SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 24 January 2015, 16:06
Been There Done That

12 Monkeys

Always liked the movie. Just re-watched it last week.

Now, see there is a TV show, and the first episode was free on I Tunes, so downloaded. Looks promising. Of course unless they drag it out for several seasons. I think a one season mini-series would be good.
Old 24 January 2015, 16:20
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I liked 12 Monkeys for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which it touched on the subject of an apocalyptic virus. So topical then and now, and perhaps the biggest threat to us all in the end.

I'm amazed that Terry Gilliam got it made, a lot of his projects die on the drawing board, usually for lack of funding. Looks like he's going to give The Man Who Killed Don Quixote another shot, he didn't get to make it when Johnny Depp was going to be in it, but they made a pretty good documentary about the whole process of not getting it made.
Old 24 January 2015, 16:25
Authorized Personnel

Yeah, I really liked watching 12 monkeys as well. I thought it was one of the better acting jobs by Brad Pitt.
Old 24 January 2015, 16:30
On the Extract Bird

I thought it was an ok movie. But I always give the eyeroll when a movie shows an apocalyptic, broken, decayed outside world being navigated by people with waaaaay advanced technology and devices. Meh...just too much of a jump. Like leopardprey I like those 1-season series', or something like True Detective that comes back with an entirely different story line and cast. The Wire was that way re the storyline with each season focusing on a different crime or gang or situation, just the cast stayed the same (I may be biased as I lived in Baltimore/Columbia when it first came out).
Old 24 January 2015, 16:32
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I think Brad Pitt might be a good subject for a parody video, dub some serious dialogue from one of his more high brow films onto his character Floyd in True Romance. Or vice versa.
Old 25 January 2015, 12:21
I've got a gun too, mf'er

I liked the movie, thought the pilot was decent enough to watch and see where it goes.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 25 January 2015, 21:07
Confirmed User

Haven't seen the movie yet, however, you could probably get Johnny Depp pretty cheap in any further endeavors.
Old 25 January 2015, 23:24
War on Christmas veteran

Thumbs down

I loved the film.
Gilliam is one of the true mad artists working in movies who can sometimes pull of something amazing.
Unfortunately, like most mad geniuses, sometimes they make crap and sometimes their genius works are cursed to never be completed, or ruined by bad luck... or in his case, intrusive studios.

The TV show pilot pissed me off.
At first I didn't like that they were abandoning the complex concept of the film for some lame Terminator knock-off "let's rewrite the past to save the future" premise.
I also didn't like that that concept completely defies the time travel logic of the film.
In the film, our half mad hero explains that he hasn't come back to the past to save it because he can't change the past... preventing the outbreak would mean he would never come back in time to prevent it.... so he can't change the past.
He's just there in the past to get a pure sample of the virus before it mutates to help the scientists in his time come up with a cure.

So I decided to try and watch the TV show as its own separate entity and tried to enjoy it on its own, without comparing it to the film.
And the show lost me with its stupidity in the first half of the pilot episode.
The scene where our hero scratches the face of the doctor's watch so that she can see as the watch he brought back from the future magically creates an identical scratch... has to be one of the stupidest time travel moments I've seen in recent TV or film.
If he scratched the watch in the past, the watch in the future that he found would have already had the scratch before he even found it... it would not have magically created itself in front of him.

now this may sound like a petty complaint, and my sci-fi nerd flag may be waving too much, but that moment in the pilot episode told me that the writers of this show about time travel didn't spend any time really thinking about it... so this watch moment, and the whole plot of coming back in time to change the past while disregarding that that means never being sent back to change the past, just tells me what kind of a time travel show this is going to be.

the Bill&Ted movie was more respectful to the time travel genre than this.

I will watch a few more episodes because I have free time and I hope I am wrong.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 22 March 2020, 13:50
Been There Done That

So maybe a time traveler will come back from the future to stop Antifa from releasing the Corona Virus?
Old 26 March 2020, 00:09
Confronting the Reckoning

I met him last week on campus. The police arrested him.

Our new posting rules