Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 September 2013, 12:13
Drawing my cutlass

Overseas adoptions rise -- for black American children

I was going to go off on a full-cocked and full measure rant over this article, but instead I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.

It's time to put up or shut up and tonight when my wife comes home we're going to sit down and have a serious discussion about adopting an African-American infant from the inner city. I have the means and I will be goddamned if the fucking Dutch (or Saudis, or Chinese) are going to waltz into my country and take our newborns. Furthermore, the next time an adoption agency drone (we've been to several) tells us how hard it is to adopt an infant, I'm going to shove this article down her throat.

Enough.

Quote:
Overseas adoptions rise -- for black American children

(CNN) -- Elisa van Meurs grew up with a Polish au pair, speaks fluent Dutch and English and loves horseback riding -- her favorite horse is called Kiki but she also rides Pippi Longstocking, James Bond, and Robin Hood.

She plays tennis and ice hockey, and in the summer likes visiting her grandmother in the Swiss Alps.

"It's really nice to go there because you can walk in the mountains and you can mountain bike ... you can see Edelweiss sometimes," said the 13-year-old, referring to the famous mountain flower that blooms above the tree line.

It's a privileged life unlike that of her birth mother, a woman of African American descent from Indianapolis who had her first child at age 15. Her American family is "really nice but they don't have a lot of money to do stuff," said Elisa, who met her birth mother, and two siblings in 2011. "They were not so rich."

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 17 September 2013, 12:31
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I wish someone rich would adopt me.

It'd be real nice if the adopting family had a really HOT mom and sisters....
Old 17 September 2013, 12:40
Sound off for equipment check!

I support any program that will provide a loving, nurturing home to any unwanted child, anywhere.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 17 September 2013, 12:41
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post

I was going to go off on a full-cocked and full measure rant over this article, but instead I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.

It's time to put up or shut up and tonight when my wife comes home we're going to sit down and have a serious discussion about adopting an African-American infant from the inner city. I have the means and I will be goddamned if the fucking Dutch (or Saudis, or Chinese) are going to waltz into my country and take our newborns. Furthermore, the next time an adoption agency drone (we've been to several) tells us how hard it is to adopt an infant, I'm going to shove this article down her throat.

Enough.
*Standing Ovation*

For whatever it's worth, you have my utmost respect, JC...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 17 September 2013, 12:41
I ♣ Hippies!

Seems to me....
That folks in the US have been running off to third world/under developed countries and adopting babies for years. So now there is a run on people from other nations adopting our children......

Think about that for a moment......

That should tell you something. It speaks volumes to me......

"The real problem of leisure time is how to keep others from using yours." ~Arthur Lacey
Old 17 September 2013, 12:42
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
I support any program that will provide a loving, nurturing home to any unwanted child, anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMeany 5 View Post
Seems to me....
That folks in the US have been running off to third world/under developed countries and adopting babies for years. So now there is a run on people from other nations adopting our children......

^^^ x 2

Wisdom

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 17 September 2013, 12:47
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Absolutely,gives them a chance to be someone.

Nice if some of these celebs adopted kids from America.
Old 17 September 2013, 13:04
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMeany 5 View Post
Seems to me....

Yeah, it does.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 17 September 2013, 13:06
Drawing my cutlass

Question: why should we turn to celebs to set the example?

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 17 September 2013, 13:28
Confirmed User

My wife and I adopted our three through foster care. My middle daughter was four days old when we brought her home. Adopting caucasion infants is only hard for the non-affluent if they pick and choose children like they order options on their next vehicle. My oldest had just turned two years old when we met her. Her bio-grandmother gave up on her because she, and I quote "couldn't take care of a retard". She has delays due to pre-natal drug and alcohol exposure. She is stongest(internal strength) person I have ever met. My son was eighteen months old. So two out of three weren't infants, but all three were adopted without spending a fortune. In fact, the only expense was our initial home study.
Old 17 September 2013, 13:36
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
My oldest had just turned two years old when we met her. Her bio-grandmother gave up on her because she, and I quote "couldn't take care of a retard".
So she (the granma) couldn't take care of herself?

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 17 September 2013, 13:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
My wife and I adopted our three through foster care. My middle daughter was four days old when we brought her home. Adopting caucasion infants is only hard for the non-affluent if they pick and choose children like they order options on their next vehicle. My oldest had just turned two years old when we met her. Her bio-grandmother gave up on her because she, and I quote "couldn't take care of a retard". She has delays due to pre-natal drug and alcohol exposure. She is stongest(internal strength) person I have ever met. My son was eighteen months old. So two out of three weren't infants, but all three were adopted without spending a fortune. In fact, the only expense was our initial home study.
You and your wife have my sincerest admiration!

I know today that the two of you are much richer because of those three decisions the both of you made concerning your two daughters and your son. I certainly know they are richer.
A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. Thats control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. Thats abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions. -- Carlos Castaneda
Old 17 September 2013, 14:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
So she (the granma) couldn't take care of herself?
Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
You and your wife have my sincerest admiration!

I know today that the two of you are much richer because of those three decisions the both of you made concerning your two daughters and your son. I certainly know they are richer.
Indeed we are, I just hope I can be the father they deserve.
Old 17 September 2013, 14:26
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
And on the flip side, my aunt and uncle adopted 3 biological siblings (1 boy, 2 girls) when they were very young. The youngest was an infant and the oldest was 2. He already had 2 boys of his own who were 1 and 2 years older than the oldest adopted.

The 2 biological kids turned out great, but got completely fucked by the 3 adopted ones because the adopted ones cost the family so much money with their bullshit that there wasn't a whole lot left over for the biological sons. They missed out on a lot of opportunities because the adopted ones sucked the life out of their family.

The oldest adopted (boy) burned the family house down when he was 10 years old because he was mad about not getting his way. The following year he burned down the barn. By the time he was 16, he had committed so many felonies that he was finally charged as an adult for a bunch of armed robberies (took a hostage during the last one) and sent to prison. That was 20 years ago, and he won't be eligible for parole for another 30 or so.

The other 2 adopted kids (both girls) are completely worthless, each has 4 kids by 4 different fathers...first kids at 14 and 16, respectively. Heavy into drugs, still dependent on their parents, etc.

Every time I think about adoption, I think of them and put it out of my mind. I'll take care of my own and make sure that 100% of their needs are met before I even think about taking care of anyone else. To me, it's just a more personal version of what we do as a country. We are broke, have poor and needy of our own, yet we hand out money to turds all over the place, who piss it away.

If someone has met 100% of their obligations and has some extra to help out another kid, then by all means. I doubt that I ever will be in that position.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 17 September 2013, 14:48
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Question: why should we turn to celebs to set the example?
It seems to me every time a celeb adopts a child from a third world country it gets all the media attention.Maybe it would help American children get adopted is what I meant.
Old 17 September 2013, 14:54
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
It seems to me every time a celeb adopts a child from a third world country it gets all the media attention.Maybe it would help American children get adopted is what I meant.
I hear you, but the media attention is on the celeb and not the child. Adoption should be a personal and private affair, I applaud the celeb for making the decision, but the fucking media is - in their fucking agenda - more interested in getting close to the adoptive parents and less on the plight of the child.

My two cents worth.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 17 September 2013, 15:07
Confirmed User

I applaud those who adopt. My wife was adopted, and my sister and her husband (bi-racial) adopted 2 of their 3 children (all bi-racial).
Unfortunately there are those in the African-American community that are making race an issue in adoption. The first article is old, but it's still relevant.
http://articles.philly.com/1993-12-1...-placement-act

This second article just points out some pertinent issues:
http://mybrownbaby.com/2011/08/trans...lack-children/
Old 17 September 2013, 15:08
Drawing my cutlass

Ok, wife's home, discussion will begin after lunch. Wish us luck.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 17 September 2013, 15:08
The atomic zit

Luck!!!
Old 17 September 2013, 15:25
Confirmed User

We adopted our only child from Colombia and it was the hardest thing we ever did.

Why Colombia? We couldn't attend the State's required classes because my husband worked shift work and the only babies available were black and Maryland didn't think it appropriate to place black children in white homes. It was 1994. So we went the international route and adopted a 2 year old boy. A whole lot more expensive, but definitely worth it. I have the best son any mother could ask for. He is almost 21, a junior in college, getting a double major, and has never gotten into any kind of trouble. He is in ROTC and is working on getting his private pilot's license. (Yes, I'm a proud mama).

We also did pre-adoptive infant foster care for a couple of years. Each baby we got was black and we had the honor of helping them withdrawal from drugs before they were presented to prospective adoptive families. It was hell, but again, utterly worth it. I still tear up when I remember those little 5-lb babies screaming and writhing from pain day and night for weeks.

There's a waiting family for each child born, I'm convinced of that. But, the adoption process (necessarily) makes doing so very difficult.

PSA:
If you were on the fence, get off now and grow your family through adoption.

Our new posting rules