SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Closed Thread

Old 20 July 2018, 19:33
Been There Done That

What does the jobs pay?

I know Contractor Jobs were big money a few years ago but what does it pay now? Is it really worth it to go to the middle of no where and work? I am sure there are still some big money gigs with great tax benefits around. But I bet there are not too many of them left.
Old 21 July 2018, 13:05
Authorized Personnel

The question is pretty broad. Different gigs pay different rates. I think currently you can still make $600+/day on the high end, or $160/day on the low.

Short version...I'm glad I stopped when I did.
Old 21 July 2018, 15:00
Administrator

Yep. Depends on the company, which task order, what job you're doing, quals etc.

A Para on the right task order makes a bundle.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 July 2018, 15:25
exquisitus asinus

^^^ what they said ^^^

I know of contracts where annual pay is sub $60K.. I know of others where the pay is north of $150K.. for very similar work.. but in very different locations, with very different government customers..

A lot depends on the location, the company, the contract, and the end user of the services...

There are still a few gigs out there where annual pay can get close to the $200K range..

But they are very few and far between.. and you likely have to "know someone" to even get your resume looked at..
Old 21 July 2018, 20:32
Been There Done That

Walmart would be better...

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Wal...5_D_KO8,23.htm
Old 21 July 2018, 23:27
Policeman Officer

I'm mostly out of the loop these days as it's been a while for me and most of my American peers. I did spend all day today with a buddy who spent about eight years on some high end government contracts. He told me that while his specific program had maintained high rates most of the other ones had nose dived pretty significantly, required far more time deployed, etc. I'm quite happy to be done. I'm not saying don't do it, just know exactly what you're getting into which of course you can find out from these guys right here.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 22 July 2018, 06:03
Been There Done That

Off the top of my head, unless you have a current TS/SCI/Poly, and anywhere between 8-20+ years of SOF experience, you are looking at making less than $700/day for any security-related work.

If you have an active TS/SCI/Poly...AND you are in with the right people...AND have the skills they're looking for...AND there's an opening....you can still make north of $200k/year abroad. Easily.

To be honest, I'm seeing so much work domestically now, especially security work (EP, RST, Physical Security, Infosec etc) in the SFBA that pays $75k-200k/year, I have to wonder why anyone would want to be abroad for $500/day.

I did it for ten years. Each year I made more than the year before, so I had a good run in those terms, but I see guys who are way less qualified than I am, who did the same ten years CONUS...and they're making close to $200k/base.

Wouldn't trade my experiences for theirs but the money is stateside.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 22 July 2018, 06:52

I can only speak for K9 on the WPS contracts and you’re looking at anywhere from 415-600 as a handler depending on the company and which TO’s. From what I’ve see. For strictly PSS it’s around 400 +/- 25.
Old 22 July 2018, 07:33
Been There Done That

To anyone reading this thread and may not realize, there is a deep real world contract operational and executive management knowledge commenting in this thread. I want to use the word, "unmatched".

My suggestion would be to heed the advice accordingly.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 22 July 2018, 08:39
Confirmed User

Anyone know what current PSS/AEMT rate is? I asked my recruiter, he said same as before but I doubt $600+ is still going on.
Old 22 July 2018, 08:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
Anyone know what current PSS/AEMT rate is? I asked my recruiter, he said same as before but I doubt $600+ is still going on.
Depends on which task order you are working on. Taking the step and going Para would be a good pay bump for you across the board.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 22 July 2018, 09:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
As far as I know, all WPS2 task orders require Paramedic and they are getting rid of AEMT. You have to have a NREMT and a state cert is no longer valid. A buddy of mine with 8 years WPS Medic experience and a nurse can't even get a WPS/PARA position because he has a state paramedic cert.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 22 July 2018, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
As far as I know, all WPS2 task orders require Paramedic and they are getting rid of AEMT. You have to have a NREMT and a state cert is no longer valid. A buddy of mine with 8 years WPS Medic experience and a nurse can't even get a WPS/PARA position because he has a state paramedic cert.
I’ve heard that quite a few times about the AEMT, however we have several here that are under WPSII, and they’re still posting for AEMT’s.
Old 22 July 2018, 17:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post

There are PSS and NPSS positions for both EMT-P and AEMT under WPS 2. Requirements in the SOW under Section J, Attachment 1, sec 2.6.2- 2.6.6

This gives each TO the flexibility to get (read: pay for) the lowest level of experience deemed absolutely necessary for that position.
Old 23 July 2018, 01:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
There are PSS and NPSS positions for both EMT-P and AEMT under WPS 2. Requirements in the SOW under Section J, Attachment 1, sec 2.6.2- 2.6.6

This gives each TO the flexibility to get (read: pay for) the lowest level of experience deemed absolutely necessary for that position.
Is this task order specific?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 23 July 2018, 05:50

Anyone here on the Triple canopy Kabul contract?
Old 23 July 2018, 08:12
Administrator

If you have questions about a specific company or TO, start a thread or add to one on that subj.

We don't do everything goes threads here.

Closed
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules