SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 27 August 2018, 16:42
Drawing my cutlass

Icon5 In Home Nursing Care VA Benefits

My father is 91 years old, a veteran (WWII) and is in need of 24 hour care in his home. If I have this right there is a way to offset some of the costs through the VA. Does anyone here have any experience or information on that? (Eligibility, home visit, etc.).

Thanks for your help.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 27 August 2018 at 17:01.
Old 27 August 2018, 16:50
Been There Done That

Start here is the best bet, I suspect:

https://www.va.gov/geriatrics/guide/...term_care.asp#
Old 30 August 2018, 07:01
A/1/75

I went thru this with my dad recently. The best the VA would do was provide some support costs, but as to 24 hour care, no. They would do 12 hours of care a week which we broke up into 3 4 hour blocks to give ourselves a break. My dad didn't help things out any as when he was interviewed by the VA benefits lady, he answered that he could take care of himself, he cooked, cleaned, and all of it. She would not let me tell the real story, the "Patient" had to answer.
Any help was appreciative though.

Charlie
Old 30 August 2018, 08:00
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
I went thru this with my dad recently. The best the VA would do was provide some support costs, but as to 24 hour care, no. They would do 12 hours of care a week which we broke up into 3 4 hour blocks to give ourselves a break. My dad didn't help things out any as when he was interviewed by the VA benefits lady, he answered that he could take care of himself, he cooked, cleaned, and all of it. She would not let me tell the real story, the "Patient" had to answer.
Any help was appreciative though.
Same situation Iím in, the ďI can do everything by myselfĒ mode. I hate it when the man who raised me has regressed to a petulant two-year old and itís driving my brother and me crazy.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 30 August 2018, 08:34
A/1/75

We tried that, there were 4 of us locally helping out and we got burned out. Eventually moved him to a memory care facility until his passing.

Charlie
Old 30 August 2018, 08:51
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Same situation I’m in, the “I can do everything by myself” mode. I hate it when the man who raised me has regressed to a petulant two-year old and it’s driving my brother and me crazy.
That sucks man, sorry. Been there.

We went through the same thrash with my dad. I explored different VA assistance options for months, they were limited enough that I finally ended up putting both him and my mom in assisted living. Home care of any kind is expensive, and the cost of 24 hour home care is prohibitively (read: insanely) expensive, if you can even find someone reliable who actually does it. Assisted living is not exactly cheap either, but it's way less expensive than home care. Of course, if your dad is anything like mine was, good luck selling him on that idea

This was ten years ago, so things may have changed. Hope so. Sixgun already posted the link I was going to recommend, let me know if I can help out with anything.
Old 30 August 2018, 22:11
Never to old to learn

What you need is a letter from his doctor stating the facts. each state (some states require two doctors letters) it is different in how the letter will read. Also someone needs the power to make decisions for him.

Last edited by wildman43; 30 August 2018 at 22:13. Reason: wording
Old 31 August 2018, 08:14
Authorized Personnel

Is your dad service connected for anything? I will do some research on Aid and attendance.

I brought this up in another post just a few days ago, check with your local hospice branch. They may not be able to offer 24/7 but every little bit helps(I know I sound like a broken record or a parrot when it comes to hospice and I also it’s not a go to soultion for every situation)

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 31 August 2018, 10:17
Never to old to learn

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
Is your dad service connected for anything? I will do some research on Aid and attendance.

I brought this up in another post just a few days ago, check with your local hospice branch. They may not be able to offer 24/7 but every little bit helps(I know I sound like a broken record or a parrot when it comes to hospice and I also itís not a go to soultion for every situation)
I am going thru this right with my wife, with hospice care. I am bring her home from the hospital today. What I have been told is that Hospice only comes to the home on a regular schedule. They do not do any fixing of food etc.

10thvet is right about Aid and attendance.

Good luck on getting your dad help
Old 31 August 2018, 11:08
A/1/75

Aid and Attendance is based on assets. My dad had over $80,000 in assets which made him not eligible.

Charlie
Old 31 August 2018, 14:27
Drawing my cutlass

Thanks everyone, we've initiated full time care for the next two weeks. Yes, it is prohibitively expensive ($25/hr), but he will be getting intensive PT and OT during the period to strengthen his legs. After the two weeks are up we'll evaluate whether he can return to normal and we can discontinue the service. We've also ordered an in home medical alert device with fall protection to give him emergency coverage.

Also, I've initiated the conversation of moving him to Florida under my roof. God knows we have the room and resources and since I operate out of the house, I can provide coverage. Also, there isn't another state in the nation that understands senior medical care better than Florida (Broward Health is literally down the street and UM Medical is 15 minutes away).

Surprisingly, he's amenable to the idea, so is my brother. It would give us all peace of mind.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 31 August 2018, 16:54
Did...did I do that?

Justaclerk, make sure you have an out for yourself, some way to take a break, when he moves there.

Some states have veterans-only nursing homes, too, although from what I hear of Oklahoma's, they're pretty useless.
Old 31 August 2018, 17:55
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Thanks everyone, we've initiated full time care for the next two weeks. Yes, it is prohibitively expensive ($25/hr), but he will be getting intensive PT and OT during the period to strengthen his legs. After the two weeks are up we'll evaluate whether he can return to normal and we can discontinue the service. We've also ordered an in home medical alert device with fall protection to give him emergency coverage.

Also, I've initiated the conversation of moving him to Florida under my roof. God knows we have the room and resources and since I operate out of the house, I can provide coverage. Also, there isn't another state in the nation that understands senior medical care better than Florida (Broward Health is literally down the street and UM Medical is 15 minutes away).

Surprisingly, he's amenable to the idea, so is my brother. It would give us all peace of mind.
Good news. And good on you, no one better to look after him IMO.

Can't overstate the importance of what bobmueller said, though. That shit will burn you out in a hurry if you don't have a plan to take care of yourself.
Old 31 August 2018, 20:47
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
Aid and Attendance is based on assets. My dad had over $80,000 in assets which made him not eligible.
he Asset Test As a general rule household assets cannot exceed $80,000. But there is no specific test in the regulations. Veterans Service Representatives in the regional office are required to file paperwork justifying their decision if they allow assets greater than $80,000. Thus this amount has become a traditional ceiling. Concerning the asset test, the service representative is encouraged to analyze the veteran's household needs for maintenance and weigh those needs against assets that can be readily converted to cash and whether the income from that cash will cover the difference in the household income and the cost of medical care over the care recipients remaining life span.
In the end, the decision as to allowable assets is a subjective decision made by a service representative. In certain cases a benefit award could be denied unless assets are below $50,000 or even $40,000.
A personal residence, a reasonable amount of land on which it sits, personal property and automobiles for personal use are exempted from the asset test.
Old 31 August 2018, 22:01
0311/8651

There is a 301 bed facility here in Norman, Ok.It is a Veterans run VA center, there are 4 of those in Oklahoma. I qualify to go into one with my veteran’s status. In Sulphur,Ok that one is located on federal land, park facility. It is real nice. Each veteran has his own room, some have lived for several years in their room-meals, tv, rec rooms, outside activities etc

Our new posting rules