SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 28 January 2016, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Exactly.

However I know a lot of people who are no bullshit addicted to pain meds.
I can imagine. I've never been addicted to any substance (pussy and caffeine aside), but I had surgery once and the doc prescribed me Vicodin as the post op pain mitigation treatment.

1 prescription. No refills. About 14 pills.

Holy shit I can EASILY see how addicting it could be. I almost asked for another refill from the doc, it was that "nice" of a feeling for me. It's really crazy stuff.

Addiction to prescription narcotics reminds me of that WOPR quote from the movie Wargames: "the only winning move is not to play".

Fuck the VA for putting people in that situation
Old 28 January 2016, 15:21
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post

Fuck the VA for putting people in that situation
This times a million.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 28 January 2016, 15:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post

Holy shit I can EASILY see how addicting it could be. I almost asked for another refill from the doc, it was that "nice" of a feeling for me. It's really crazy stuff.
Me too. I've never had vicodin but I've had oxycotin and oxy codone and holy fuck but for sheer will to NOT take them even when I don't need them I'd be in an alley somewhere giving handies for pain meds.
Old 28 January 2016, 15:23
Shakin' the bush Boss

Tripod-
When my daughter was at Duke, they had her on Marinol. It's the pill form THC. For her it was mainly used as an appetite stimulant post-transplant, but it may be something you want to look into vs the oxy or whatever path they're pointing you down. You'll get a kick out of this, she was only 17 at the time and when the Dr told her what marinol was she asked him with a straight face if it was going to make her want to eat ho-ho's and listen to Pink Floyd.

If you decide you need weed let me know. I have weed head buddies and I'll deliver however much you think you need to Oak Island. On me. And I won't even make too many Cheech and Chong jokes.
Old 28 January 2016, 15:35
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Tripod-
When my daughter was at Duke, they had her on Marinol. It's the pill form THC. For her it was mainly used as an appetite stimulant post-transplant, but it may be something you want to look into vs the oxy or whatever path they're pointing you down. You'll get a kick out of this, she was only 17 at the time and when the Dr told her what marinol was she asked him with a straight face if it was going to make her want to eat ho-ho's and listen to Pink Floyd.

If you decide you need weed let me know. I have weed head buddies and I'll deliver however much you think you need to Oak Island. On me. And I won't even make too many Cheech and Chong jokes.
I meant to tell you earlier how happy I am that she finally beat it once and for all. I remember us talking about it all a few years ago. It's awesome

Weed aside (and I'm sure they grow some good shit up in your neck of the woods) now that I have a boat you and the family need to get down here when it warms up so we can do some fishing in the ICW (nice red rum and flounder) and catch up on things. The Wimmen folk can go do a paint and drink wine class while we reminisce about how cool we use to be.
Old 28 January 2016, 15:39
Shakin' the bush Boss

Love to. I've got a buddy that has a place down in Supply and I'm usually there once per summer. I love to flounder fish.
Old 28 January 2016, 15:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Love to. I've got a buddy that has a place down in Supply and I'm usually there once per summer. I love to flounder fish.
Let's make sure we do that
Old 28 January 2016, 16:55
Another pool cleaner

Damn, reading Tripod's post about the cancer occurrence is tough.

Also shows how tough you are.

I got nothing else to add.

Pain is handled differently by different people. You do what you feel is right.

Much respect to you, Tripod.
Old 28 January 2016, 18:14
Confirmed User

As an anesthetist, I naturally spent a lot of time studying drugs, pain, and pain control.

It is so funny (not the right word) to me how we picked alcohol to be legal and marijuana to be illegal. Drunk driving? Bar fights? Frat boys drinking themselves to death, yeah Marijuana is terrible.

Problem is Big Pharma:
sleeping medicine
anxiety
Irritable bowel
Acid reflux
Pain and there are a 100 reasons for pain, not just broken bones.
Nerve damage from Diabetes
Cancer pain, chemo therapy nausea and vomiting.
...I'm getting bored, I could list 50 more.
Point is each one of those conditions has 10-20 or more meds used to treat it. Marijuana alone could treat every single one of those symptoms.
It seems as though medical marijuana is gaining traction, hang in there it should be legal soon.
In the mean time maybe you could see an outside doc to prescribe it for you. As long as the VA doesn't drug test you and nix your benefits.
Old 28 January 2016, 19:56
Calix Meus Inebrians

It's BS that the VA isn't allowing this. It's BS that Congress is 'asking' the VA to allow it instead of passing a bill allowing, or even better insisting they do it. I'd imagine there are enough studies to at least let the VA run a trial group of their own to gauge this issue from their own observations.

This issue is depressing (guess I need that pill) when the answer is too obvious. It's pretty easy to see where priorities are.

Tripod, take care of yourself, man. If anyone wants to try and browbeat you for doing something that makes too much sense, I'd imagine there are plenty of us here that would stand shoulder to shoulder with you and tell them to go fuck themselves.

Our new posting rules