SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 10 November 2018, 00:33

Crossbows

Crossbows are now legal for bow season in my state, which gives them a very strong appeal. Partly because Mrs Lima has an interest in them and partly because I've never had the opportunity or time to become competent with a compound (much less a recurve) bow but would really like to expand my hunting opportunities.

If SOCNET was getting started on this venture, how would you guys proceed?
Old 10 November 2018, 06:46
Old Scroll

I'd but myself one, practice with it until I get to be a great shot with it, and then go out and fill my freezer?

I would have done some comparative analysis first to decide on the hardware, but that is far less important than PRACTICE. Skill over gear, everytime.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 10 November 2018, 07:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
Crossbows are now legal for bow season in my state, which gives them a very strong appeal. Partly because Mrs Lima has an interest in them and partly because I've never had the opportunity or time to become competent with a compound (much less a recurve) bow but would really like to expand my hunting opportunities.

If SOCNET was getting started on this venture, how would you guys proceed?
I have hunted with my old Hortan crossbow for many seasons.

Just go out and buy a decent quality one, with a good red dot scope on it, and go practice. The learning curve is pretty short compared to a compound bow. It is not that hard.

Most crossbow Red dot scopes will have multiple illuminated dots,to compensate for range.

What I like to do, is when I get into my tree stand or blind, I range out multiple landmarks. Then if Mr or Mrs Deer are near those landmarks, I know the distance and can use the appropriate dot.

Just make sure before go out your scope is sighted up and do shots at various distances. I use one of these large foam cubes to practice.

And make sure you carry extra batteries for your scope and remember to turn off when not using.

Make sure have some really good quality broadheads, razor sharp, for your bolts.

And always carry and practice safety, just like if it was a firearm!

And if in a tree, always use a tree harness/fall protection! 20 years ago my brother fell out of his tree stand and broke his back. Usually the consequences are worse!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 November 2018, 08:18
Been There Done That

A good crossbow with a red dot scope...pretty much a 30-30 at 25 to 30 yards.
Old 10 November 2018, 08:29
Freelancer

Here is a book on them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZJCcblsYt-gXHF
Old 10 November 2018, 11:36
Been There Done That

Pay particular attention to where you grasp the crossbow with your non-shooting hand- otherwise you might be called "Lefty" Self inflicted wounds can be caused by grasping the crossbow like a rifle- natural tendency; the non-shooting hand MUST be kept away from the bowstring.
Old 10 November 2018, 14:49
Been There Done That

TRUTH...That fucker will take a finger off at the knuckle right now--do not pass go. Good point!!
Old 10 November 2018, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Pay particular attention to where you grasp the crossbow with your non-shooting hand- otherwise you might be called "Lefty" Self inflicted wounds can be caused by grasping the crossbow like a rifle- natural tendency; the non-shooting hand MUST be kept away from the bowstring.
Definitely need all my fingers. Solid tip and thanks.

No brand of crossbow /bolt superior, better value, whatever? A red dot is a bonus for the middle aged eyes. Very cool.

Agreed on practice over gear. Gucci gear on a turd is still a turd with expensive gear.

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 10 November 2018, 18:59
Been There Done That

Bow season is done for most parts, except for a late bow season...pretty soon, if you scan craiglist you'll find a good used crossbow with everything you need to get a start--after that, decide if you like the sport before sinking major bucks into it.
Old 10 November 2018, 19:41
Been There Done That

A crossbow with a 375 fps velocity you will hear the thump at the target at 30-40 yds about the same time you hear the trigger release. They're pretty fast. I've been shooting longer ranges, close to 65. I've had 2 swings and a miss but bow season runs till the last day of December.

Plenty of time.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 10 November 2018, 21:55
Been There Done That

Craigslist is a good place to find one- usually someone that either -

A) didn't like the sport or

B) needs money RTS (right this second)

Back during the .22 shortage, I traded 400 rounds of .22 for a 175lb Horton Crossbow with the red dot, 6 practice bolts and 6 broadheads...
Old 11 November 2018, 08:26
Been There Done That

Depending on which way you go--a good set of crossbow bolts and matching broadheads can run into some serious fundage.
Old 11 November 2018, 08:45
Authorized Personnel

I picked up a crossbow a couple years ago. I had never used one previously and am seriously awed at how powerful they are.
Old 11 November 2018, 19:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
I picked up a crossbow a couple years ago. I had never used one previously and am seriously awed at how powerful they are.
If you look among the various companies that make/sell them now. There is some wicked looking shit on the market now.

Faster, accurate, more powerful and able to shoot at 70 yds. Some look medieval with new technology that's amazing.

Old 11 November 2018, 20:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
If you look among the various companies that make/sell them now. There is some wicked looking shit on the market now.

Faster, accurate, more powerful and able to shoot at 70 yds. Some look medieval with new technology that's amazing.
Yep. Use to be in Indiana, crossbows were only allowed thevlast month of Archery season, which was just over three months long.
So they were not used that much. Most bow hunters used compound bow. And a very small group of them wantbto venture out the last month, when it is getting really cold.

Well around ten years ago Indiana opened up all of archery season to crossbows. Now you hardly see anyone using a compound bow. All the archery stores and outdoor stores mainly sell crossbows. Other states have done similiar. So with the increased demand and money, more innovations made.

I use to really enjoy hunting with my Mathews compound. But since crossbows came into vogue, my compound gathers dust cause the crossbow is so much easier to use.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 11 November 2018, 21:14
Been There Done That

Yep. Exactly. I used to be a Hoyt guy. But these new crossbows are like lasers. The only issue I've had is the broadheads flying differently from the practice tips even being the same gram in weight. So, I sacrifice 1 broad head to check the zero and baby the others. Like Mingo posted...they're expensive as fuck. Archery is much more expensive than gun hunting to me.

Old 13 November 2018, 14:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
No brand of crossbow /bolt superior, better value, whatever?
I like my Ten-Point. My Dad bought it, then died before he could use it, and I ended up with it... which was fortunate for me, because my old Barnett was on it's second set of limbs, and was dying.

The Ten-Point is SOOOO much better than the Barnett. It cost over twice as much, so you'd expect it to be better.

When I bought the Barnett, I just ordered it, and went to a local shop and bought arrows/bolts/quarrels/whateveryoucallthem, and put heavy heads on for penetration. I shot open-sights for a few seasons, then bought a scope (hated it) bought a different scope (not much better). One limb cracked, Barnett replaced both limbs for free... but from a lower-power model.

My Dad, on the other hand, had a shop set him up with everything-- bow, scope, bolts, heads, etc. I think they did a lot better job of putting the kit together than I did with just mismatched off-the-shelf parts. So I have to recommend that you go to a small shop, with no-kidding knowledgeable people, and put a whole kit together with appropriate parts.

And to the comment about broadheads and field-tips flying differently-- That's my experience too. I have a set of matched broadheads that I use only for practice. It's just a cost of doing business.
Old 21 November 2018, 01:06
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

I shot a Ravin at SHOT Show "Industry Day at the Range". Holy CRAP. 1st round hit at 100m on a target the side of a salad plate with the factory scope. And 3x the velocity of my Barnett Commando (recurve) and Commando II (compound).

Unbelievable.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi

Our new posting rules