Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 June 2017, 14:28
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The Penguins just crushed Nashville last night, The Preds just couldn't get anything going.

I watched pretty much the whole game, and I was thinking "boy, the Penguins have really put together a couple of good shifts to start things off". They wound up stringing a couple of good early shifts in the 1st period into constantly good shifts throughout the game. I'm honestly surprised they didn't put a couple of more goals away.

So far in this series, both teams have won all their games at home, but if that holds up through a game 7, and the Penguins play the way they did last night, the Predators are finished.
Old 9 June 2017, 16:23
Confirmed User

I expected the Penguins to come out with a lot of energy last night but I was surprised at how flat the Preds were. For some reason our goaltender doesn't play worth a shit in that building.
Old 10 June 2017, 04:00
Livin' On Blues Power

Crosby using Subban's head as an accordion was funny chit.

Old 10 June 2017, 13:25
Confirmed User

My Nashville friends, who just became hockey fans, are losing their shit over it. I like PK but we all know he was preventing Crosby from moving on.

That game was brutal.

The game before, when they sounded the horn to review the goal that hadn't been called, would have freaked me out. I would have thought they were going to announce D.C. had been nuked or something. I have never seen that done.
Old 10 June 2017, 17:52

I can imagine the conversation that went on:

"Leggo my leg!"

"Leggo my head!"

"You first!"

"No! You first"

That's the edited version, it was probably a little saltier than that.
Old 11 June 2017, 20:45
Livin' On Blues Power

the best term ive ever heard for laying on a guy and using their face to get up is "lawnchaired'. Razor from Dallas said it one night as a player laid all over another guy and it was perfect. He lawnchaired em good.
Old 12 June 2017, 07:49
Problem Solver

Thumbs up

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins for winning back-to-back Stanley Cups!

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 12 June 2017, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
the best term ive ever heard for laying on a guy and using their face to get up is "lawnchaired'. Razor from Dallas said it one night as a player laid all over another guy and it was perfect. He lawnchaired em good.
Right after he gave him a face wash, I'll bet.

Well, that's that. Gotta admit, that was a savvy shot on the game winner. It was anybody's game last night, and the Penguins got some late game puck luck.

That's hockey for you. I didn't know that Pittsburgh has never clinched the Cup at home.
Old 13 June 2017, 08:35
Been There Done That

Well I'm glad its over, nice to see them go back to back again, every time they have been to the finals its been back to back only lost the one to Detroit. Yep never won one one at home, I was in Pittsburgh for game 5 last year for my daughters wedding and we were hoping they would take it then but no luck.

The commentators are already calling for them to threepete next year as most of the core team is returning but thats a tall order, hasn't happened since the 80's.

The amount of patience I have is proportionate to the number of witnesses present.
Old 13 June 2017, 16:49

If they did defy the odds and "three peat", that would more or less end any argument as to whether the Hawks or Penguins were the more dynastic team of this era.

Penguins are the team to beat now, they'll have an extra big target on their backs next year.
Old 14 June 2017, 03:23
Livin' On Blues Power

that quick whistle that cost the preds a goal was brutal. Freaking refs again, you simply cant blow the damn whistle as soon as it hits the goalie. I was hoping that wasnt going to cost them the game and it did. SMH.
Old 14 June 2017, 08:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
that quick whistle that cost the preds a goal was brutal. Freaking refs again, you simply cant blow the damn whistle as soon as it hits the goalie. I was hoping that wasnt going to cost them the game and it did. SMH.
Yep, that was a terrible call. The Preds had several opportunities after that, but in a low scoring game, that was brutal.
Old 14 June 2017, 09:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Freaking refs again, you simply cant blow the damn whistle as soon as it hits the goalie.
Agree, they blow the whistle too damn soon. They need to let the play go on and if there is an issue address it after.

The amount of patience I have is proportionate to the number of witnesses present.
Old 14 June 2017, 13:10
Been There Done That

My son went up for the parade and just sent me this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sid.jpg (39.9 KB, 44 views)

Old 14 June 2017, 13:25
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

In unintentionally went to the parade. Hockey players have HOT girlfriends.

Also, Fluery got off his truck and walked around giving hugs and taking pictures with fans.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 21 June 2017, 15:02

Marian Hossa out for the 2017-18 due to skin condition

This was big news this morning among Blackhawk fans, Hossa apparently has been suffering from this for a few years and is on medication, and attributes it to an allergic reaction to his equipment.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...-skin-disorder

Perhaps spectr can chime in on this a little, he played for a long time, including professionally on a west coast minor league team. I've heard the term "The Gunk" tossed around a little bit today, and I'm sure it's one that he's familiar with.

Any athletic locker room can become a bit of a petri dish for all sorts of crap, but because NHL players wear so much equipment, and invariably work up a pretty good sweat during both games and workouts, I'm sure it's probably at its peak in their locker rooms.

Here's a definition from a website called locker room doctor, and the various bacteria that roam the locker room have been tagged with several names, including one I am familiar with called "Creeping Crud".

http://www.lockerroomdoctor.com/the-...t-oozing-rash/

Wish Hossa well, one of my favorite players. I would not be surprised if at some point down the line, after he's spent next year on IR, that he decides to hang up his skates and retire.
Old 23 June 2017, 04:34
Livin' On Blues Power

Poor Hossa, thats some bad stuff. We called it the creepin crud. Unlike athletes foots where that just scales up and you look like a lizard that shit itched bad like poison ivy and oozed pus. We figured it was from the equipment since our gear hardly ever dried out during the season. I was highly allergic to poison ivy as a kid so i wouldnt dress next to the poor guys who had it just in case it was poison ivy. I never knew they tied it to formaldehyde in the gear, makes sense now. They sure did stink up the locker room and trainer room with all the lotions and crap they put on it. Some of em got a lot of shots, i had to get shots when i got bad poison ivy. Cortisone I think it was.

Some guys blamed it on nerves, the yips as some called it. Blues goalie Glenn hall used to throw up before every game but he did fine once he hit the ice. I watched 3 stooges shorts to calm my ass down.
Old 23 June 2017, 15:13

Tom Reid, who had a pretty long career and played for both the Hawks and the North Stars, was forced to retire because of a similar condition.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...621-story.html

He was interviewed quite a bit the day of Hossa's announcement, the way he described it was a rash that would grow, spread and then develop into a bloody, pussy mess. That just sounds nasty.

Hossa has been dealing with it for a couple of years, and still continued to play at a high level. Pretty amazing, it must have totally sucked. Hopefully the NHL won't give him or the Hawks any static about going on Long Term IR. Fact is, Hossa would prefer to keep playing.

And in other hockey news, the NHL draft starts today in Chicago, and while that is going on Stan Bowman performing his annual Cap dance, wheeling and dealing players while trying to build a competitive team.

First up was Niklas Hjalmarsson, perhaps the best shot blocking defenseman in the NHL, is going to the Coyotes, not really a surprise as he was mentioned as a trade prospect.

What I didn't see coming was Artemi Panerin going to the Bluejackets for Brandon Saad. I don't see how that helps as far as cap space goes, but who cares?

Saad is back! I consider him a better all around player than Panerin, although I hate to see Panerin go, Him and Kane really connected on their line.

Our new posting rules