SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 13 February 2015, 00:35
The Sagacious One

Your first priority in survival is shelter. Some sort of Tarp, poncho and liner or wool blanket. The second is fire. I would add some sort of tinder. I spent last night mixing cotton balls and vaseline for fire starter and packing it into film canisters. Dryer lint works well. I am also in the process of making stove patties from horse stall shavings and wax.
Old 13 February 2015, 00:53
Odin's Underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
At first look I would add gloves. I carry mechanics gloves and depending on the season I also have a warm pair. Also I carry a 5x7' tarp. It doesn't take much room and can be used for anything from catching water to providing shelter.

My pack gets reloaded depending on the season.
Good call. I have several pairs in my vehicles, but I should probably have them in each bag. I will add a tarp. Good call.

Fat Guy, I also have dryer lint in their packs but I will add some cotton balls in vaseline.

I am also probably going to change the .22 for my son. I just bought a break down Ruger 10-22 and they are freak'n incredible. Very compact and great little rugged rifles.

Thanks!

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 13 February 2015, 00:55
Odin's Underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am also in the process of making stove patties from horse stall shavings and wax.
I'd like to hear more about this...

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 13 February 2015, 03:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Your first priority in survival is shelter. Some sort of Tarp, poncho and liner or wool blanket. The second is fire. I would add some sort of tinder. I spent last night mixing cotton balls and vaseline for fire starter and packing it into film canisters. Dryer lint works well. I am also in the process of making stove patties from horse stall shavings and wax.
I soak cotton balls in paraffin- they are amazing fire starters...
Old 13 February 2015, 08:09
Another pool cleaner

Great idea w/ the soaked cotton balls. I prefer vaseline. Can then be used for scrapes, blisters, friction easers, lip balm and lubricant.

I use those "Airborne" seltzer containers. They are a longer and come in several sizes. Great for keeping things waterproof.

Remember about shoes. Either wear one that you can hike/ruck in or have one next/attached to the go bag.
Old 13 February 2015, 09:38
Odin's Underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Great idea w/ the soaked cotton balls. I prefer vaseline. Can then be used for scrapes, blisters, friction easers, lip balm and lubricant.

I use those "Airborne" seltzer containers. They are a longer and come in several sizes. Great for keeping things waterproof.

Remember about shoes. Either wear one that you can hike/ruck in or have one next/attached to the go bag.
I will try them both. I have used cotton balls with Vaseline in the past but never tried paraffin. I like the Airborne containers idea. I use them regularly since I travel a lot. Thanks!

Quote:
Old 13 February 2015, 09:39
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCo275 View Post
Good call. I have several pairs in my vehicles, but I should probably have them in each bag. I will add a tarp. Good call.

Fat Guy, I also have dryer lint in their packs but I will add some cotton balls in vaseline.

I am also probably going to change the .22 for my son. I just bought a break down Ruger 10-22 and they are freak'n incredible. Very compact and great little rugged rifles.

Thanks!
I think I am going to start a different thread for survival weapons / BOB weapons.

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 13 February 2015 at 09:52.
Old 13 February 2015, 09:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post

I have mine in a prescription bottle- free and I can see what's in each bottle- I also have about a dozen of the 'trick' birthday candles that relight themselves, and some hurricane matches in tiny zip locks, so my complete 'primary' fire starting 'kit' is in one bottle. I have a narrow med bottle with 5-6 tea light candles for light, heat, and if necessary, lighting a wet wood fire. You can buy bags of 100 tea light candles at Wally World very cheaply
Old 13 February 2015, 09:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
I think I am going to start a different thread for survival weapons / BOB weapons.
If you do then 'sticky' it...
Old 13 February 2015, 10:48
Odin's Underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
I have mine in a prescription bottle- free and I can see what's in each bottle- I also have about a dozen of the 'trick' birthday candles that relight themselves, and some hurricane matches in tiny zip locks, so my complete 'primary' fire starting 'kit' is in one bottle. I have a narrow med bottle with 5-6 tea light candles for light, heat, and if necessary, lighting a wet wood fire. You can buy bags of 100 tea light candles at Wally World very cheaply
Yeah, I need to do a better job with my fire starting kit. I have a couple small flint and steel kits with the fuel tabs and cotton balls but I need to work on something more like what you're talking about.

I am also thinking about getting a SnugPak jacket for each of the family members to put in their pack. They are very warm, compact and can be stored in a small bag that fits in the pack. I think the for the money, weight and warmth they are a great addition. Anyone else have any other thoughts on lightweight, warm, packable jackets? I have used SnugPak sleeping bags and jackets in the past and they seem to be very well made and not too crazy expensive.

Quote:
Old 13 February 2015, 11:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
I am also in the process of making stove patties from horse stall shavings and wax.
Like this? http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Zippo_Ced...tedItem=604652
Old 13 February 2015, 11:51
33,024 - R.I.P.

I keep a couple of different items in my fire starting kit.
  • Storm matches
  • bic lighter
  • 3oz of isopropyl alcohol
  • 3 tabs of WetFire
  • 0000 steel wool
  • 9v battery
  • 2 sticks of fat wood

All of this is kept in a LokSak. The storm proof matches are vacuum sealed flat with a striker pad (foodsaver packaging) to save room. I think I posted a pic awhile back. If you do carry the 9V battery, make sure the electrodes stay covered.
Old 13 February 2015, 12:09
Odin's Underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I keep a couple of different items in my fire starting kit.
  • 0000 steel wool
  • 9v battery
Great call.

Quote:
Old 13 February 2015, 12:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Ever thought of a bivy sack and a thin micro fleece sheet? The bivy is water proof and helps keep in heat since it zips up and the sheet isn't heavy but keeps the cod away from your skin that my be transferred from the bivy.
Old 13 February 2015, 13:00
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCo275 View Post
Anyone else have any other thoughts on lightweight, warm, packable jackets? I have used SnugPak sleeping bags and jackets in the past and they seem to be very well made and not too crazy expensive.
I like Snugpak products. Don't know if you can get it in the US but they are awesome. A bit more pricy than SnugPak though but worth it.
http://www.military-sleeping-bags.com/
Old 13 February 2015, 14:15
Confirmed User

For firestarters, I have been using the vaseline soaked cotton balls, and something like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...-For-Camping-/

I learned about these in Boy Scouts about a million years ago, but essentially, you tightly roll newspaper, tie it off about every couple of inches, and cut between the ties. You then dip the little fire logs into melted wax. The result is waterproof, and you can peel off a little or a lot, depending on how wet the wood you light is. If you peel one side and leave the other side of the firestarter unpeeled, it burns for a very long time, allowing you to get a fire going in almost any conditions.
Old 13 February 2015, 19:16
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Exactly, except I will use pine and I will also try and use compressed wood pellets to see if they will burn longer. They will probably just expand and overflow my mold.

I also read where some folks take a fake fire place log and cut it into pucks the size of the one pictured, basically the same thing.
Old 13 February 2015, 19:26
The Sagacious One

Quote:
I bought a bunch of these (15) for $8, they are clear (almost) film canisters.

I read on another site about these. They are very thick and sturdy. They are blanks for beverage bottles. The company needed a way to ship them in a smaller volume, I got about 30 for $18. You can put anything from fire starter, frog lube, motrin, anything. VERY thick and sturdy.
Old 13 February 2015, 19:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Exactly, except I will use pine and I will also try and use compressed wood pellets to see if they will burn longer. They will probably just expand and overflow my mold.

I also read where some folks take a fake fire place log and cut it into pucks the size of the one pictured, basically the same thing.
I think if you were to use a piece of 3" PVC as a mold, you could make your own 'log'.

The paraffin is too viscous to soak into something as compacted as wood pellets...It cools too rapidly back to its naturally solid state.
Old 13 February 2015, 21:24

note on MSR dromedaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
I like the MSR Dromedary bags. I want to add a second one to make a gravity filtration system with my sawyer.
I love the MSR dromedaries; have a 6 year old 10L.

Functions as a shower too- if we get to camp early enough, I fill it from whatever water source and leave it in the sun for a couple hours. The bag's black color cooks up the water in short order.

The only downside was took 2 years and maybe 25 uses to get the plastic flavor out of it. I soaked it, tried baking soda, gentle scrub brush, nothing worked.

Our new posting rules