SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 23 January 2016, 10:45
Been There Done That

The storm and snow (which I understand is a part of "winter," and apparently occurs in yearly cycles) will be blamed for anything negative for the next three months, particularly economic data. Just watch.
Old 23 January 2016, 10:59
Confirmed User

"Astronomical high tide" is not hyperbole. It is generally a reference to the additional gravitational pull provided by the position of the sun when the gravitational pull of the moon creates the high tide. That alignment causes a higher-than-normal-high-tide.
Old 23 January 2016, 11:13
The Sagacious One

Only a dusting here and it came a few days ago. Finally got my tractor running.

Now...... how do we tie this to global warming????????
Old 23 January 2016, 11:18
Preparing to defend

Flurries and sleet in western SAV area. Snowmen being built in Rincon and Augusta, GA. Sister reports flurries SW of JAX (Middleburg).
Old 23 January 2016, 11:31
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Concur. From the ages of 12-14 I delivered newspapers every morning before school in shit like this. My dad told me that if the wind chill was colder than -30 he would drive me. If not, I was walking it. No such thing as "Snowmagedon" in those days.

Same here, I had a route with about 75 houses, and at the same age, but my dad never drove me, as East TN didn't get THAT cold.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 January 2016, 11:31
Important nobody

Supposed to get 12-18 around these parts today, maybe more. We are about 45 miles N of Philly. Tracked further North than expected. Fortunately I got a free 80's vintage Ariens snowblower last year from my neighbor. Inherited two from his dad. Got it running with little effort. We'll all clear properties tomorrow.
Old 23 January 2016, 11:33
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperpusher View Post
"Astronomical high tide" is not hyperbole. It is generally a reference to the additional gravitational pull provided by the position of the sun when the gravitational pull of the moon creates the high tide. That alignment causes a higher-than-normal-high-tide.
You are describing a spring tide, which is a normal, cyclic occurrence.

Check your dictionary. "Astronomical," as used, means, "extremely large; exceedingly great; enormous..."

It was clearly hyperbole in the context used.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 23 January 2016, 12:55
Been There Done That

2 feet and counting here at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains...shovel, plow with the tractor, drink beverages. Repeat as necessary until spring.
Old 23 January 2016, 13:16
Did...did I do that?

Friend of mine in east Columbus (OH) was complaining because they put down the brine solution on the roads (like they do with every predicted snowfall up there, then the snow didn't hit. He'd have been griping if they hadn't, and had gotten the snow. I guess there's a fairly distinct line in Ohio for the snow. SE is getting it, but Columbus is not.

Billdawg24, i was at Fort McClellan for MP OSUT in 11/86-3/89. We got snowed on twice down there. An inch the first, and 2.5 the second when we were out on bivouac. They wouldn't bring the cattle cars out to get us because of teh safety risks. So instead of having the 88M drive the trucks, they marched a bunch of us to the bivvy motor pool and we picked up enough brand-new Humvees to carry everyone back, driven by brand-new privates with less than 8 weeks in-service.

They also wouldn't bring hot chow out in a 5-ton, so our CO went and drew MREs for us. In his 2WD Ford Ranger.
Old 23 January 2016, 13:26
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Same here, I had a route with about 75 houses, and at the same age, but my dad never drove me, as East TN didn't get THAT cold.
I also had a paper route growing up in Upstate New York and I used a Flexible Flyer to haul the papers when it was snowing or sleeting. My dad never offered and I never, ever, thought to ask. Of course he was the guy who picked me up in his car one day after work when I was hobbling home with a 2" shard of glass in my leg. I had landed on a broken bottle while playing football. When we arrived at the house, he asked me whether I wanted to eat dinner now or go straight to the hospital at West Point. My poor mother was freaking out, seeing her baby with a bloody pant leg, but I decided to show Dad how tough I was and said, "lets eat." Rumor is that he might actually have smiled at that response.
Old 23 January 2016, 13:27
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Friend of mine in east Columbus (OH) was complaining because they put down the brine solution on the roads (like they do with every predicted snowfall up there, then the snow didn't hit. He'd have been griping if they hadn't, and had gotten the snow. I guess there's a fairly distinct line in Ohio for the snow. SE is getting it, but Columbus is not.

Billdawg24, i was at Fort McClellan for MP OSUT in 11/86-3/89. We got snowed on twice down there. An inch the first, and 2.5 the second when we were out on bivouac. They wouldn't bring the cattle cars out to get us because of teh safety risks. So instead of having the 88M drive the trucks, they marched a bunch of us to the bivvy motor pool and we picked up enough brand-new Humvees to carry everyone back, driven by brand-new privates with less than 8 weeks in-service.

They also wouldn't bring hot chow out in a 5-ton, so our CO went and drew MREs for us. In his 2WD Ford Ranger.
Sounds like good leadership to me.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 23 January 2016, 14:06
Confirmed User

I'm south of Nashville in Franklin. We got blasted pretty good yesterday. The roads were F'd last night
Old 23 January 2016, 14:30
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Well, there is something positive about the storms out east.

They're not happening here.

I agree with several of the posters, it's winter and it's not as if none of us have never seen snow before, including large amounts of it.

The media has to sensationalize it, just like they do everything else. The '67 storm that paralyzed Chicago was a bit of a freakish occurrence as far as timing went, as well as how much snow fell in a short period of time (a lot).

But forecasting was still pretty crude back then. At this point, people have almost a week to prepare, so it's not as if it's some big surprise. Still, a blizzard is still hazardous in many respects, so proceed with caution, or better yet don't proceed at all. Just stay in.

And those videos of them clearing the mountain passes is really something. Plowing a city street is one thing, but plowing along a mountain pass where the drop off is hundreds of feet on your drivers side is something else.
Old 23 January 2016, 15:46
Preparing to defend

Paper route in winter. Damn, harsh memories. I, too, had a route in E. Tn. during summer and winter. Once. Winter broke me. All as done on foot on snow days, or on a bike during non snow. Winter sucked.
Old 23 January 2016, 16:01
Been There Done That

I can't believe we got a half inch of ice coating everything here, to the point where Leeland Cyprus trees are literally bent in half and leaning on top of my roof, the normally head high shrubs in my yard look like a giant stepped on them, and we didn't lose power. Kudos to the power people, or to the Gods of probability, whichever is applicable
19 Oct 2017
Old 23 January 2016, 16:08
Confirmed User

Florida here. There is no snow, but the wind is blowing and that makes it pretty cold. Nothing compared to some of you, though.
Old 23 January 2016, 16:40
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Paper route in winter..... I, too had a route
Northern Alberta. Little town called Ft. McMurray. I don't remember how many stops I had, 35-40? But its -20 all the wintertime, plus wind chill. You aren't pulling a wagon either, canvas shoulder bag. Dress appropriately....

Good training for the Infantry.

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 23 January 2016, 16:59
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Over 20" so far.
Took the Rubicon out to play.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 23 January 2016, 17:03
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
You are describing a spring tide, which is a normal, cyclic occurrence.

Check your dictionary. "Astronomical," as used, means, "extremely large; exceedingly great; enormous..."

It was clearly hyperbole in the context used.
Not a sharp response. Spring tide is in the middle range, neap tide is minimal, high tide is "normal" and astronomical is as I stated.

Last edited by Paperpusher; 23 January 2016 at 17:04. Reason: spelling
Old 23 January 2016, 17:23
All Labs Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Same here, I had a route with about 75 houses, and at the same age, but my dad never drove me...
same... and then would shovel driveways for
$5 each.

no longer see kids walking the streets with shovels looking to work... neighbor offered a high school kid $50 to shovel her mothers driveway. Response was "I don't shovel driveways".

Our new posting rules