Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 4 September 2017, 21:27
Confirmed User

I upgraded my windows recently to ones that do not have to be shuttered http://shwinco.com/index.php/9000-series-single-hung/ and truthfully do not feel like finding out how well they work. I also did the roof deck attachment, reinforced roof to wall connections, gable end protections, and upgraded all doors and garage doors to ones that are rated 200 mph..

I am on the water (bay side) and doubt I ride it out unless it is a 3 or less. Having the baby boy will make it challenging should shit start hitting the fan. I am hoping she takes a hard right turn, and soon. You all in south Florida stay safe. Like others have stated, Irma is gonna be a bitch for sure.
Old 4 September 2017, 21:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Old man's flying into Orlando for his Vietnam reunion on Wednesday. He'll be hitting the supermarkets for cases of water and etc to stash in his hotel upon arrival.
I live in the Orlando area and the supplies are flying off the shelf as we speak. If it gets bad here and your father should need any assistance, shoot me a PM. In that most unfortunate scenario, I would gladly help out where I can.
Old 4 September 2017, 22:19
Confirmed User

Cool. Thanks welder. Passing along the grocery store info. Will get in touch with you if needed.

I told him to get on amazon and buy the things he wants and have it overnight shipped to himself at the hotel so it's there waiting for him upon arrival.
Old 5 September 2017, 01:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Old man's flying into Orlando for his Vietnam reunion on Wednesday..
11th Armored Cav, Blackhorse. Hopefully he is safe, as well as everyone in the area.
Old 5 September 2017, 02:06
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
11th Armored Cav, Blackhorse. Hopefully he is safe, as well as everyone in the area.
This afternoon while on our way to the Orlando airport, we were on I-4 eastbound and got caught in some traffic around Champions Gate. We were at a standstill behind a silver Lexus SUV from Kentucky that displayed multiple 11th Armored Cav, Blackhorse emblems.

We're in Bogota for a week, thus I won't be riding this storm out at home. However, need to have Pinch-a-Penny stop into the house to drain the pool so it doesn't overflow into the lanai. Recently, we've been getting so much rain that 3-days ago I had to drain about 3-inches.
Old 5 September 2017, 02:45

I work for the Corps of Engineers and we we're essentially all informed on Friday that we need to be ready for Corps-wide response and be ready to be asked to deploy on emergency response. We have a lot of people in Texas and more were deploying to Puerto Rico yesterday and today. After looking at the situation today, it looks really bad for a lot of people.
Old 5 September 2017, 08:00
Drawing my cutlass

Irma has reached Cat 5 status. The track guidance is still squirrely past day 4 with discontinuities between products. Prep continues.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 5 September 2017, 08:52

Our emergency response team was deployed to Puerto Rico last night.
Old 5 September 2017, 11:26
Been There Done That

How high can winds get?

In answer to the "How high can winds get" there is this article.

Link

Patricia got up to 215 mph but was still a cat 5. Cat 5 is as high as the scale goes.

While the article is full of "we're all going to die from man caused global warming" one thing to watch for is changing the S-S HWS. I'm sure there will be lots of looking at where to draw the cut line for the new cat 6 if they do it. Want to make sure they get the most cat 6's they can into the last 20 years,
Old 5 September 2017, 11:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Irma has reached Cat 5 status.
My old man has cancelled his trip.
Old 5 September 2017, 11:49
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Smart move.
Anyone who gets an evacuation order should heed it.
If you feel compelled to stay, mark your roof so the helicopter rescuers can see and find you better.
Old 5 September 2017, 12:12
Confirmed User

central east coast FL and watching..
Old 5 September 2017, 13:29
It is what it is...

This is fucked up to say, but I would rather see that thing hit me then Texas. They have enough on their hands and this fucker is already a cat 5. If that thing hits them, it'll probably make Texas the next Haiti.
Old 5 September 2017, 13:41
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Good call.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Old 5 September 2017, 15:36
Confirmed User

While I'm already on standby for response to help with the recovery in Texas, just received word that our drill has been pushed to this weekend. Hopefully Irma hangs a sharp right and leaves us alone. Fingers crossed.
Old 5 September 2017, 16:27
Drawing my cutlass

Hi Res image of Irma from GOES-16. It looks like it's going to swallow Puerto Rico.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irma.jpg (82.3 KB, 120 views)

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Old 5 September 2017, 16:40
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
In answer to the "How high can winds get" there is this article.

Link

Patricia got up to 215 mph but was still a cat 5. Cat 5 is as high as the scale goes.

While the article is full of "we're all going to die from man caused global warming" one thing to watch for is changing the S-S HWS. I'm sure there will be lots of looking at where to draw the cut line for the new cat 6 if they do it. Want to make sure they get the most cat 6's they can into the last 20 years,
I thought this quote from a science website was covered hurricane severity fairly well:

Quote:
Category 5 on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale has no upper bound, on paper. But in theory, winds from a powerful hurricane could blow the scale out of the water, scientists say. There is no such thing as a Category 6 storm, in part because once winds reach Category 5 status, it doesn't matter what you call it, it's really, really, bad.
180 mph winds for Irma last I heard, at that point you're pretty much screwed if you're in its path. It's like the Beaufort scale, anything over 64 is simply noted as hurricane force, which is probably why they started categorizing hurricanes. As for creating an even more severe category, why not just leave it at 5 and add a + sign for anything over 180 mph.
Old 5 September 2017, 16:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Hi Res image of Irma from GOES-16. It looks like it's going to swallow Puerto Rico.
...and with PR's already struggling economy and infrastructure, not to mention Texas, and likely Fla. It will be curious as to the amount of aid President Trump (and Congress) allots. If Irma makes a direct hit on PR, it'll be bad...
Old 5 September 2017, 16:59
Midgetologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
...and with PR's already struggling economy and infrastructure, not to mention Texas, and likely Fla. It will be curious as to the amount of aid President Trump (and Congress) allots. If Irma makes a direct hit on PR, it'll be bad...
Yep, with Rosey Roads closed there will be no NMCB on deployment to start recovery as soon as it passes.

One thing I really miss about my time in Seabees was helping others after natural disasters.
Old 5 September 2017, 18:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I thought this quote from a science website was covered hurricane severity fairly well:

180 mph winds for Irma last I heard, at that point you're pretty much screwed if you're in its path. It's like the Beaufort scale, anything over 64 is simply noted as hurricane force, which is probably why they started categorizing hurricanes. As for creating an even more severe category, why not just leave it at 5 and add a + sign for anything over 180 mph.
Is really, really bad "+5+" then? Or, just "5+P"?

Our new posting rules