I have read on the Internet, Grape shot is not an indirect fire weapon. Its an indirect fire weapon, fired in the direct fire mode.
You are correct in the employment mode as was the generally standard use aboard ship and in battery defenses, however I was thinking of this technique/munition in the 'sub-munition vs an area target' mode.

Instead of "It's Raining Men" the outcry would be "It's Raining Steel Balls"
Old 25 September 2012, 17:03
Confirmed User

I plan on setting cats on fire and launching them with a huge slingshot.
Old 25 September 2012, 17:49
<3>

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I've got a big bag of lighters to bring to the party.

One thought I had on the potato cannon would be to buy flechettes and make some rounds. Launch them far and high enough to pick up some velocity and you've got a nasty indirect aerial burst of anguish. The flechettes could also be soaked in some nasty bacteria. Yes, I have a theme going here.

Don't think for one second I will hesitate to go all in on the bio/chem warfare when it comes to the planet falling apart and me protecting my kids. I will go ancient Roman empire on your ass if you think you want my castle. We'll leave the light on for ya.
Old 25 September 2012, 18:49
Make a desert and call it peace.

The little fletchettes are too small for the velocities you'd be able to get from this sort of field expedient stuff. OTOH, 20-60d nails, would be large enough for direct fire.

If you plan on indirect fire, something like a "lazy dog" might be doable, if you can loft them high enough, so they get some velocity back. S/F....Ken M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Dog_(bomb)
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 26 September 2012 at 11:53.
Old 26 September 2012, 12:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
The little fletchettes are too small for the velocities you'd be able to get from this sort of field expedient stuff. OTOH, 20-60d nails, would be large enough for direct fire.

If you plan on indirect fire, something like a "lazy dog" might be doable, if you can loft them high enough, so they get some velocity back. S/F....Ken M

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Dog_(bomb)
Fixed the link for ya...

These lazy dogs could be made from rebar but really a form of grapeshot if you think about it. the fins WOULD help in geeting the 'pointy end' pointed the right direction but I think the weight alone would almost guarrantee some casualties.

Maybe 'lazy dogs' on top of fougasse...
Old 26 September 2012, 14:53
<3>

I use to have some of the lazy dogs when I was a kid, but I have no idea if they are as readily available as the flechettes. In terms of the potato launcher, you have to keep the weight of the round in consideration. Density wise you could pack more flechettes than LD's in a round, thus guaranteeing better broadcast over the target. Soaking them in the nasty means if you are scratched you are fucked, no need for a direct kill with it.

It would also make someone be very leery of what might be raining down on them and slow movement to a point you could use more effective weaponry. If you sustain long enough after the initial fighting and mayhem after an event that would require one to use weapons, i.e. the zombie apocalypse, then it would stand to reason at some point down the road a person might be down to using spears and other primitive techniques to keep danger at bay.

Don't tell anyone, but I've started raising poison dart frogs, giant centipedes, and two steps, in my basement. Come to think of it, I haven't seen my kids in a while. BRB
Old 26 September 2012, 16:56
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA
Mice, dude. Mice and rats run for the corners of places, and in the corners are stacked shit that burns. Or at least this is what I was told by a wise, grizzled NYPD detective when I used to work for an org that planned on killing people.

Now I just read internet forums and tap my feet impatiently until the release of Halo 4....
Old 27 September 2012, 10:28
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Fixed the link for ya...

These lazy dogs could be made from rebar but really a form of grapeshot if you think about it. the fins WOULD help in geeting the 'pointy end' pointed the right direction but I think the weight alone would almost guarrantee some casualties.

Maybe 'lazy dogs' on top of fougasse.
Didn't think my link was broken?

Yeah, rebar is great stuff. If you had a forge and a anvil, you could cut it into 2" or so lengths, and hammer the end square, and that should be enough drag to stabilize. Those ones in the wiki are 50cal AP cores, which used to be avail from demiled ammo; they were popular with machinists for lathe centers because they were hardened. If you have means, steel rod/pin slugs are often available as industrial surplus/scrap; that's an option too.

I guess poisoned stuff is OK based on scenario and requirements. Kinda like the 22LR for self defense thing, how fast do you need it to work, is the critical issue? Plus the "own goal" issue working with that manner of thing.

When I think of this sort of issue, I think the homebuilt black powder guys have it right.

With the easy availability of steel tubing/pipe, something like this configured as a giant shotgun/repeater long range claymore is simple and cheap. 4-5" bore diameter, 3-4' length and you have what is essentially a 12pdr napoleon, except stronger and lighter. These worked much of the slaughter of the ACW. 2.5lb charge gave a 12pd ball 1400+fps. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 28 September 2012, 06:56
Been There Done That

Another wonderful thing we have in the Armory that I work in are two Civil War Cannons. One is from B Battery RI Light Arty. They were at Gettysburg. They repelled the Charge up Cemetery Ridge. They still fire these old guns at Civil War Events. I can see it now the Homstead defended by two Cannons.... Mmmmmm, They also have some M777s here. I wonder where I can get some 155mm rounds.
Old 28 September 2012, 09:29
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
I wonder where I can get some 155mm rounds.
Impact area Ethan Allen Range in VT.

Be careful.
Old 8 October 2012, 11:54
Freelancer

Black powder mortar for you Stopp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYrMXGZhGPA

Our new posting rules