SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 25 January 2016, 16:26

Stolen Valor act repealed??

Can anyone please shed some light on this? I am a Vet, and don't have much on medals or decorations but what I do have I earned and now they say its ok to wear or say you earned medals you didn't? Please tell me this is just scuttlebutt!!
Old 25 January 2016, 19:53
Authorized Personnel

Not sure why you put this in the SEAL forum. As for the topic, it's not against the law to purchase or wear medals. If you're not doing it to financially defraud others, it is not illegal.
Old 25 January 2016, 19:54
Confirmed User

This is from Wikipedia. First Amendment trumps all, no matter how stupid.

In United States v. Alvarez the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on June 28, 2012, that the Stolen Valor Act was an unconstitutional abridgment of the freedom of speech under the First Amendment, striking down the law in a 6 to 3 decision.
Old 25 January 2016, 20:19
Administrator

Moved to the Lounge

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 25 January 2016, 20:27
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Not sure why you put this in the SEAL forum. As for the topic, it's not against the law to purchase or wear medals. If you're not doing it to financially defraud others, it is not illegal.
Curious if the slightest transgression could be prosecuted on this, in an instance where one merely gets a free cup of coffee at the local gas station because of false medals worn. Does an ill-gained dollar cross the line, or is a certain minimum required?
Old 25 January 2016, 20:32
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
Curious if the slightest transgression could be prosecuted on this, in an instance where one merely gets a free cup of coffee at the local gas station because of false medals worn. Does an ill-gained dollar cross the line, or is a certain minimum required?
I don't know what the legal thresholds are, but I assume it's tied to any other kind of fraud.
Old 25 January 2016, 20:46

well I put in the SEAL forum because it seems to be the biggest topic in Stolen Valor....I mean why even go after fake SEALs and SF guys if they aren't doing it for some sort of money gain. I mean I don't know of too many people who use stolen valor to say they were a Navy Cook.....
Old 25 January 2016, 20:50

guess i should have said "is it illegal to wear a SEAL trident now" so i wouldn't be in the wrong room. Sorry I put in a SEAL forum lol.....I shall take my lashes :) sorry to offend you CV
Old 25 January 2016, 20:52
Authorized Personnel

Many of the stolen valor investigations stemmed from those who were illegally obtaining VA benefits.

As to when an idiot decides to claim some type of stolen valor for his benefit, it ultimately comes down to the prosecutor and what will meet their threshold for prosecution...a free beer or two isn't going to fit.
Old 25 January 2016, 20:55

I agree, i was just unaware that the Stolen Valor act was repealed that's why I asked....It used to be a federal crime now apparently it isn't. As for the gain part. Getting something with fraud has always been a crime they didn't need to make a special one for military medals so again that's why I asked I was confused on the issue.
Old 25 January 2016, 20:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncopperhead View Post
guess i should have said "is it illegal to wear a SEAL trident now" so i wouldn't be in the wrong room. Sorry I put in a SEAL forum lol.....I shall take my lashes :) sorry to offend you CV
I wasn't offended. You just put a generic topic in a forum it didn't belong. I hope our answers have helped out in answering your question.
Old 25 January 2016, 20:57

I used to tell people i found wearing medals or badges they didn't earn to take them off it was a crime lol......guess I better stop.
Old 25 January 2016, 21:00

CV yes it did, im glad to know the truth now. I guess I see both sides of the argument on the issue.
Old 25 January 2016, 23:19
I am into Champagne

I am confused

Yes- no obvious comments about my confusion, please.

In this excellent video- former SEAL Don Shipley mentions that 'title code' has always stated that much of activity associated with 'stolen valor'- wearing of award, insignia is illegal.

The mention is at 1:35 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UBTbqg1sEA

So why are they not simply charged for violation of this section of 'title code'?

However, I do not envision becoming a lawyer, ever- and I am certain that lying to girls that I will 'put in a good word' on their behalf with SOTB even though they fail to meet the 'pinky standard' by a small margin is not a violation of any US law or code.

So if it requires 2 or 3 paragraph of writing- an answer in the form of 'there is a reason, but it is very complicated from the legal standpoint' is sufficient.

I will add it appears that retired SEALs are very similar to the antagonists in classic 'Kung Fu theater' movies- the more hair, and the more white in the shade of the hair- the more danger and cause for great caution. It has been many years since I was at the mercy of a harsh senior NCO due to inexperience or poor judgement- when the SEAL with the white moustache speaks in the calm voice "Did you make that letter" there are almost multiple scan-to-lock RWR tones in my mind. :)

Regards,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
Old 25 January 2016, 23:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncopperhead View Post
well I put in the SEAL forum because it seems to be the biggest topic in Stolen Valor....I mean why even go after fake SEALs and SF guys if they aren't doing it for some sort of money gain. I mean I don't know of too many people who use stolen valor to say they were a Navy Cook.....
Because its about pride. Wearing the uniform, as well as the various pins, scrolls, medals etc. took a lot of hard work and a lot of sacrifice that the fakes were not willing to put in in order to earn the right to wear it. There are numerous reasons why people fake military service besides money. Some people just think their friends and family will think they are cool. In my mind, they are all equally pieces of shit. Id be willing to bet plenty of people make up stories about being a cook in the Navy. Why? Because they expect you wont question it.
Old 26 January 2016, 00:53

havoc no I understand fully. What I mean and maybe I didn't explain myself is that many people who go after Stolen Valor, me included have done so because it was illegal. I understand pride, I wore the uniform in the Navy and as a police officer. I was also a SWAT officer and fully understand pride. I was just meaning that when I posted it in the SEAL forum lol why I did so. It was because much of the Stolen Valor was in the Spec Ops community that is all I was implying. Sorry to confuse everyone. I guess it was more of a venting rage than a question. No I agree with going after and ousting them. The Stolen Valor act in my opinion was a good way to get people to stop trying to impersonate. Now with the fact that they have retracted it (good or bad) it seems to suggest that its ok to slap any medal or award (SEAL or other) and walk down the street. I also understand that your average local college kid in a bar claiming to be from the Special Operations community to pick up chicks isn't a crime....I could agree....stupid but not illegal.

I also don't understand why we have gone from military to Hollywood when it comes to our Special Operations Community. I remember when I was in the Navy and running down helicopter rd at NAB little creek then meeting the guys for a dip in the pool by ST-2. You took pride in service. lol not that I am saying that since I have been out I don't have pride in my service. I guess my rant into all this is its one thing to say something in a bar to pick up a chick but to get in a full dress uniform with medals, ribbons, and badges and walk down the street is not only disrespectful but I was happy to hear it was a federal crime. Now they have said it isn't. That's what I mean, and that is why I find it offensive and very hard to understand. Again sorry

Our new posting rules