SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 24 September 2007, 13:21
Carl Spackler
Visitor

Question Springfield M1A or M1A Scout (Not SOCOM)

Looking at both. Any pros and cons? Shot the shit out of the M14. Looking more for the little things. Plan to knock down some game (yeah the accesories are already had) and shoot some target. Thanks in advance.
Old 24 September 2007, 16:18
BTDT

I have a scout. I dont see a big reason to get the 22" barrel unless you are going to have it accurized. My opinion is that the 18" is long enough to take advantage of a 308 out to 500 yds. It is also handier.

the scope mount on the scout (and SOCOM) tend to get hot. Some owners have had problems with EOTechs and other battery operated optics due to the heat transfer while firing a large number of rounds. If you get one look at a Smith mount for regular optics and maybe a Knights M14 RAS for forward mounted red dots.
Old 28 September 2007, 13:32

I have an M1A Scout and it works fine. The rubber buttpad can be replaced with steel M14 buttplate to shorten the length of pull, something that helps me when shouldering the weapon. The recoil is a bit more stout with the steel butt plate.

For daytime I use a Burris 1.5 power far relief scope on a ARMS quick change base. The woods in Georgia make for rather short distances for deer hunting. For night use, I have a Tasco red dot site. A more powerful scope can can be mounted with the ARMS scope mount that fits over the receiver. If I need that kind of accuracy, I need to get a bolt gun.

I'm sure you have quality magazines. Most of my failures to feed were from cheap mags. A little grease on the bolt roller and a few other places and yer good to go.

Have fun.
Old 20 August 2019, 09:43
Been There Done That

Any info on recent quality?

Anyone try one chambered now in 6.5 creedmor?
Old 20 August 2019, 11:17
Confirmed User

I had a Fulton Armory Scout for a number of years. Very good rifle. It shot roughly 2 MOA and generally used it with iron sights. Here's a picture from a rifle match.

Old 20 August 2019, 11:20

I have the Springfield Armory National Match. It is extremely accurate and the quality of the action is very good. Only negative I have on the M1A regarding use as a hunting rifle is the weight. Out of the box is almost ten pounds for the National Match. Some of the other models are lighter if I remember correctly.
Old 20 August 2019, 11:25
Corpsman Up!

I have had both. I like the shorter barrel, but always gravitate back to my full size. I will admit it becomes a rabbit hole. I now have a self built rifle built around an LRB reciever, as well as a Devine M1A.

My advice on a new rifle would be to go full size. The market is strong enough if you don't like it, you can get your money back and then purchase a scout.

Also, for a scope mount, my go to mount is a CASM mount from M14.ca

As for reliability, had more feed issues with my Scout than any other, was fixed by sanding/smoothing the interior of the mag well, and shooting the absolute crap out of it. Have not had any issues out of my M1A Loaded, Standard, or Devine. I had to adjust the gas system for my LRB build. I have found that by keeping the gas system clean and dry and greasing my other parts as designed, they run like sewing machines.

Last edited by dbuck1031; 20 August 2019 at 11:39.
Old 20 August 2019, 12:23
Freelancer

.308 AR lighter, cheaper and more accurate out of the box. M1As price should include a reach around.
Old 20 August 2019, 15:03
Freelancer

Forgot to add earlier, I would rather have a BM59 over a M1A better rifle IMHO.
Old 20 August 2019, 17:03
Confirmed User

I found that in order to get really good accuracy from the M14 platform you needed to do a lot of tuning. This can be a really engaging hobby for a lot of people and the M14 websites have a lot of information on improvements. In the end, I just didn't want to mess with it anymore.
Old 20 August 2019, 18:35
BTDT

Back in '02 +, the Navy Surface Fleet had M14s, so the courses were taught with M1As... they broke...all the f'n time. No thanks. They're cool if you don't shoot'em a lot. I know, heresy!!!!!

The Karen Proclamation: I fear the virus. I fear the outside. I fear other citizens. I will remain inside forever and live twice is long. I sit with Karen, now and eternally.
Old 20 August 2019, 21:36
Hard to Kill

POF Revolution. AR15 chassis in .308. 6.7 lbs. Jus Sayin.
Old 21 August 2019, 15:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
I found that in order to get really good accuracy from the M14 platform you needed to do a lot of tuning. This can be a really engaging hobby for a lot of people and the M14 websites have a lot of information on improvements. In the end, I just didn't want to mess with it anymore.
So you prefer your Steyr Scout over the M1A?
Old 21 August 2019, 18:25
Confirmed User

LP,
The Steyr Scout is quite a bit more accurate. It also has easy and solid mountings for optics. With the 10 round magazines, it makes a handy package. You can quickly shoulder it and hit your target. If you go prone or supported you can hit small things. All in, I prefer the Steyr Scout.

The Fulton Armory M14 Scout was very reliable and consistent. I could hit a paper plate at 200m all day. I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a fight. I found that in order to get Steyr like accuracy you would have to tune the gas system and glass bed the action etc. Quite a bit is required to get it tuned to match levels. I do understand how some people like to work on tuning their M1As and squeezing every bit of accuracy out of them. I'm just used to more out of the box precision and also since range time is limited I need to work more on my own skills rather than tuning the rifle.

I also found that the M1A of this size's virtue is its fast-handling. Adding optics can mess up that handling and turn it into a clunker - neither precision nor fast-handling. Maybe a red dot on the scout rail or a lightweight scout scope would work. I haven't tried those options.
Old 22 August 2019, 08:05
Freelancer

[QUOTE=Polypro;1058811421 I know, heresy!!!!! [/QUOTE]

A 7.62x39 AR is heresy.

Hognose wrote a good piece on why the M14 was a failure. A few other fellas did also all are well written and take time to explain the faults.

http://looserounds.com/2015/01/30/th...he-m14-legend/

Last edited by GPC; 22 August 2019 at 08:15.
Old 22 August 2019, 08:48
Been There Done That

Thank you for saving me money.
Old 22 August 2019, 09:01
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Thank you for saving me money.
You're welcome, and the frustration of ownership.
Old 22 August 2019, 14:03
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I have known a few people over the years who have owned SOCOM's. With one exception, they have all sold them, and the exception is not and has never been an "end user".

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi

"We are giants put on this Earth to rid it of evil and to keep all that is good." - Jack Horne

Our new posting rules