SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 23 January 2017, 17:26
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Worked great. Plus, I have never had a firearm so minty fresh.

Meant to ask earlier...how does the EWG grease do in the cold?
How did it shoot?
Old 24 January 2017, 05:09
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
How did it shoot?
I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't had it to the range yet. Plenty of excuses but I'm hoping to shoot it in the next couple days.
Old 30 January 2017, 21:50
Bitter old man.

Anyone had a chance to try one of these out? IMO the recoil spring weight is light at 18lbs. Delta Elites are usually 23lbs from the factory.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/super-jagare
Old 30 January 2017, 22:48
The Sagacious One

Heavier slide, ports and the sight?
Old 30 January 2017, 23:22
Make a desert and call it peace.

Compensated guns need less spring. IDK if that Kimber has enough compensation to roll with a 18lb spring, but I ASSume it had some engineering put into it. S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 31 January 2017, 08:57
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Compensated guns need less spring. IDK if that Kimber has enough compensation to roll with a 18lb spring, but I ASSume it had some engineering put into it. S/F...Ken M
I agree on the engineering part.

From my experience with my G20C I found the stock spring ok for light to medium. I did get it to cycle with Underwood but not consistent. 20lbs with the comp barrel is the sweet spot on that weapon.

Be curious if they have a shock buffer or something else to prevent the frame from getting beat. In my Delta I switched to a #24 flatwire spring from Wilson and I run it with a shock buffer. Runs very reliable with low to middle loads.

I Assume since that Kimber is a Hunting weapon they tested it with loads on the hotter side of things.
Old 31 January 2017, 15:54
The Sagacious One

My Kimber 10mm has the factory spring and it has held true to date. I do not believe that I have put any Nuke loads through it, but I have a big knife to offset my small.... hands.
Old 6 February 2017, 02:16
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
How did it shoot?
Got to the range today...finally

Colgate treatment: check
EWG: check
EW: check (5 degrees today at the range)

First three out:

The left was all me, and it was all fucking day too. Insert maybe you should get to the range more comment here.

My slightly more dialed in shooting partner:

I ran about a hundred rounds through it, then swapped in the Wilson flat spring. Not sure if it was my imagination but the recoil impulse seemed noticeably smoother. I'm not a good enough pistol guy to describe accurately, but I like it.

Given the previous SIG QC discussion, I was fully prepared for this to be a good looking turd, but honestly, I dig it. It will be seeing a lot more range time, soon.

Thanks GPC and TFG for all the gouge.
Old 7 February 2017, 10:23
Bitter old man.

Hawk, great to hear it worked for you. Glad you like the flatwire set-up.

Looks like Colt is really trying to get some of the market back. New for 2017 Delta Elite rail gun.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Delta-Elite
Old 7 February 2017, 10:25
Been There Done That

^Yep, those Wilson Flat Wire Recoil springs make a big difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 February 2017, 10:36
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
My Kimber 10mm has the factory spring and it has held true to date. I do not believe that I have put any Nuke loads through it, but I have a big knife to offset my small.... hands.
Does yours have a ramped barrel or is it traditional like the Delta Elite?
Old 8 February 2017, 22:10
The Sagacious One

I think its ramped. It does not have any issues with smiles like the DE.
Old 9 February 2017, 06:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Well, it finally showed up. Looks pretty good at first glance, no vertical slide travel etc. I'll report back after I get it to the range and after I drop a wilson flat spring in it.

Have to admit I like the way they look.

Not sure how I missed this. That's pretty nice...can I have it?
Old 9 February 2017, 07:25
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotor Strike please View Post
Not sure how I missed this. That's pretty nice...can I have it?
...yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTtp...8&spfreload=10
Old 10 February 2017, 11:47
A lost ball in high weeds

This is a pic of my Colt pre-series 70 1911 that I bought in the PX back before the '68 GCA went in to effect. The bottom is my son's West Point class pistol.

Old 12 February 2017, 12:15
Confirmed User

Treading lightly here-- my knowledge of 1911's is infantile but I truly value the knowledge shared on this forum as well as your opinions. I'm seeking input/opinion between purchasing a Kimber Custom TLE/II or a SIG Scorpion.
Background:I bought my first 1911 from a friend last summer for something to keep in the truck (Citadel/Armscor) and grew to love shooting it. Yesterday I was ready to upgrade to a Kimber Custom TLE/II, and the dealer tried to steer me toward the SIG (what he carries). I had both weapons side by side on the counter, and played 20 question with him, then came home and did research (if he'd have kept his mouth shut he would have had a sale).

There are a few discussion boards dedicated to my question and many recommended the SIG over the Kimber mainly due to reliability, beveled mag well, grip etc. I've owned a P229 and sold it after numerous FTE/FTF occurrences using different ammo/mags, etc., so my nose is crinkled. Yup, I know I'm in a low percentile group.

If it boils down to Ford/Chevy debate (whatever you like best, dickhead) then I'll quietly fuck off. Any input is much appreciated!

Last edited by RN47; 12 February 2017 at 12:21.
Old 12 February 2017, 12:31
Unemployed Stunt Double

Both SIG and Kimber are pretty much equal in their lousy attention to detail and QC, owing to the fact that the same clown that ruined Kimber went to work at SIG. If you are looking to purchase an overpriced headache, you can't go wrong with either brand. Both make a fine first 1911, as you have the potential to learn a lot about corrective gunsmithing and parts replacement.
Old 12 February 2017, 12:32
Been There Done That

About 90% of all the bad things I hear about Kimber comes from people who have never owned one. Like every other manufacturer, not all of their products are perfect. Ive owned two Kimbers. I still have the second one, but sold the first one. Both of them have been fantastic guns and I would not hesitate to buy another. The only complaint that I have is the finish on them will wear down pretty easily if its in and out of a holster on a regular basis. Another thing that people will bring up is MIM parts. People talk about how bad they are, but in reality there is nothing wrong with it, and almost all manufacturers use them.

Ive only shot one sig 1911 and it was nice, so Im not saying you should buy one or the other, but I would have no problem buying another Kimber. If I ever do buy another 1911 that is not an Ed Brown, Wilson, etc, it will quite possibly be a Kimber.
Old 12 February 2017, 13:25
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Both SIG and Kimber are pretty much equal in their lousy attention to detail and QC, owing to the fact that the same clown that ruined Kimber went to work at SIG. If you are looking to purchase an overpriced headache, you can't go wrong with either brand. Both make a fine first 1911, as you have the potential to learn a lot about corrective gunsmithing and parts replacement.
Agreed. I have owned 4 Kimbers, of which 3 were traded in on the aforementioned reasons (QC). The one I did keep was stolen.

Spend the same amount on a Springfield TRP, and be happy.
Old 12 February 2017, 17:39
Bitter old man.

RN, I concur with Gavin had two Kimbers of the CDP series and sold them due to unreliability.

SIG 1911 slides come in two sizes FYI that might limit holster selection.

I don't know if a rail is important or not? I would suggest the SA Range Officer operator or a Colt Rail Gun both can be had for around or under $1k in my area. The Colt has a true 1913 rail and is a well made weapon. The 80 Series trigger is not that bad once you shoot it some. I have over 1.5k through a new Delta Elite and I trust my life to it. Only mod was a flat wire recoil spring from Wilson Combat.

TFG likes Kimbers I'm sure he will be along to chime in to help you make an informed purchase.

Our new posting rules