SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 18 September 2018, 08:48
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
What are you trying to hide?
Everything - I'm an American with 4th Amendment protection. And that doesn't even account for the biggest spies in the country - Private businesses - blinding your ISP should be job #1.

(I assume your post was tounge in cheek)

Last edited by Polypro; 18 September 2018 at 09:00.
Old 18 September 2018, 14:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
It has nothing to do with the type of weird LEGAL “stuff” I may or may not browse, every once in a while..
LOL
Old 18 September 2018, 14:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
(I assume your post was tounge in cheek)
Yes. Yes it was.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:30
Been There Done That

I have Mullvad, Proton, and PIA. I've had issues with different VPN's working less reliably in different places so I just keep the subscriptions going. The thing I like best about PIA is the kill switch option. I can turn on the kill switch that will stop my internet connection if there is a problem with the VPN. Before this was released you could potentially think the VPN was running and it may have dropped out on you. Now you don't really have to check it once you connect.
Old 22 September 2018, 08:27
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
I have Mullvad, Proton, and PIA. I've had issues with different VPN's working less reliably in different places so I just keep the subscriptions going. The thing I like best about PIA is the kill switch option. I can turn on the kill switch that will stop my internet connection if there is a problem with the VPN. Before this was released you could potentially think the VPN was running and it may have dropped out on you. Now you don't really have to check it once you connect.
Proton has this as well, and AirVPN does. I'm sure most of the providers that also make a client, have that option by now. On Android, the OS offers the option in the VPN settings, and if rooted, AFWall (IP Tables) can be configured.

*BUT* - if it really matters, NEVER rely on VPN software - always configure your host based firewall to only allow VPN traffic. And if at home - you can get a second router/access point that only connects to a VPN, and go through that. DD-WRT was great for that, but I'm sure most firmwares allow that now-a-days.
Old 24 September 2018, 10:40
Confirmed User

How does using a VPN stop Google, Bing or any other search engine from logging your searches and connecting it to you? Since the sites are using cookies and you have saved password and search data when you browse, does that mean you'd have to not use your old email and change browsers?
Old 24 September 2018, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
How does using a VPN stop Google, Bing or any other search engine from logging your searches and connecting it to you?

I use DuckDuckGo or StartPage, neither of which record and log any personal information.

I also use Bitdefender Total Securith and Bitdefender VPN both of which can be had at the right time for as low as $29.95 to $39.95. Bitdefender has been, if not the top rated, one of the top security solutions for the last 8 years or so.

Noah W
Old 24 September 2018, 13:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Werka View Post
I use DuckDuckGo or StartPage, neither of which record and log any personal information.

I also use Bitdefender Total Securith and Bitdefender VPN both of which can be had at the right time for as low as $29.95 to $39.95. Bitdefender has been, if not the top rated, one of the top security solutions for the last 8 years or so.

Noah W
AV is a lie. I wouldn't waste my money. Better off keeping your system up to date and using a app firewall. Spend the money on buying more useful things, based on your level of comfort in setting up and configuring things.
Old 24 September 2018, 13:18
Confirmed User

Ok, so I'm on Proton, go through duck go, and all the history and cookies etc have been deleted from Chrome, all except the 180+ passwords saved.

Is there any way these passwords saved could give away your location info, allow to be tracked etc. other than the obvious buying things online through sites that already have password and credit card data saved? For instance, logging into my bank I got the alert to have a text sent because I was on a "new device", but what about going on Amazon or a sporting goods store the same way?

Duck DuckGo and startpage say they strip cookies, so all should be good correct?
Old 24 September 2018, 14:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
How does using a VPN stop Google, Bing or any other search engine from logging your searches and connecting it to you? Since the sites are using cookies and you have saved password and search data when you browse, does that mean you'd have to not use your old email and change browsers?
There's a lot of fairly simple ways to resolve your problem.

I primarily use throwaway accounts. Used to use Google until I discovered Protonmail a few years back, thanks to someone here.

Since then, I have a throwaway google account and a series of PM accounts. Nobody forces you to use the same email account in perpetuity, so changing it up as often as you want is up to you.

The searches linked to that account (if you're using a VPN and routinely changing your access) would only be linked to that particular connected email account. So if you change it every year, the last year's data is essentially worthless.

Also, as Noah mentioned, using DuckDuckGo helps, if you're seriously concerned about your search history.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 24 September 2018, 14:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
Before this was released you could potentially think the VPN was running and it may have dropped out on you. Now you don't really have to check it once you connect.
This is my biggest beef with Mullvad, but not big enough to change to another yet - if it drops out on you your normal ISP could ping you back into the site without your realizing you aren't in via VPN.
Old 24 September 2018, 15:19
Confirmed User

I should mention, I've been watching the KimDotcom doc. on Hulu, and reading through some of these threads lately.

There's a lot of "Enemy of the State" going on that I knew about but never really cared. Otherwise, I don't think I'd ever be interested in VPN.
Old 24 September 2018, 17:52
BTDT

Quote:
How does using a VPN stop Google, Bing or any other search engine from logging your searches and connecting it to you? Since the sites are using cookies and you have saved password and search data when you browse, does that mean you'd have to not use your old email and change browsers? Ok, so I'm on Proton, go through duck go, and all the history and cookies etc have been deleted from Chrome, all except the 180+ passwords saved.

Is there any way these passwords saved could give away your location info, allow to be tracked etc. other than the obvious buying things online through sites that already have password and credit card data saved? For instance, logging into my bank I got the alert to have a text sent because I was on a "new device", but what about going on Amazon or a sporting goods store the same way?

Duck DuckGo and startpage say they strip cookies, so all should be good correct?
Edit/Delete Message
Anonymity/Privacy is such a complicated topic, that the experts still learn something new every day. You just have to start reading, reading, reading...

You deleted the cookie your bank set - that's why they saw you as a new device - that's it.

The VPN's primary job in an anon/priv scenario, and not a security on public wi-fi one, is to blind whatever ISP is providing the connectivity to you. The first thing that will happen if you get falsely accused of something - is your internet history will get pulled from your ISP. After that it's to keep your location hidden from the sites your visiting (and any snoops along the way).

Obviously if you go to places your "known" - correlation can occur. I'd recommend connecting to one of the same US Servers all the time, and to do all your "known" business, and then connect to whatever other country to do your surfing. You *do not* want to try to log into your bank, etc... from Singapore - you'll probably trip a security block and have to deal with that headache.

As far as browsers go - they giveaway a lot unless you lock them down with add-ons, extensions, etc... BUT they aren't giving up your passwords. You generally want the most out of the box browser to lower your fingerprint uniqueness. Firefox with Ublock Origen and Cookie Auto Delete is pretty user friendly - NoScript is the king, but you'll have to tweak it. Brave browser is a privacy centric Chromium based browser. Look through your browsers add-ons section using "privacy" as the search term and see what you think will help.
Old 24 September 2018, 18:03
Navigating

Thanks for all the info, I went with Freedome. I’m going to just run it on my phone for now, I use it more than anaything else.

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 25 September 2018, 12:18
BTDT

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, I went with Freedome. I’m going to just run it on my phone for now, I use it more than anaything else.
Let us know how the speeds are, and on what servers. I'm pretty impressed with the stability and speed of Proton's US servers. Only rarely does the connection hang, where I have to just dis - and then re- connect (1 second), and the speed is good. Using testmy.net, I get 150Mbs on my naked connection, and 80Mbs through the closest VPN server to me - pretty sweet.
Old 25 September 2018, 13:19
Confirmed User

Thanks PP. I'm now on Proton, using mail and VPN, searching with brave out of the Chicago area.

I'm not worrying that someday all the random shit I like to read about and look at on the internet will get me scrutinized.

I'm not concerned about a warrant or the NSA because I'll never be a criminal. I do feel a little refreshed knowing I CAN search with privacy.
Old 25 September 2018, 17:39
Policeman Officer

Wonder which one Johan uses?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 25 September 2018, 17:50
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Wonder which one Johan uses?
You mean Paul85?
Old 25 September 2018, 18:21
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Nothing to see here, move along. Plausible deniability, brother.

Awesome info, thanks Poly. Gotta do some heavy research, limited knownledge of all this cyber security information. Really appreciate it.

Poly or CV will correct me if I'm off, but to me...a VPN is like an envelope...it conceals the content of the letter; whereas no VPN is like writing a postcard, anyone can read the contents. So, if you don't want anyone/everyone with a mind to do so (and there are many bored kids out there and those with more nefarious purposes) to read your stuff, then use a VPN. Consider that using open wifi in a hotel, public wifi spot, airport, etc is akin to walking up and down Bragg boulevard openly wearing a Rolex.........if nothing else, absolutely do not check any financial accounts, or other sensitive accounts without using a VPN when on public wifi.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 25 September 2018, 19:41
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
You mean Paul85?
I typed the wrong thing.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules