SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 27 January 2016, 22:11
Confirmed User

Members of Congress ask VA to allow medical Marijuana use

Seems kind of ironic doesn't it? Spend your entire military career sober and drug free but then use medical Marijuana later if you're suffering.

http://www.abcfoxmontana.com/story/3...ical-marijuana
Old 27 January 2016, 22:15

FWIW, My old man says it was really effective with a lot of returning Nam vets to calm their demons.

I'm for it if it gives relief to those who need it. Anything other than the fucking travesty the VA is doing nowadays with the anti-depressants, etc.
Old 27 January 2016, 22:24
Confirmed User

Gee, if only there were something the Senators could do to change VA policy. Hmmm....
Old 27 January 2016, 22:40
Very Deplorable

Finally they're getting something right.
Far better than the polypharm they've been dispensing forever.
Old 27 January 2016, 22:46
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Finally they're getting something right.
Far better than the polypharm they've been dispensing forever.
Concur. That shit they push on people is often far, far worse,
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 27 January 2016, 22:49
In Vino Veritas

There has been a war on marijuana since...the 30's?

I did my senior thesis looking at the causes of, and treatment of, PTDS from WWI to the GWOT. The two best treatments are support groups and MJ. But unfortunate big pharma can't sell something that a guy can grow in his garage

The good news is depending on your state you can get a "card" and purchase said plant in multiple forms.
Old 28 January 2016, 10:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
But unfortunate big pharma can't sell something that a guy can grow in his garage
This hits the nail on the head exactly.
Old 28 January 2016, 10:39
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post

I'm for it if it gives relief to those who need it. Anything other than the fucking travesty the VA is doing nowadays with the anti-depressants, etc.
I agree the pill pushing is getting old.
Old 28 January 2016, 10:54
Shakin' the bush Boss

No shit. Had I followed the VA's medical advise for the last few years I'd be an oxy addict. Instead I used my Tricare and went to a civilian ortho and actually got the problem fixed instead.

As for the pot, I'm kind of on the fence. I'm not a weed guy, but I'm sure it helps a lot of people and it sure ain't as bad for you as oxy or some other pharmaceutical option.
Old 28 January 2016, 10:55
Confirmed User

Doesnt the VA already have Marynol, spelling?.
Bigfpharm would lose their mind and have to take their own meds if MJ were allowed.
Old 28 January 2016, 10:58
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I find it depressingly ironic that someone who was injured in the defense of their country, is not legally permitted to follow the treatment regimen he desires and instead is placed on a fantastically expensive regimen that has tons and tons of evidence of being harmful.

What a world we live in....
Old 28 January 2016, 11:00
Unemployed Stunt Double

The dysfunctional government entity that makes laws wants another dysfunctional government entity that...pretty much can't do anything right...to break federal law...

Well, that's just perfect.
Old 28 January 2016, 12:37
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
No shit. Had I followed the VA's medical advise for the last few years I'd be an oxy addict. Instead I used my Tricare and went to a civilian ortho and actually got the problem fixed instead.

As for the pot, I'm kind of on the fence. I'm not a weed guy, but I'm sure it helps a lot of people and it sure ain't as bad for you as oxy or some other pharmaceutical option.
I'm not a weed guy either. Now that my cancer has moved into my pelvis, is inoperable, and I've already had the allowable amount of radiation therapy, my treatment options are now pretty much limited to pain management. I just had an appointment yesterday, and my onocologist said "be more aggressive with your pain meds (oxy)"

I have never been a pill guy either. I already take 18 pills a day, and absolutely hate the way oxy makes me feel. I have had many people tell me I need to look into the medical marijuana option, to which I have been resistant to doing.

I guess I am kind of hoping VA makes this an option, because the Duke Cancer center does not. If the VA does make this an option I may eventually seriously consider it as my condition progresses
Old 28 January 2016, 12:52

Tripod -- I'm very saddened to read the above. No, saddened doesn't convey my thoughts. I wish I had a better command of the English language to relate in writing how I feel. I don't, so instead, please accept that it is heartbreaking for me to read this.

Fuck the pills. Get the MJ. Doesn't have to be in pill form -- they even have gummy bears -- no, not a joke. And if you don't have their (the govt's) permission? What are they going to do? Right.

Fuck cancer....
Old 28 January 2016, 12:53
Drawing my cutlass

^^^Can't add anymore to that wise post.

You have a network here you can count on, Tripod.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 28 January 2016, 13:11
Authorized Personnel

Thanks guys - yes I know I do and is why I came back to interact with you all again.

SOTB brother - again, thanks. You have been a great vocal supporter here for me over the last few years, and it means a lot and is greatly appreciated.

I posted because I am an example of someone who may benefit from he proposed legislation. I have a couple 30 year old kids, so getting it through "other channels" has never been an issue. Lol. I haven't yet - because I still like to work on occasion - with guns - and so far have not wanted to become reliant on any narcotic of drug that would make it unethical/stupid for me to step foot on a firing line.

But, the day will come where I will have to get to that point I'm sure. And when that happens I will no longer be able to be in a training environment - so when/if the time comes it won't be a decision I will take lightly
Old 28 January 2016, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod
I haven't yet - because I still like to work on occasion - with guns - and so far have not wanted to become reliant on any narcotic of drug that would make it unethical/stupid for me to step foot on a firing line.

But, the day will come where I will have to get to that point I'm sure. And when that happens I will no longer be able to be in a training environment - so when/if the time comes it won't be a decision I will take lightly
Bullshit. I know people who smoke weed often and they aren't addicts. They sure as hell are not reliant. And they happen to be quite successful people in their fields -- one of them is on the same lvl as a rocket scientist, in his field.

Any pain killer can be abused. Even aspirin. And all abuses take tolls. Even aspirin. Whether we allow ourselves to abuse the pain killer is as much our decision as it is the effect of the chemical.

If your pain is being tolerated simply because you worry that smoking weed or popping an occasional gummy bear will affect your judgement on the range -- it is MY opinion that such a fear is vastly overrated. I cannot speak to the worry of a background investigation or concern if you were busted -- but unless you are hitting up before range time, I think you are fine. IMO, apply the same mindset you would with alcohol -- ie, zero tolerance for even an open cannister near you and your guns. A bad day at home, unable to sleep, or it just hurts to get up and do some yardwork -- dude, don't hesitate a minute to do what is right for you and your family.

I know that when I check out, I want -- if at all possible to arrange it -- for my daughter and my friends to have the most awesome memories of the moments leading up to that event. The last thing I want is to close my eyes the last time and know they would years later refer to those moments as painful and heartbreaking. Fuck that. I'm throwing a party and then getting my base jumping bucket list item checked....
Old 28 January 2016, 14:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Bullshit. I know people who smoke weed often and they aren't addicts.
"Hell, I've been snorting coke for 25 years and I'm not hooked" Richard Pryor
Old 28 January 2016, 14:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Bullshit. I know people who smoke weed often and they aren't addicts.
Exactly.

However I know a lot of people who are no bullshit addicted to pain meds.
Old 28 January 2016, 14:42
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
You ever suck dick for weed!?
-Bob Saget referring to cocaine in "Half Baked"

Our new posting rules