SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Diving

Old 22 September 2018, 01:10
Confirmed User

Underwater tourniquet

In the last month, I have seen two companies share videos of timed drills of submerged divers applying tourniquets to themselves. Both videos are of divers in recreational gear configurations. Single tanks, no pony, no surface supply, no full face mask or helmet, wetsuits, etc. I mention this because there is no implication they are combat divers, commercial divers, or public safety divers.

My question for the experts here is this: how many times in your diving life would you say a tourniquet underwater was more appropriate than getting out of the water and getting medical care?
Old 22 September 2018, 01:17
Unemployed Stunt Double

From a medical standpoint, if you really need a tourniquet, you need a tourniquet right now. If you have time to exit the water and seek medical help without bleeding out in the process, you didn't need a tourniquet.
Old 22 September 2018, 02:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverescue View Post
In the last month, I have seen two companies share videos of timed drills of submerged divers applying tourniquets to themselves. Both videos are of divers in recreational gear configurations. Single tanks, no pony, no surface supply, no full face mask or helmet, wetsuits, etc. I mention this because there is no implication they are combat divers, commercial divers, or public safety divers.

My question for the experts here is this: how many times in your diving life would you say a tourniquet underwater was more appropriate than getting out of the water and getting medical care?
Dependent on depth and bottom time. If your 90 ft down and have to decompress on the way up with massive hemmoraging from a shark/moray/coral then the TQ can buy you that time rather than create other life threatening problems from not decompressing. Additionally, if youíre 500m from the shore or boat (for example) then again the TQ would buy you time even if it happened at the surface.

They weigh very little, especially underwater. No excuse not to have one in a BCD pocket.
Old 22 September 2018, 22:46
Been There Done That

Great points. Something never really carried when was diving, but makes great sense to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22 September 2018, 23:48
Confirmed User

I appreciate your insights gentlemen.
Old 23 September 2018, 08:12
The Sagacious One

I have never been in a situation in the water where if I needed a TQ that getting out of the water was an option vs applying the TQ. Other maybe bigger issues involve how do you get to shore without the use of let's say a leg. You might be able to anticipate such an injury during your dive planning and carry one. I have never read of anyone carrying one during a dive, at least one that was readily available during the infiltration.

As much as it pains me to say, I agree with gavin , if you need a TQ, you need it regardless of the environment.
Old 23 September 2018, 10:22
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
As much as it pains me to say, I agree with gavin...
A broken clock is right twice a day, right?
Old 23 September 2018, 10:40
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
A broken clock is right twice a day, right?
Take your victory Brother.
Old 23 September 2018, 10:50
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Take your victory Brother.
Oh, I have several victories a day in your AOR...every time you stare wistfully at your yard, and ponder if you need a bigger shovel...
Old 23 September 2018, 12:23
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Oh, I have several victories a day in your AOR...every time you stare wistfully at your yard, and ponder if you need a bigger shovel...
Maybe just better friends????????
Old 23 September 2018, 12:29
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Maybe just better friends????????
A man's got to know his limitations.
Old 23 September 2018, 15:25
Never to old to learn

Icon5

Quote:
A man's got to know his limitations.
OK what are yours (limitations) Now the truth an nothing BUT the Truth, so help you God?
Old 23 September 2018, 15:36
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
OK what are yours (limitations) Now the truth an nothing BUT the Truth, so help you God?
Tolerance.
Old 23 September 2018, 19:13
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Thinking out loud....if you're having a major bleed in the water, and don't have time/ability to get out of the water, then I would think you may as well write "shark food" on your forehead than apply a TQ.
Old 23 September 2018, 20:09
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
Thinking out loud....if you're having a major bleed in the water, and don't have time/ability to get out of the water, then I would think you may as well write "shark food" on your forehead than apply a TQ.
Or just put on a TQ and start finning...make the shark work for a meal.
Old 23 September 2018, 20:58
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Or just put on a TQ and start finning...make the shark work for a meal.
Or slice your swim buddy and swim faster than him?
Old 24 September 2018, 02:46
Anesthetized User

I donít have to be fast.

I just have to be faster than you.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 25 September 2018, 23:48
Spice Weasel

It's a 47 ninja problem, IMHO--a situation you imagine by suspending reason and probability in an effort to create a impossible problem.

1. The majority of sea life can't fuck you up badly enough to require a TQ. Sharks maybe, but the empirical research on them indicates they study humans before biting, and if your SA is so lacking that you don't notice a shark eyebanging you, you shouldn't be in the water. And only one diver fatality from a shark attack occurred in 2017, so probably not very likely to happen. Humboldt squid are a possibility, but if you're diving with them you signed a waiver and stupidly agreed to be bait on a chain in blue water so that you can see them.

2. Most diving environments don't cause the kind of injuries where a TQ is needed. If you want to dry hump a coral head until your femorals are cut, I suppose that's a case where it could happen. I suppose it could happen in wrecks, too, but I think that would involve something falling on you or slamming on you, and that is most likely a serious problem by itself.

3. Boat props are a likely cause of a TQ-worth injury, but that's a surface injury. Spearguns/punctures are also possible, but punctures generally don't require a TQ unless a big artery got nicked and the puncture is pretty big.

4. Self-applied TQs are unrealistic. No shit, there you are, underwater with 40 pounds of unwieldy kit, an exposure suit, and a massive wound quickly bleeding out, dropping your core temperature, and pushing you into shock while a cloud of blood rapidly surrounds you. But never fear, you are IuseaTQforacockringbecauseImsuchabadassdiver, so you didn't spit out your regulator while screaming in pain and panic, and you suppressed the entirely reasonable urge to un-ass the water so you could address the problem at depth and show off your skills. Oh, and you're possibly wearing 5mm neoprene gloves which kill your tactile abilities and manual dexterity. You calmly reach into your BCD pocket for your handy TQ, find nothing, realize you still have it on your dick because you had an orgy with all the Sweden Air stewardesses on the island before the dive, remove it from your dick, and expertly place it around the extremity and coolly exit the water. Right. You're probably fucked up and fighting to stay conscious if you have a life-threatening injury underwater.

I express no opinion concerning combat diver use of TQs. I can imagine one-and-a-half ninja-type problems arising in combat.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36

Last edited by Azatty; 25 September 2018 at 23:54.
Old 25 September 2018, 23:59
Confirmed User

Azatty, I love the term “47 ninja problem”. I’ll be borrowing that.

Your thoughts are inline with what was in my head, possibly more colorful, when I posted here.

In about 25 years of diving, including salvage, search, rescue, recovery, spearfishing, etc. I haven’t come across an injury that would have benefited from a tourniquet that wasn’t a direct result of an act of violence. In that case, the victim was underwater long enough that bleeding was no longer an issue.
Old 26 September 2018, 08:25
The Sagacious One

Why 47?

Our new posting rules