Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 29 August 2017, 22:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
There's a shit load of looting going on. Maybe not Katrina level though. Rescue boats are being shot at. People are being "rescued" by pieces of shit.......and then the "rescue" crew comes back to rob their now unoccupied house. Other boat crews had people feign needing help.......only to have those people try to board their boats and steal them. Stores are being broken into and TV being stolen. There's lots of info should one deign to google.
The rescue boats are shooting back. Warms my heart. Someone tried cranking rounds off at the "cajun navy". It has "cajun" right there front in center, why would one think it wise to shoot?
Old 29 August 2017, 22:25
Confirmed User

God I love my home state...........
Old 30 August 2017, 00:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
We have some friends in Pearland that we're been checking in on since the storm hit land. They are doing OK, hope all the SOCNETers are as well.

I have friends in Pearland, some parts are under water manly streets an a few low areas. They told me the water was up over the sidewalk. But houses in there area are built higher up about 5 to 6 feet.
Old 30 August 2017, 00:19
Confirmed User

On another sad note A LEO going to work last night got caught in a flash flood an droned, He was 60 years old an had over 30 years as a LEO, from the news info I have read.

RIP
Old 30 August 2017, 01:04
Very Deplorable

Thanks folks. Will reach out if needed. Currently about 3 hours from the AO.
Old 30 August 2017, 11:30

I live is NW Houston right near White Oak Bayou but never flooded. I have a rental house on the east side in a neighborhood that was mandatory evacuated hopefully itís dry also, the house has never flooded 20 years. Feeling pretty could about my communityís response. People are banding together on Facebook to help each other. The app Zello is being used heavily to coordinate with groups and resources which is a good think. My coworker knows of two people with boats that came to Houston. One of them couldnít get anywhere useful the other ended up rescuing other boaters that where lost or out of fuel. If you know anyone heading down Iím told Zello channel Houston Search and Rescue, VV friends and Cajun Navy is who you want to coordinate with.
Felt good being somewhat prepared for this. I already food, water, and a regenerator. I still picked up odds and ends but I wasnít part of the masses scrambling to buy supplies before and after the storm.
Old 30 August 2017, 15:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Thanks folks. Will reach out if needed. Currently about 3 hours from the AO.
What area will you be working in?
Old 30 August 2017, 16:03
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The rainfall totals are staggering, broke the record set by tropical storm Amelia almost 40 years ago. This is a once in a lifetime event that for many lifelong residents of the gulf coast has happened twice.

Best of luck to all those living in the affected area, it's nice to see the response from everybody who's down there or heading there. Even the news crews are pitching in to get people to safety.
Old 30 August 2017, 16:15
Been There Done That

We had a lot of random boaters helping us, people, and restaurants bringing in food, businesses giving us supplies, etc. it was an amazing thing to see. I hate to see how it would have been if there wasn't so much help from the public.
Old 30 August 2017, 16:15
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
What area will you be working in?
Unsure. Currently staging in Arlington. We are being told we could be deployed forward at any time but most likely tomorrow morning. I've heard Houston, Corpus Christie, Galveston, and Louisiana are all on the table. Unfortunately, until the orders come down the chain no one really knows.

The logisistics seems to be a bit as one would expect on a large scale disaster. We are expecting more vehicles and supplies this evening. I'm pretty low on the totem, just going with the flow waiting to get out there. We're expecting 14-21 days on deployment before we are rotated out by other FEMA contractors.

There appear to be a few more systems brewing out there; one in the GOM and one out in the Atlantic. Harvey is still doing damage, and we're unsure what that damage will be like.
Old 30 August 2017, 16:19
Very Deplorable

Literally while writing this last post we are being told to gather our shit. We're heading out. Unsure of further. Will post updates later.
Old 30 August 2017, 16:31
Authorized Personnel

Budwiser

Seems that Budwiser has been bottling (canning) water for quite a while. I googled and their site says that over 71 million cans of water have been produced.

We have a case left over from 13 years ago, hurricane Charly.

This might be a combination of good will and promoting the brand by just getting the logo out to many. Either way, thanks Bud.

We had the Guard putting up check points. They were trying to make sure that those going into certain areas lived in the area.

Scrappers and thieves are hard to tell apart when they are hauling your shit away. I would have little remorse if a looter gets shot.

Events like this bring out the best in people, unfortunately, it also it unleashes the scum of the earth.
Old 30 August 2017, 17:26
Been There Done That

Maybe more rain headed your way via another disturbance in the Gulf, and now there's Irma...
Old 30 August 2017, 18:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Literally while writing this last post we are being told to gather our shit. We're heading out. Unsure of further. Will post updates later.
be safe! I'll be just north of Houston for a couple more days before taking some time off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Maybe more rain headed your way via another disturbance in the Gulf, and now there's Irma...
It better find another path. I'm too fucking tired to deal with another storm.
Old 30 August 2017, 21:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Scrappers and thieves are hard to tell apart when they are hauling your shit away. I would have little remorse if a looter gets shot.

Events like this bring out the best in people, unfortunately, it also it unleashes the scum of the earth.
I would have zero remorse for any dirty sons of bitches that resorted to looting, whom end up dead from lead poisoning. When Ivan tore through here, I remember more signs than not that warned, looters will be shot, dead.

I like the fact that Texas can enhance sentences on those arrested for burglary/looting, etcetera type crimes during events like this, to life in prison. That is a kick in the balls for sure, knowing a life sentence awaits you.
Old 30 August 2017, 22:19
Confirmed User

Any of yall heading down with fema or other volunteers end up in the Victoria/Inez area, please shoot me a pm. I don't have much but will share/help wherever I can.
Old 31 August 2017, 01:02
Confirmed User

Looking at a picture of a man trying to recover some of his belonging in the area of Port ? What got me was the house was built up 10 to 15 feet in the air on large concrete foundations the water could just flow under the house. What I noticed the house 2x4 framing no support to with stand a hurricanes like the current one Dumb Shit.
Old 31 August 2017, 12:04
Confirmed User

This "#HoustonStrong" shit is gay. Really really fucking gay. The people pulling other people out of flooded homes and cars don't use fucking hashtags. GAY
Old 31 August 2017, 12:08
Confirmed User

FYI - I am in Dallas area and several gas stations are out of gas now. Might wanna tank up while you can.

-SOTB
Old 31 August 2017, 13:56
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by assertnull View Post
This "#HoustonStrong" shit is gay. Really really fucking gay. The people pulling other people out of flooded homes and cars don't use fucking hashtags. GAY
If it suppresses the divisiveness that was erupting, between BLM and white nationalism, SJW and traditional Southern conservatism, dogs and cats, fierce sports rivals and what have you, for a while, it may do more good than harm among the young, both here and across the U.S. My boys are watching all of this very closely, being all impressionable pre-teens, and the idea that people come together regardless of their skin color differences or their political ideologies when the chips are absolutely down, and people must HELP (themselves and others) when there is danger is one I want them absorbing to their core.

Our new posting rules