SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 8 September 2018, 20:50
Been There Done That

Post 9/11 GI Bill question

If a veteran enroll in a public university, do they have to pay tuition and fees up front - then wait til their VA paperwork gets approved and then gets reimbursed?

Once started does tuition payments go straight to the university or to the student to pay?

How long once initial start does it take to get reimbursed, payments start coming in. I assume living expenses are back paid to start of enrollment?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 September 2018, 21:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
If a veteran enroll in a public university, do they have to pay tuition and fees up front - then wait til their VA paperwork gets approved and then gets reimbursed?

Once started does tuition payments go straight to the university or to the student to pay?

How long once initial start does it take to get reimbursed, payments start coming in. I assume living expenses are back paid to start of enrollment?
Depends on the University, but typically up-front payment not required.

Straight to the University.

Varies. And yes.
Old 8 September 2018, 21:44
Authorized Personnel

I used ALL of my GI Bill at Norwich (MA History) and Germanna Community College (AAS Police Science) and they were both extremely helpful in the process. I would reach out to the veteran's office of the school you intend to study with and I'm sure they'll get you on track. With Germanna, they had me out the door, enrolled in class, with my GI benefits transferred over, in 45 minutes.

For both, I paid nothing upfront. The school submitted all the required paperwork directly to the VA to get the process rolling. The VA paid tuition directly to the school and sent me my housing allowance and book money by check at first, then via direct deposit. It was probably 4-5 weeks before I started getting my housing and book allowances. I do not know how long it took for the school to get the tuition payments; that part of the process was completely transparent to me.

Where are you looking at going to school? Indiana has a great adult education program and I think Purdue is trying to grow theirs. You can't go wrong with degrees from either school.
Old 8 September 2018, 22:01
Been There Done That

Asking for another veteran friend of mine - something is off in what he is telling me in how the local community college is handeling it for him.

As for me, no intentions of going back to school. Already have my Masters and not in the mood to get my Doctorate. Plus, I used up all my GI bill for my undergrad degree at Purdue years ago. ; )

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"

Last edited by leopardprey; 8 September 2018 at 22:10.
Old 8 September 2018, 22:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
As for me, no intentions of going back to school. Already have my Masters and not in the mood to get my Doctorate. Plus, I used up all my GI bill for my undergrad degree years ago. ; )
Ah, I didn't know this part. I figured you were getting a PhD in martial arts.

Old 8 September 2018, 23:50
Confirmed User

I used the old GI Bill and the Post 9/11 and didn't pay anything up front. It did take till after Thanksgiving on multiple occasions for my funding to hit, but the university never said anything.
Old 9 September 2018, 08:01
Authorized Personnel

I've actually got very up-to-date info on this! I jumped back into school 30 days ago, and it's a busy time of year for the VA's GI Bill processors.

- Nothing paid upfront other than books

- Payments go directly to the school, you just have to provide the school with your certificate of eligibility so that they can coordinate with the VA

- If you go to ebenefits.va.gov - login - "manage" - "status tracking" - "Post-9/11 GI Bill Enrollment Status" ---- He can check the status to see if the VA is processing everything.

- It took 24 days (they estimate 30) for my enrollment to show up on ebenefits. One week after, I began receiving my housing allowance and book stipend. So all in all, it took about 30 days from the time the school sent the verification of my enrollment to the VA, to the time that I began receiving payments. I was able to attend classes during that time as well, I just had to pony up a bit of money for books.
Old 9 September 2018, 10:39
Confirmed User

They shouldn't ask for anything up front. My Spidey senses tells me at best they are in the process of getting approved for the GI Bill but are not yet.
Old 10 September 2018, 13:52
Calix Meus Inebrians

In 2014-2016, my school had me submit for a "veterans deferment" on my class fees, as their policy was to have those accounts paid (in cash or through a student loan) before classes started. The deferment was the school recognizing the VA will pay them, they just wait for a few weeks into the semester to make sure it's needed in case a veteran drops the class in the grace period where you don't get charged. It was as simple as a few clicks on a website to acknowledge that I was ultimately responsible for the costs if the VA didn't pay for whatever reason.

My account showed a negative balance during that time with the deferment noted, but once the VA opened the funds, the balance was brought to $0.00, or only what I owed for other things I charged to my student account. The fees for classes were paid directly to the school, and credited to my account. It was a very smooth process.

Our new posting rules