SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 27 July 2018, 20:48
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Mars in Opposition

The Red Planet is really starting to get brighter with each passing night, the closest it will come to Earth during this period will be about 0400 on the morning of July 31.

Check it out, won't get this close again for another 17 years.
Old 27 July 2018, 21:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The Red Planet is really starting to get brighter with each passing night, the closest it will come to Earth during this period will be about 0400 on the morning of July 31.

Well, I better look. Don't think I'll make the next passing.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 27 July 2018, 21:31
Never to old to learn

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

The 0400 hrs is that your time? There is a 3 hrs difference in my time would you please tell me what time it will where I am
Old 28 July 2018, 08:37
BTDT

Quote:
Mars’ closest approach will be at 1 a.m. Pacific time Tuesday, according to EarthSky.org.
So when you get out of the bar Monday night, look up.
Old 28 July 2018, 08:49
Spice Weasel

Isn’t that when the Martians are supposed to launch an invasion of Earth or something like that?

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 28 July 2018, 09:24
Old Scroll

Took out the ol' Bausch & Lomb Balscope Sr. spotting scope last night and set it up on the patio at about 2300 hrs last night. Put on the 60x eyepiece, extended the glare shield as the full moon was very close to the target, and could plainly see the orange disk of the Martians' home planet, but any detail was lost as there is apparently a huge dust storm going on now.

Swung around to the west and saw Jupiter with 5 of its moons framing it. Very cool as the two big ones were right at 3 and 9 o'clock to it.

Moved back east, splitting the difference between. Mars and Jupiter and saw Saturn presenting her rings at a nice angle... sometimes they're edge-on and you can't see them without a real telescope.

Then we looked at the moon, but at 60x you couldn't get the whole thing into frame at once. The monolith in the bottom of Tycho was there, soaking up the sun as it has since being uncovered. Daughter Victoria is in Italy and saw the eclipse of the moon, said it was red AF.

Good night of stargazing

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 28 July 2018, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
The 0400 hrs is that your time? There is a 3 hrs difference in my time would you please tell me what time it will where I am
That will be 0400 EST, 0300 CST and 0100 PST.

Looking up at Mars right now as it nears its closest point to Earth for now, you realize what a daunting task it will be to send a manned mission there.

Not to mention getting them back, if that is the plan. I think Buzz Aldrin has suggested it should be a one way trip.
Old 28 July 2018, 13:33
Been There Done That

...and they've found water on the planet, which is a pretty big deal.
Old 28 July 2018, 21:41

Gonna need water if I'm to start the first Martian brewery.
Old 28 July 2018, 22:43
Been There Done That

Why would Mars oppose Earth anyhow? We done nothing to them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 29 July 2018, 01:37
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Because Mars is fed up with Facebook’s bullshit and is unfriending the whole damn planet.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 30 July 2018, 21:50
At the Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Because Mars is fed up with Facebook’s bullshit and is unfriending the whole damn planet.
Fuck, yeah! Me, too. Good for Mars.

In all seriousness, I would LOVE to see this stuff, but it won't quit RAINING, damn it!!
Old 31 July 2018, 02:21
I still think I'm fooling everyone

Quote:
Really? What about launching a SpaceX Mars rocket with a Tesla car in it? This could translate into a declaration of war in several alien languages.
What about Curiosity rover? Wouldn't you be pissed by some goddamn alien robot taking selfies on your planet, driving around aimlessly and digging in the dirt? Maybe the dirt is sacred.

Quote:
but it won't quit RAINING
It was cloudy where I live during the entire planet shuffle, so I saw one big nothing. Here's hoping that my kids will be more lucky.

Our new posting rules