SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 5 December 2018, 11:37
Been There Done That

Thumbs up 101 year old Vet inspires.

Took this from the story, in Veterans Issue section, about the 101 year old WWII veteran who has one Coors light every day at 4pm.

Got me to thinking.

Some lessons to learn and remember from the story and live by.

Get a good nights sleep.

Keep yourself well groomed, bathed, looking sharp.

Cook your own breakfast and lunch. Just healthy meals each and not too large of portions.

Do some light exercise everyday. Go for a walk daily. Then some light weights, and/or some yoga, stretching, martial arts.

Have some time each day to yourself, to read and contemplate.

Give God thanks everyday, saying a short prayer.

Instead of a big dinner, relax and have one cold beer. But not too late in the day. Good if can have with a family member or close friend - or listen to some good music while doing (I suggest either the Doors, some Jazz, or Pandora's Global Chill station.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5 December 2018, 12:44
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Took this from the story, in Veterans Issue section, about the 101 year old WWII veteran who has one Coors light every day at 4pm.

Got me to thinking.

Get a good nights sleep.

Cook your own breakfast and lunch. Just healthy meals each and not too large of portions.

Do some light exercise everyday. Go for a walk daily. Then some light weights, and/or some yoga, stretching, martial arts.

Instead of a big dinner, relax and have one cold beer. But not too late in the day. Good if can have with a family member or close friend - or listen to some good music while doing (I suggest either the Doors, some Jazz, or Pandora's Global Chill station.)
X100. Lots of practical daily tips that will culminate into a well lived life! I try to do everyone, except for the daily beer.
Old 6 December 2018, 18:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post

Got me to thinking.

Get a good nights sleep.

Good stuff, I don't do the daily beer thing but....

I was at church one Saturday afternoon (wife likes the 4pm mass) when my mind began to wander during the sermon (Lord forgive me) and I started thinking about the beers I was going to drink when I got home. (And it's always the heavy IPA's with the high ABV)

I only drink on Friday/Sat/Sunday and stay clean on ‘school nights’ as I call Mon-Thurs. I usually have 2-3 a night on the weekends…sometimes a fourth, so approx. 10 a weekend….and I started calculating just how many beers I drink a year.

I figured that I drink 525 beers a year give or take (plus wine/tequila etc on occasion)…it’s kinda a sobering thought, but I figured as long as I know what I’m up against, I can just work out that much harder ahead of time and get plenty of rest.

Last edited by 19MIKE; 6 December 2018 at 19:11.
Old 7 December 2018, 19:30
Confirmed User

So ….doing simple arithmetic, one IPA (7-8+% ABV, twice the calories) is double the amount of a light beer.

That means technically that (all things considered), I drink over 1000 light beers in a year. (525 sounds better than 1050).

I’m not particularly proud of that, in fact, I’m sure that there are other here that are higher….but it just goes to show you how things add up over time and how it affects your body and how you should monitor your alcohol intake.

Thank you Jesus.

Our new posting rules