SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 26 June 2015, 13:31
Been There Done That

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsmasher View Post
The fact that this sentence reads like something that a Hedge Fund Manager would say should tell you everything you need to know about who exactly is running the Air Force these days.
And here we thought that the USAF had "divested" itself of shitbaggery like TQM. Where did that go?
Old 26 June 2015, 19:38
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCOM View Post
I'm trying to think of a good Chuck Norris meme involving the A-10 Warthog.....

Chuck Norris Fights for the A-10 Warthog

http://freebeacon.com/national-secur...-a-10-warthog/

Chuck Norris is taking on the fight of his life. Rather than fighting ninjas or mercenaries, heís will wrangle with a truly formidable foe: the military budgeting process.

In his latest column the world-renowned action star is standing up for a world-renowned military aircraft. The A-10 Warthog, which the U.S. Air Force has long turned to for close air support, is in danger of being retired from service. Thatís something Chuck Norris does not want to see.

Rest of story at above link.
This makes perfect sense, seeing as the A-10 is the Chuck Norris of CAS.
Old 29 August 2015, 09:58
Been There Done That

Pentagon Will Test F-35 Against A-10

USAF staff have tried to kill the A-10 since about 1990. The F-22/F-35 programs have been consuming the USAF budget. It's about damn time this fly-off put the issue to rest.....

Pentagon Will Test F-35 Against A-10

http://www.pogo.org/our-work/straus-...5-vs-a-10.html

At the heart of the Air Force’s plans to retire the A-10 is the question of whether the F-35 can take over the close air support mission. So far, there has been significant doubt that the F-35 will be able to provide the same or better close air support to troops in the meantime. Congress and independent auditors have roundly rejected the Air Force’s plan based on these doubts. Now, the Department of Defense, heeding the advice of POGO’s Center for Defense Information and others, plans to test the F-35 against the A-10 for close air support missions.

Rest of article at above link.
Old 29 August 2015, 10:37
Been There Done That

Pay attention to the definitions of success. Those will tell you who will win.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 29 August 2015, 14:33
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

As I recall it was on the chopping block even before the Gulf War and won a reprieve after its performance there.

They'll eventually kill it, it doesn't have enough bells, whistles and shiny stuff on it to satisfy the brass, nor does it generate the kind of defense related spending that congressmen like to bring home to their districts.
Old 29 August 2015, 14:59

The fly-off between the two airframes will be interesting enough to watch. However, do not be surprised if the test results are written out in detail first. Once that is accomplished, the test can be written to support the results. It is all Psychometrics; AKA How to lie with statistics. It was taught in college in the early 1970s.
Old 29 August 2015, 19:28
Old and Broke

Part of the problem is USAF's belief that CAS can be accomplished with SDB, ignoring the fact that CAS sometimes involves a gun-run.
Old 31 August 2015, 09:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. View Post
The fly-off between the two airframes will be interesting enough to watch. However, do not be surprised if the test results are written out in detail first. Once that is accomplished, the test can be written to support the results. It is all Psychometrics; AKA How to lie with statistics. It was taught in college in the early 1970s.
The test is being directed by the office of the Secretary of Defense over the objection of the Air Force leadership. I don't think the AF testers are going to get away with gaming the evaluation although they will probably try their best. From what I read an Air Force General was already starting the quibbling game with the future results. The DoD Director of Test & Evaluation has also directed the Navy to conduct a shock test on the new first of class Gerald Ford carrier which is also delayed and over budget. The Navy wants to delay this until they can conduct it on the next carrier is completely built so they're objecting. It's nice to see the DoD testers standing up and doing their jobs.
Old 31 August 2015, 09:44
A/1/75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN View Post
Part of the problem is USAF's belief that CAS can be accomplished with SDB, ignoring the fact that CAS sometimes involves a gun-run.
Got to keep them at 10,000 AGL to keep them safe!

Charlie
Old 31 August 2015, 11:30
Authorized Personnel

As an AF QT Engineer I will be watching this "fly off" with great interest...

But I think SN hit it on the head... the "Aircraft" will be bomb trucks carrying the PGMs to their Launch Acceptable Regions, and letting them fly...

I would PERSONALLY never use an SDB if I could help it (either version, I Like BIG BOOMS in my CAS).

I can't see them measuring "Strafe Ability" or "Tight Turns" or "in the weeds", as the A-10 owns those maneuvers...

They will skew the test toward F-35 strengths and A-10 weaknesses...

comparing Gen 5 to Gen 4 Aircraft should be a foul in and of itself!

I'm sure "Stealth Ability" will rank high on the scale of "Important" on this test, whereas in CAS, Stealth isn't even on the RADAR... It's replaced with "In the weeds" flying and Nap of the Earth maneuvers...
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 31 August 2015, 11:36
In Vino Veritas

In light of this thread I'm going to leave this right here
Old 31 August 2015, 11:54
Authorized Personnel

Gotta Love the Duffle! LOL

Thanks - I'm "borrowing" that for when they do release the Test Plan...
HK

Sometimes you just gotta hoist the Jolly Roger and start slittin' throats!
Old 31 August 2015, 12:16
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
In light of this thread I'm going to leave this right here
Best line of the whole article:

Quote:
Lockheed officials have separately downplayed reports that the same F-35, flown by the same pilot, previously lost mock dogfights with the Goodyear Blimp and a beagle on a flying doghouse.

Read more: http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/08/f-35-loses-dogfight-to-red-baron/#ixzz3kPTozRGN

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 30 September 2015, 17:48
Been There Done That

Thumbs up Congress Issues Air Force Sharp Rebuke, Bars A-10 Retirement

The final version of the 2016 defense Bill was released yesterday, and it contains more bad news for the Air Staff: barring a Presidential veto, the A-10 isn’t going anywhere for a while. In a sign of the absurdity of the moment, this is good news for basically everyone else, most of all ground troops engaged in dispersed combat and the airmen committed to providing them with dependable, competent overwatch.

H.R.1735 - National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/1735

This final conference version of the Bill is expected to sail through Congressional approval in both chambers — though opposition can’t be completely ruled out — and make its way to the White House for signature, where it is unlikely to trigger a veto and even less likely to trigger one on these grounds.
Old 22 January 2016, 03:25
Calix Meus Inebrians

All it took was a protracted air campaign against ISIS to get the powers that be to embrace a modicum of common sense. The Air Force FY 2017 budget will not contain any requests to cut, kill, or otherwise reduce capacity of A-10's.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...inst-ISIS.html
Old 22 January 2016, 14:05
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
All it took was a protracted air campaign against ISIS to get the powers that be to embrace a modicum of common sense. The Air Force FY 2017 budget will not contain any requests to cut, kill, or otherwise reduce capacity of A-10's.

Im glad to hear it. The A10 is a very affective weapon and a big support to ground troops. I loved seeing them over my head.
Old 22 January 2016, 14:49
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post

That's just BRRRRRRAAAAAPPPPPP diplomacy

Our new posting rules