SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 25 August 2018, 14:06

Fairy tale gone bad | AKA John Bobbitt Thread

He is obviously on the wrong side of heaven
http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/b...-20180823.html
Old 25 August 2018, 14:49
Custom User Title

Well that's surprising.
Old 25 August 2018, 15:10
Confirmed User

So basically the same end result as most other individuals who stumble onto a large sum amount of money? I'm always amazed the vast majority of people don't expect this as the end result.
Old 25 August 2018, 17:36
Swimming Upstream

This is the problem with GoFundme. No way to ensure funds go to the recipient
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 25 August 2018, 19:05
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
"He will never have to worry about a roof over his head again!!" the couple posted on GoFundMe as they thanked "everyone who had a part of this amazing ride."
Wait, not so fast...

Quote:
Not long after, tensions were simmering. The promise of a home gave way to a camper that Bobbitt lived in until June on land McClure's family owns in rural Florence Township...
Quote:
Bobbitt wonders how McClure, a receptionist for the New Jersey Department of Transportation, paid for the new BMW she drives and for vacations to California, Florida, and Las Vegas, as well as a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. He also questions how much D'Amico, a carpenter, spent gambling.
I guess no good deed goes unpunished. I'm talking about Bobbitt's good deed, not the McLure couple.

Bottom line, if he wanted to blow the money on some lost weekend bender, that should have been up to him. It's pretty clear that the McClure's strung this guy along, once they saw what a cash cow his story had become. I especially like the part where she thanks everyone involved who "had a part in this amazing ride".

I guess she was referring to her new Beemer and the helicopter excursion.

Last edited by Spinner; 25 August 2018 at 19:13.
Old 25 August 2018, 19:07
Confirmed User

Could not read the article, though I haven't been on Philly Enquirer before. I read about it the other day on Fox. They said they are holding the money until he is off drugs, which sounds like a good idea to me. If he already blew through $200g no reason to give him the rest if they're really trying to help him.

If it turns out the couple kept the money, completely different story. Apparently they have a newer BMW now but still work modest jobs.

A shit show any way you look at it.
Old 25 August 2018, 19:16

I don't think he blew through $200,000, I think they did.

They basically just gave him a shitty little camper to live in for awhile, on their property, and a used vehicle that quickly broke down.

It's definitely a he said/she said situation, but I have a feeling that most of the money has not gone to Bobbitt, and if D'Amico used $500 of it to gamble one night, more than likely he tapped into it again for the same purpose.

Guess this one will wind up in court.
Old 25 August 2018, 19:31
Confirmed User

The article I read wasn't too clear on who spent what. They did quote the D'amico guy saying they gave Bobbitt a bunch and he blew though it on drugs.

Whatever happens, it'll be a lesson in charitable giving. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Old 25 August 2018, 19:36

D'amico has been pretty cagey about where the balance of the money is, and has also stated that he'd just as soon burn it in front of Bobbitt before he gave it to him.

Sounds like somebody who'd just as soon keep his mitts on the cash.
Old 25 August 2018, 21:16
Moving Target

I wouldnt give a drug addict a dime until he got clean. I dont see why he hasn't been in a VA hospital, drug rehab program. I think the guy is just another scumbag looking for a free ride.
Old 25 August 2018, 22:45
Authorized Personnel

If that dude wanted to pay a midget $10k to blow $190,000 worth of coke up his ass, his choice.

That couple sounds shady as fuck.

How was the guy looking for a free ride? The couple used his name and act of kindness to get free money.
Old 25 August 2018, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcolt13 View Post
I wouldnt give a drug addict a dime until he got clean. I dont see why he hasn't been in a VA hospital, drug rehab program. I think the guy is just another scumbag looking for a free ride.
How is it that Bobbitt is the scumbag?

If anything, if the way I'm reading it is true, then it's the McClures who are scumbags, not Bobbitt. I don't know if Bobbitt will ever get another dime of the money that was raised on his behalf, but if the McClures have been using the money for their own purposes then I'd say they've committed an act of fraud against the people who donated to the go fund me account in the first place.

Don't forget, this down on his luck scumbag got the ball rolling on this whole thing by giving the female half of this couple his last $20 so she could get some gas. Who knows, maybe getting the gas money was just the start of the scam, and she never even used that for its intended purpose either. That's always been a pretty common scam all over the country. Perhaps McClure just saw an easy mark and decided to take further advantage of him.

As for his drug use, that's immaterial. If they raised money for him, then the money should go to him.

Another possibility to consider is that all three of them were part of the scam to begin with, if indeed it is a scam. It has all the earmarks. McClure and D'amico maybe are just trying to keep his end of the loot, and he's doing what he can to get it without revealing his role.

Last edited by Spinner; 25 August 2018 at 23:15.
Old 26 August 2018, 12:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
How is it that Bobbitt is the scumbag?...

As for his drug use, that's immaterial. If they raised money for him, then the money should go to him.

Another possibility to consider is that all three of them were part of the scam to begin with, if indeed it is a scam. It has all the earmarks. McClure and D'amico maybe are just trying to keep his end of the loot, and he's doing what he can to get it without revealing his role.
I hardly think that so many people just donated money so some homeless veteran could get high and keep on the streets.

Indeed if all the above is true and it turns out to be a scam then they should set about returning as much of that money as possible. But we all know that isn't going to happen.
Old 26 August 2018, 12:45
Swimming Upstream

If I gave 100.00 to a guy then I want it to go to him, NOT to the people who used his name to benefit themselves. What he does with it is what he does with it. It's fraud to raise money on behalf of another person...and then keep it yourself.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 26 August 2018, 13:57
I still think I'm fooling everyone

So...IMHO...

The couple helped raise money for Bobbitt.
Bobbitt case ended up with 400000$ on GoFundMe.
Who was the person for whom the money was raised? Bobbitt.
Did people who sent donations donate for the couple or Bobbitt? Bobbitt.
Who should get the money? Bobbitt.
What does the couple have to do with this except for making him go public? nothing.
He could give them some $$$ as a gesture of goodwill but that's all and it's for him to decide.
It's not their money, not by any stretch.

Once you start doing what they did you'll end up in a shady area. Maybe their intentions were noble. Maybe they really tried to help him out. However, it looks to me like they liked the smell of money. I mean, 400000$ is not necessarily a sum you'd flush down the toilet. And even if it turns out it was not the case the stain will be there.

If I were in the same situation I'd give the money to Bobbitt and try to help him out with his life, but I wouldn't lay my hand on one cent of this dough. He wants to throw it all away, his call.

Or maybe being a good Samaritan turned out to be a paid service all of a sudden?
Old 26 August 2018, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I hardly think that so many people just donated money so some homeless veteran could get high and keep on the streets.

Indeed if all the above is true and it turns out to be a scam then they should set about returning as much of that money as possible. But we all know that isn't going to happen.
I doubt they did either.

My guess is most people donated small amounts, probably along the lines of the $20 that Bobbitt gave her to begin with, perhaps a number of them also added to that amount in the spirit of "and here's a little extra to recognize your good deed". I think their donations were more about recognizing Bobbitt's good act and wanting to do something to help/reward him for it, not with some grand purpose of saving some drug addicted Vet.

In the end, the money was raised for Bobbitt's benefit and use, not the McClures. Everything I've read about the story so far seems to indicate that when they saw how much money was coming in, they just couldn't find the heart to part with it. They gave scraps to Bobbitt in the form of some camper (I'm betting it was some shitty used one) and an older car that broke down, along with a token payment of $25,000.

The rest appears to have gone to them, and it appears they've used it to take vacations, gamble and in the woman's case, buy a new BMW. I doubt she ever has owned a car half as nice, nor could she ever afford it, not on the salary that a public servant receptionist makes.

Like I said in an earlier post, no good deed goes unpunished. Maybe somebody should start another go fund me for Bobbitt using the theme that he is the victim of a go fund me scam.

Last edited by Spinner; 26 August 2018 at 15:12.
Old 26 August 2018, 15:11
Anesthetized User

My opinion:

Drugs, veteran, homeless, etc, who cares.

Those two set up up a process to raise money for the homeless guy.

Then chose to not give it to him.

Who the fuck are they to decide to withhold funds they supposedly raised for the guy?

This is why I aways treated addicts in pain with MS04. It is not my place to judge, it is my place to help. Right, wrong, indifferent.

Your actions sustain your words.

To echo Spinner, I think they sold this pile of shit to the public under the guise of helping.

More needs to come to light before further judgement.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 26 August 2018, 15:33
Authorized Personnel

It's been said that every man has a price.
Old 26 August 2018, 15:41

This tale is as old as history, and movies have used it as a central theme since they started making movies.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Goodfellas, the list goes on. I remember a line from Goodfellas where Henry Hill talks about Jimmy the Gent's motivation for killing all the guys who were in on the Lufthansa heist and it basically came down to him not wanting to share any of the loot.
Old 26 August 2018, 17:06
Confirmed User

I'm going to play devils advocate and say give the couple a chance. If I were the conservator, I would also buy him a used camper to make the money last.

As for the car, my admin just got a 2016 328i(car looks brand new) for 16k. She did 5yr financing at 7% since she has shit credit and pays $300 a month.

Our new posting rules