SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MEU(SOC)

Old 22 December 2008, 02:13
Confirmed User

Thanks for posting the pics. Rip Brothers
Old 26 January 2009, 00:01

...the jump was on the Alpha Shelf over SOI. Their barracks were at Camp Talega.

Thanks for the pics on the memorial. I swear it wasn't there between 97-01. We spent a lot of time all over those firebreaks. RIP Reynoso. We went all the way back to T1 together. One stellar dude. That memorial is awesome.

Google Earth Horno... you'll see how its changed. Request knowledge... was Recon Ridge shut down years back? I swear I heard a rumor about that.
Old 2 February 2009, 20:40
It wasn't me

I was back at Horno in Oct 07, but did not see this. I was on little "tour" with an old friend who is still on active duty, and I was so mesmerized at being back there that I sis not have the presence of mind to take any pictures. The last time I was there was in June 1990, but it had not changed all that much.
Old 22 February 2009, 02:13

Damn i wish i knew that was there. I made it back for a short visit about 2 months ago but didn't make it over to Horno. Just up to SOI to see the NEW Sniper School classrom, Mateo, and Pulgas (via the 5) but if I would have known that memorial was there I would have made the wife carry a big rock and I would have brought the boys up a fresh bottle or two. Hey, the wife needs to get the FULL experience of going up that hill with weight to FULLY appreciate what we did!

RIP Marines. "All Gave Some, Some Gave All"
Old 22 April 2009, 07:55
Conquer Life.

Horno Memorial trip

I will be running the LA Marathon on Memorial Day but would like to make a trip back up to the Horno memorial early June. Couple new rocks need added

If anyone wants to join, please post and then PM your contact info and we'll set dates.

I'm thinking of carrying up a ruck full of ribs on ice and beer as well....... you're more than welcome to BYOB, just remember that it's a long way back down.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 24 April 2009, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I will be running the LA Marathon on Memorial Day but would like to make a trip back up to the Horno memorial early June. Couple new rocks need added

If anyone wants to join, please post and then PM your contact info and we'll set dates.

I'm thinking of carrying up a ruck full of ribs on ice and beer as well....... you're more than welcome to BYOB, just remember that it's a long way back down.
Im in. Give me a ring.
Old 24 April 2009, 22:17
Authorized Personnel

Would you take a sick, lame, lazy (one each) from the 1st Civ Div? I will be in San Diego from June 6th to June 14th for some training and have not been back to Pendleton since I left in '94. I would love to pay my respects. PM sent.

Semper Fidelis,
Kalbo
Old 24 April 2009, 22:28
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EShepp View Post
Im in. Give me a ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Would you take a sick, lame, lazy (one each) from the 1st Civ Div? I will be in San Diego from June 6th to June 14th for some training and have not been back to Pendleton since I left in '94. I would love to pay my respects. PM sent.

Semper Fidelis,
Kalbo
Would be my pleasure to have both of you along. I will be in contact via PM.

Anyone else?

Hoping for a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. A few other guys are going as well.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo

Last edited by Balls; 24 April 2009 at 22:47.
Old 26 April 2009, 21:57
Confirmed User

Hey Dave, I'm in if you wanna go on the 30th of May. I'll be leaving Cali on the 31st so I don't have much leeway.
Old 28 April 2009, 03:44
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcannon View Post
Hey Dave, I'm in if you wanna go on the 30th of May. I'll be leaving Cali on the 31st so I don't have much leeway.
Day after Greg's wedding?... Could be interesting, but sounds good.

Unfortunately, Kalbo will not be able to go even if we do it later due to busy work schedule while he's out here.

SO.... Afternoon timeframe (flexible) of May 30th is probable. Any other takers?

Old 22 August 2009, 13:05
Conquer Life.

Short notice

Sorry for the short notice, been busy lately.

5 years ago today we were in the final push just outside the Imam Ali Mosque. Just coming to the end of a solid month of fighting in the Wadi al-Salam cemetery and surrounding city. Dondo was killed on the 25th, Skinner on the 26th. Both by snipers. Dondo was quite possibly one of the best damn TLs I've ever met. Loved by everyone and caring to a fault. Skinner was a no-shit born fighter like I have never seen before.

I'll be headed up on Sat. the 29th afternoonish with a ruck full of ice and beer and a tattered leather photo album. The Memorial is dedicated to 1MarDiv but I'd be happy to take anyone interested. Post or drop me a PM.

S/F

Old 22 August 2009, 13:19
Confirmed User

Balls,
Sorry for the loss of Dondo and Skinner. Sounds like they we're in good company.
S/F
Old 23 August 2009, 12:46
Confirmed User

I didn't know that Arredondo was your TL man, I went to SOI with him. That dude could take a fucking shitload of pain and never show it.
Rest in Peace guys.
Old 11 September 2009, 06:52

Damn, Was just there on PCS leave and didn't know about the memorial. I was at Horno 87-91. Kilo 3/1 and 1st MAR. Regt. HQ. I'll have to make the hump when I get outta the current S__Hole I'm stationed in.
RIP Brothers
Old 2 October 2009, 21:12

is touchdown still holding down the px at horno? she always reminded me of ace ventura with that crazy mop of hers.
Old 21 January 2010, 03:30

[IMG]202.jpg[/IMG]
Old 21 January 2010, 03:37

Disregard the above post. I recently visited some friends at Camp Horno and made my way up to the memorial on Mt. MotherFucker. It's a very simple memorial with a few wooden crosses. I took some pictures and will upload them when I figure out how. Touchdown is still at the PX Superj0311.
Old 21 January 2010, 12:24
SFA - A3630

This is really Mount MotherFucker? Shit, I haven't been there since 1982 and I don't remember there ever being a memorial at the top.

I'm going to have to take my sons up there with me someday, just to have that connection and memory between us in the future. I'll have to carry up a rock myself.
Old 21 January 2010, 17:10

Negative. They are two seperate memorials.
Old 6 February 2010, 05:23
Conquer Life.

Taking the Cross (Video)

Forwarded to me. Good video, I hope it stays up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg00waPvl8c

For those curious about the history:
Quote:
In 2004, five Marines and one chaplain spent two days carrying the cross to the top of the ridgeline. The enclosed picture is an eerie reminder of the famous Iwo Jima flag raising: 5 Marines and 1 Sailor hoisting a testament of our sacrifice and subsequently three of the six original bearers have lost their life in combat during that conflict. Today the Cross is surrounded by various types of memorabilia such as pictures, identification tags, plaques, and even bottles of liquor and beer cans. One can not help but feel a tangible pain when imagining the family members, friends and fellow brothers-in-arms each making their own individual trek up the mountain to memorialize their loved ones. (from i-mef website)

Our new posting rules