SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 9 February 2020, 19:24
Rocket Surgeon

Chubs,

Unfortunately, State Patrol agencies (as opposed to State Police agencies) are pretty tough on retention and breed complacency. My State Patrol agency in my home state is underpaid, traffic-only, and has super-limited auxiliary assignments "SWAT" (giggle), Traffic Homicide, Auto Theft, DL Fraud, and one slot per region on task forces like JTTF, DEA, and ICE (those guys never leave).

Changing agencies, if you can do so within your retirement/benefits program, may be beneficial to you long term. SBI, for example, in your state might be a decent move for job satisfaction. You can always go fed if you meet their requirements and are down with a mobility agreement.

I don't know a single person who went long-term in a State Patrol agency who was satisfied, unless they were a traffic nazi...in which case we aren't friends to begin with.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 9 February 2020, 21:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
...Unfortunately, State Patrol agencies...breed complacency...
For example, like putting a violator in the front seat, next to them, not to mention not having patted them down.

(Well, nobody does THAT any more, but some did years ago!)
Old 9 February 2020, 21:36
Renuo Victima Esse

Time and experience breeds complacency. I know it sounds odd, but it does. The more experience one develops, the more things become "routine" which is a silent killer. Never get the "old guy" syndrome where you always feel that you have "been there done that." It will get you hurt or worse because you have become "comfortable" in handling things and tend to lose your edge. Always be the "new" guy and keep learning. Never stop trying to learn new things -- not only job related, but hobby or life related as well. Keep you mind sharp and the rest will follow.
Old 9 February 2020, 21:48
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
For example, like putting a violator in the front seat, next to them, not to mention not having patted them down.

(Well, nobody does THAT any more, but some did years ago!)
There are agencies that still do that shit. I begrudgingly put cops in my front seat, let alone a violator.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 10 February 2020, 01:01
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Time and experience breeds complacency. I know it sounds odd, but it does. The more experience one develops, the more things become "routine" which is a silent killer. Never get the "old guy" syndrome where you always feel that you have "been there done that." It will get you hurt or worse because you have become "comfortable" in handling things and tend to lose your edge. Always be the "new" guy and keep learning. Never stop trying to learn new things -- not only job related, but hobby or life related as well. Keep you mind sharp and the rest will follow.
I know the EXCATE situation you are talking about and I don’t envy you in the least.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 10 February 2020, 01:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp View Post
....The crappy part is that the administration of the school is fucking retarded and cares more about feelings and their reviews than discipline and education.
Educators, especially administrators, and petty and generally shitheads. My wife has been a school shrink for 25+ years and we have yet to meet a school administrator that was was worth his/her salt and was not a self-serving soul.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 10 February 2020, 06:39
These ain't my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
Chubs,

Unfortunately, State Patrol agencies (as opposed to State Police agencies) are pretty tough on retention and breed complacency. My State Patrol agency in my home state is underpaid, traffic-only, and has super-limited auxiliary assignments "SWAT" (giggle), Traffic Homicide, Auto Theft, DL Fraud, and one slot per region on task forces like JTTF, DEA, and ICE (those guys never leave).

Changing agencies, if you can do so within your retirement/benefits program, may be beneficial to you long term. SBI, for example, in your state might be a decent move for job satisfaction. You can always go fed if you meet their requirements and are down with a mobility agreement.

You hit the nail on the head. You’re absolutely right on your assessment. Everyone I know that retires from here does so bitter and burnt out. There’s a myriad of reasons but you touched on many. I don’t want to be that guy. I’m currently in the fed process, so we will see.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 10 February 2020, 06:40
These ain't my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
There are agencies that still do that shit. I begrudgingly put cops in my front seat, let alone a violator.
We still do. Everything single individual goes up front with me.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 10 February 2020, 10:18
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
Biggest thing I miss about the gang unit is having a tight knit group of guys out working together towards a very tangible outcome.
This is the first thing I talk to transitioning vets about. You need a source of brotherhood, regardless of your occupation. Sadly, you need it the rest of your life.

I think this complacency hits us all, I have been through it several times. You bust your ass, put yourself at risk and it seems like it doesn't matter. Clients bitch and moan about getting a product and then never read it. Even worse, you make your recommendations and they decide to save the money and then shit goes sideways and someone dies. I find that changing activities, different projects for a while help recalibrate why you do what you do.
Old 10 February 2020, 11:06
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
I hate to say it then, but you need to promote up. You can make a difference as a Patrol Sergeant, sure you'll have to spend time on a desk as the junior Sgt or perform the many duties of a junior Sgt, but that happens in every organization. Eventually you could be a or The Senior Sgt calling the shots at your station/assignment and still get out behind the desk to do police work.

I personally think the best rank is the Sergeant (more stability, continuity, etc)...buffer between the Officers and Management.
A friend of mine made it to assistant chief of TPD and commanded every division in the department. He recently retired after 25-years and I asked him if he missed it. His response was he missed working the streets, not the last dozen years of working the desk.
Old 10 February 2020, 20:40
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I find that changing activities, different projects for a while help recalibrate why you do what you do.
This. I type that as I'm waiting on my transfer date to another unit...because it was time.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 10 February 2020, 21:09
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
We still do. Everything single individual goes up front with me.
OHP does it too. Freaked me out the first time they pulled me over.
Old 11 February 2020, 01:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Everyone I know that retires from here does so bitter and burnt out.
This is one of the reasons I left a little early. Once people cross a certain point, 25 years in my opinion, they get paranoid, and stressed. Not sure why, and I maybe just misread it, but it’s just my experience.

If you love it, and are contributing, and pulling your weight, then stay for 40 years.
Old 11 February 2020, 07:32
These ain't my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I find that changing activities, different projects for a while help recalibrate why you do what you do.
That’s certainly something I’ve tried to do outside of work, but something I can certainly do a better job of implementing within as well. I’ve tried my best, at least as of late, to broaden my level of experience into many more things and some that I’ve never touched on before. I don’t want to reach the point where this career becomes WHO I am. It’s something I do, and hopefully have done well, but I don’t want to reach the end believing that years of disenfranchisement and cynicism were the pinnacle of my existence.

Old 11 February 2020, 17:56
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
This is one of the reasons I left a little early. Once people cross a certain point, 25 years in my opinion, they get paranoid, and stressed. Not sure why, and I maybe just misread it, but it’s just my experience.
I beat the system by starting out paranoid.
Old 12 February 2020, 10:05
Hard to Kill

Quote:
That’s certainly something I’ve tried to do outside of work, but something I can certainly do a better job of implementing within as well. I’ve tried my best, at least as of late, to broaden my level of experience into many more things and some that I’ve never touched on before. I don’t want to reach the point where this career becomes WHO I am. It’s something I do, and hopefully have done well, but I don’t want to reach the end believing that years of disenfranchisement and cynicism were the pinnacle of my existence.
I think you have to pick your own victories. It may at times seem like picking peanuts out of shit, but if you don't, all you ever see is the shit.
Old 14 February 2020, 17:47
0311/8651

Lost a female Canadian County deputy today, vehicle wreck in Okc.
Old 21 February 2020, 08:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
I wish moving to different sections was as easy as some of y’alls agencies. It took me 2.5 years to get out of patrol only to be detailed back to patrol after two weeks.

Yeah I’m wondering how they do it without mentioning politics/calling in your “quarter” or “Rabbi”.
Old 21 February 2020, 19:36
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatMedic1981 View Post
Yeah I’m wondering how they do it without mentioning politics/calling in your “quarter” or “Rabbi”.
Yup, that's called politics and that happens in every organization. I've suffered from it and benefited from it, it all comes out in the wash and this is coming from a LE/Military point of view.
Old 27 February 2020, 14:38
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatMedic1981 View Post
Some of it comes down to agency culture and structure. My agency is pretty big, and there's a lot of movement potential within. That certainly helps, and was a big part of why I selected it as the place I wanted to work.

I've never had to play politics to get the spot I want. Alleged meritocracy-based selection helps with that. But so does work ethic, teamwork, and not giving a shit if I'm liked or not at the water cooler. Actual quote the other day in the office: "He's an asshole, but thank God he's OUR asshole".

Bottom line: I wake up every morning with enough friends. I don't go to work to make them. I go to work to work, and then I go live my life. The two aren't super intertwined at this point in my life...that's actually been a big help to me in taking my career exactly where I wanted it to go.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench

Our new posting rules