SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 22 October 2016, 15:16
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
Elderberry has clinical data on fighting flu virus.
Careful there, if you go around smelling of elderberries you may end up having children with a hamster in medieval England.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 22 October 2016, 18:27
<3>

Here is a homeopathic suggestion for when you start getting flu symptoms. I encourage you to research this suggestion for yourself before trying it. I am not a doctor and am only passing this information along as it was provided to me by an HHP. Consult with your primary care physician before trying this home remedy.

FWIW, I haven't been to the doctor for illness in many years, I usually go for broken bones of some sort, or other injury, but not illness. "Flu season" comes on when it does because of the body's shortened exposure to sunlight during the winter months, which causes a further shortage of Vitamin D which most people are already deficient in. Along with boosting your daily intake of Vitamin D to offset the lack of sunlight, the following is how to use Vitamin D to knock out the flu as soon as you start experiencing symptoms. Furthermore, you cannot OD on Vitamin D.

Vitamin D comes in I.U.'s (International Units) the following dosage formula is to be taken as one massive dose, once a day, for 3 days straight when flu symptoms begin

For every pound of body weight you will need to take 1,000 IU of Vitamin D. I weigh 205, so I would take 205,000 IU of Vitamin D as a single dose, once a day, for 3 days.

I also can't remember the last time I had a flu shot, I think it was when I was a kid, unless the Army made us get them and I don't remember.

Consult with your doctor before trying this remedy as other existing health issues may not permit the intake of large quantities of Vitamin D.
Old 5 October 2018, 09:37
Been There Done That

Just a reminder. Free flu shots at Walgreens if you present your VA Health Card. That time of year. Received mine at Walgreens this morning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5 October 2018, 10:35
Confirmed User

Apparently my insurance provides for a free flu shot with CVS/Target and along with the shot they gave me $5 in Target bucks which I blew on beer.

I haven't gotten a flu shot in years but got really sick a couple months back and figured anything that could help prevent any additional stuff couldn't hurt.
Old 6 October 2018, 00:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
Here is a homeopathic suggestion for when you start getting flu symptoms.

For every pound of body weight you will need to take 1,000 IU of Vitamin D. I weigh 205, so I would take 205,000 IU of Vitamin D as a single dose, once a day, for 3 days.
Can someone educate me how Vitamin D can defeat a virus? I feel like I'm missing a piece of this puzzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Just a reminder. Free flu shots at Walgreens if you present your VA Health Card. That time of year. Received mine at Walgreens this morning.
Work makes us get the flu shot every year. I never get the flu. I wonder if there's any connection.
Old 6 October 2018, 04:07
Divides by zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Can someone educate me how Vitamin D can defeat a virus? I feel like I'm missing a piece of this puzzle.
I'm no MD, but I believe it is about prevention of viruses, not defeating them.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3308600/
Old 6 October 2018, 08:37
Confirmed User

I liken the flu shot to the AMR CPR standards that are changed every year or 2, its about money. If they come out with a shot that guarantees take this shot you'll never get the flu again with out any side affects, Ill get the flu shot. Until then, Ill roll the dice just like the CDC does on predicting next years flu strain.
Old 6 October 2018, 09:47
Confirmed User

How long is the vaccine effective for?

Suppose I get the shot this year and the actual strain is different than the vaccine but next season the strain is the same, are you covered?

As I understand it the flu virus has many strains, are all of these strains variations/mutations of each other and that is what the CDC tries to figure out?
Old 6 October 2018, 09:57
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post

Work makes us get the flu shot every year. I never get the flu. I wonder if there's any connection.
It's about strengthening the immune system in modernity - we were designed to get ~10,000iu's/day from sunlight when we evolved around the equator - we haven't changed much (if at all) in 200,000 years. We also get "cancer" all the time - our (healthy) immune system (innate and acquired) just kills it. Interestingly, vaccines only target the "acquired" sub-system, true "herd immunity" can only come from actually getting sick.

Correlation isn't causation - I never get a "flu shot" and I too have not had influenza since Dec of 2009. According to the CDC on 2017/18 effectiveness:

Quote:
The overall vaccine effectiveness (VE) of the 2017-2018 flu vaccine against both influenza A and B viruses is estimated to be 40%
Things that strengthen the immune system are no surprise - healthy diet, exercise, sleep.
Old 6 October 2018, 18:54
Never to old to learn

I got my Flu shot, also take L-LYsine which the body fight off Flu etc.

Our new posting rules